Suggestions on a new, possible temp controlled mod and new tanks

spydre

Hi!  It's that time for me, and I'll be moving up in the mod world from my SVD and probably from the Nautilus tanks.  I like the volume that the Nautilus holds, but it never fails, when it's getting close to time to fill it, it starts leaking - on both my tanks - and they have from the beginning.  So I'm looking for new tanks (I've completely stopped using the ProTanks and Davides, not enough airflow), hopefully top fill tanks, and I'm thinking about a temperature control tank, but it doesn't have to be temperature control, but definitely something that can go up to 50 watts at least - out of a Herakles I was hitting one brand at 45 watts.  Tried the Herakles + and I'm not sure about it.  My SO told me not to leave the flow control open when I'm not using it, so what did I do?  I picked up, didn't open the flow control again, and burned the coil.

BTW, is it pronounced HERAkles, or Hercules?  It's nitpicky, but my sister and her friends say it's pronounced Hercules, and that's not how it's spelled, so I just want to know if I'm saying it right.  The shops have all said HERAkles, not HERCUles.

I never close the air control when not using it. What mod you choose depends on what you prefer. Do you like built it batteries or replaceable batteries? What watts do you plan to use, or need? What brand do you prefer? There are so many choices its enough to drive someone crazy.

My favorite tank is the Kanger Subtank Mini, but other people will recommend something else.

Edited by FXRich

Rich, I'm completely open on this.  I don't know what direction to go.  I've been sometimes using my husband's old IVP 2, but that strips the battery covering off - my husband says it's because of the upside down orientation of the batteries, not the way the battery compartment opens, and it's also misreading.  It's been dropped a few times and that is causing problems.  I've used both built in batteries (MVP) and replaceable batteries (everything else), although with a built in battery, you almost have to have a second unit on hand to use when it's charging, right?

I don't really have a brand preference because I don't know anything about what's out there now.  I've spent a year with my SVD, six months before that was with one of the last of Sigelei Zmaxes, a year with the VTR before that, and the MVP before that.  As far as tanks, well, I have a very limited history with tanks, the nautilus being my first foray outside of the Protank and Davide world, but I also sometimes use a Herakles (heck, I don't even know how to fill it, my husband fills it for me), but it needs retired because of fall damage causing leakage - part of it got bent, so you almost have to have a paper towel with it if you are vaping it for a long time, and it's best to disconnect it from the tank if it's going to be sitting for a long time.  I will say that I prefer the bvt coils that the Nautilus has to dual coils, usually, but I THINK nautilus is the only brand that uses bvt, right?

I'm not looking to go VTR type heavy again, though.  

Edited by spydre

You could go simple and get a ijust or maybe a subvod, no VW but they work well. I only have Kanger mods so I can't be much help on choosing a mod, except I can tell you the Top tank mini 75w TC is a good setup, top fill and replaceable 18650 battery. The Pico sounds like a good mod, if you decide on a TC mod try to get one that can use a variety of coils. Ti, Ni, SS, and maybe NiCr.

Hey, Spydre, you're not looking to build your own coils, are you? If you are, I highly recommend the Russian 91% version 2. Earthling got me hooked on that one.

Otherwise, I'm still loving my Aspire Triton 2. It can take a whole bunch of different materials and builds for coils (prebuilt coils) and you can also get an RBA for it at a minimal cost if you want to build your own. The Triton is a top fill.

For batteries, I'm still stuck on the Eleaf iStick 50W although I did venture out to get a Coolfire IV 100TC and an Eleaf iStick 70WTC. For me, I prefer the built in battery rather than having to charge outside the mod. YMMV. There are so many choices out there now that it makes my head spin.  :) 

53 minutes ago, Tam said:

Hey, Spydre, you're not looking to build your own coils, are you? If you are, I highly recommend the Russian 91% version 2. Earthling got me hooked on that one.

Otherwise, I'm still loving my Aspire Triton 2. It can take a whole bunch of different materials and builds for coils (prebuilt coils) and you can also get an RBA for it at a minimal cost if you want to build your own. The Triton is a top fill.

For batteries, I'm still stuck on the Eleaf iStick 50W although I did venture out to get a Coolfire IV 100TC and an Eleaf iStick 70WTC. For me, I prefer the built in battery rather than having to charge outside the mod. YMMV. There are so many choices out there now that it makes my head spin.  :) 

Oh, I'm definitely not looking to build my own coils.  My husband had a russian 91 that he used for a while, and he got me one, and I didn't like it.  I can't remember why.  Tam, how long does the battery take to charge?  What do you do in the mean time, or do you have two?

