DYI-OOPS question Help please

Edna

Hey all,

I might have goofed. I tried to speed steep my e-jiuce in the microwave (I read some people do it) and I got it too hot. (dog distracted me)

Does anyone know if this ruins the juice? It had nicotine in it so I want to make sure I didn't change the chemical composition in a bad and or harmful way.

Thanks for any help on this...

Over-cooking the juice usually makes it taste like crap... as for making it "harmful"... it shouldn't affect the chemistry