30 minutes ago, spydre said:

Oh, I'm definitely not looking to build my own coils.  My husband had a russian 91 that he used for a while, and he got me one, and I didn't like it.  I can't remember why.  Tam, how long does the battery take to charge?  What do you do in the mean time, or do you have two?

LOL. I've lost count how many I have now... about... an even dozen? I actively rotate two that I use with tanks and keep three more charged up ready to be put into the rotation when I need to charge the ones I'm using. The 4400 mAh battery of the iStick 50W is so huge, I only have to charge once every four days or so of pretty constant vaping. It takes about five - six hours to charge but these are also pass throughs so you can vape while it's charging, I just prefer not to for safety reasons.

Right now the Vapor Talk store doesn't stock them and I can't remember if Chris said he'd get them in or not. Vape Shop.com has them for $29.35 each.

Hi

I really like my eleaf 60W TC it has plenty of power and I love you can change both the batteries and the side panels depending on your mood ;) (there's black, blue, white, gray and a nice turquoise colors I hope they come out with a red set soon and then I'll be in hog heaven :D I'm not a fan of those silicone covers so this works great for me.

I have a pico that I also love and now they've come out with the pico mega that goes to 100W with upgradable firmware it's a great little mod.

I can't really recommend  a tank but tell you what I like and why...  the Melo III that comes with the pico has great airflow when it's fully open (I love a lot of air) Though, I really do like my Bellus it has decent but not enormous amounts of airflow, I find it's the best for fruit flavors but it is an RTA. I gave away my nautilus tank because it was too restrictive for me. I switched to the Avocado so I can build my coils and change up juices easily by re-wicking it was the most economical for me. I have to admit it's been quite an adventure but well worth it. (I did but some premade coils too and it's a snap to change them out and the flavor is great)

I hope that might have helped a little, here's a picture ...from left to right Bellus tank, eleaf 60's in white and teal, mini istick 10W with tiny RDA and Melo III tank

(Isn't that mini istick 10W cute..impulse buy but I have to admit I LOVE it for tasting my juices and it has great flavor)

mods.JPG

Here's a picture of my pico with an eleaf ijust 2 5ml tank that I use quite a bit. It has pretty good airflow and also you can buy or build coils for it.

mod2.JPG

36 minutes ago, Edna said:

Hi

I really like my eleaf 60W TC it has plenty of power and I love you can change both the batteries and the side panels depending on your mood ;) (there's black, blue, white, gray and a nice turquoise colors I hope they come out with a red set soon and then I'll be in hog heaven :D I'm not a fan of those silicone covers so this works great for me.

I have a pico that I also love and now they've come out with the pico mega that goes to 100W with upgradable firmware it's a great little mod.

I can't really recommend  a tank but tell you what I like and why...  the Melo III that comes with the pico has great airflow when it's fully open (I love a lot of air) Though, I really do like my Bellus it has decent but not enormous amounts of airflow, I find it's the best for fruit flavors but it is an RTA. I gave away my nautilus tank because it was too restrictive for me. I switched to the Avocado so I can build my coils and change up juices easily by re-wicking it was the most economical for me. I have to admit it's been quite an adventure but well worth it. (I did but some premade coils too and it's a snap to change them out and the flavor is great)

I hope that might have helped a little, here's a picture ...from left to right Bellus tank, eleaf 60's in white and teal, mini istick 10W with tiny RDA and Melo III tank

(Isn't that mini istick 10W cute..impulse buy but I have to admit I LOVE it for tasting my juices and it has great flavor)

mods.JPG

I like that Istick mini

14 hours ago, Tam said:

Don't know why it keeps trying to make me quote you, Tam.  Are all the iSticks with a built in battery?  Then again, I won't need more than 50 watts, maybe 75.

1 hour ago, spydre said:

Don't know why it keeps trying to make me quote you, Tam.  Are all the iSticks with a built in battery?  Then again, I won't need more than 50 watts, maybe 75.

The istick 60w TC, 100w TC, 200w TC, and the Pico all use replaceable 18650 batteries. 

9 hours ago, cany said:

I like that Istick mini

It's actually a lot of fun the RDA's tiny coils are 2.4 ohm and the mini is 10W so it works great together. I got 100 prewicked coils for $1.50 from FT but I got some  unwicked coils as well  and they're not hard to run bacon cotton through. I was shocked how easy it was. It has really good flavor. I was amazed.

3 hours ago, FXRich said:

The istick 60w TC, 100w TC, 200w TC, and the Pico all use replaceable 18650 batteries. 

The pico comes in both 75 and 100 watts depending on which you want.

1 hour ago, Edna said:

It's actually a lot of fun the RDA's tiny coils are 2.4 ohm and the mini is 10W so it works great together. I got 100 prewicked coils for $1.50 from FT but I got some  unwicked coils as well  and they're not hard to run bacon cotton through. I was shocked how easy it was. It has really good flavor. I was amazed.

The pico comes in both 75 and 100 watts depending on which you want.

What tank on the mini?

Hey, question about the Aspire Triton and the Herakles Plus (if the flow control is left open).  They won't flood or leak if I lay the mod on it's side, will they?  Because it never fails, I put my mod in my purse when we are going out somewhere, and it ends up on it's side.  Same with my husband's mod, which is much bigger around (it's a something DNA 20) - if it's in my purse, it ends up on it's side, but he has the Herakles Plus and closes the flow control when he's not using it.

Also, does the iStick have a method for turning it off without removing the battery, or at least locking the menu or the wattage setting?

13 hours ago, spydre said:

Hey, question about the Aspire Triton and the Herakles Plus (if the flow control is left open).  They won't flood or leak if I lay the mod on it's side, will they?  Because it never fails, I put my mod in my purse when we are going out somewhere, and it ends up on it's side.  Same with my husband's mod, which is much bigger around (it's a something DNA 20) - if it's in my purse, it ends up on it's side, but he has the Herakles Plus and closes the flow control when he's not using it.

Also, does the iStick have a method for turning it off without removing the battery, or at least locking the menu or the wattage setting?

When I put my Triton in my purse, it inevitably ends up riding around on its side and I've not had leaking or flooding problems.

The iStick 50W has five click on/off button and it will lock the watts/volts to whatever you set it on when you press and hold the up and down buttons at the same time for a few seconds. "Lock" or "Unlock" will appear on the display.

On 8/17/2016 at 6:29 PM, cany said:

What tank on the mini?

@canyIn the RDA on the mini yes. Sorry I was slow my sister got hurt and I had to go down south to take care of things and didn't take my computer.

On 8/18/2016 at 7:51 AM, spydre said:

@spydre Sorry I'm slow to respond yes to both. Just like regular mods you click 5 times for on/off and yes you can lock the wattage. One thing I learned the hard way though is re-lock the wattage right after you switch out the battery. It doesn't have a self-powered memory. I throw mine in my purse pocket all the time.No leaks, no problems.

7 minutes ago, Edna said:

@canyIn the RDA on the mini yes. Sorry I was slow my sister got hurt and I had to go down south to take care of things and didn't take my computer.

@Edna  whats the name of the tank

Edited by cany

19 hours ago, cany said:

@Edna  whats the name of the tank

@cany It's a generic tank based on a smoka mini RDA that I can't find anywhere So I found these on FT, and have the red, blue and silver. I did drill out the air holes to make it bigger with a 5/64 bit and that made it draw better, they're aluminum so it was really quick and easy. .

Here it the blue one:  https://www.fasttech.com/p/1395705

15 hours ago, spydre said:

@Edna I'm sorry about your sister.

@spydreThanks

She'll be ok (phew) her horse just kicked out and tried to cave in her chest...She's got a badly bruised breast and sternum and a cracked rib.

Any thoughts on, let's see, the first tank I can remember from the shop today is the KBOX 75 Watt?  Seems to me like almost the same thing as the iStick 50 W - same built in battery.  Heck, same price point so it's feasible to buy 2 to have one while the other is charging if you don't want to use it on pass-through (doesn't vaping while doing that shorten the battery life?).

Also, does anyone have any experience with Ewell Crown tanks?

Thanks.  Went into the shop today and there were too many more choices and my head is full and confused.

Tina

3 hours ago, spydre said:

Any thoughts on, let's see, the first tank I can remember from the shop today is the KBOX 75 Watt?  Seems to me like almost the same thing as the iStick 50 W - same built in battery

The Kbox 75w uses a 18650 battery, not built in, but the Kanger 70w is almost identical to the istick  50w.

Other than the 70w only has a 4000mAh battery, it also has TC, which the istick 50w don't have.

Edited by FXRich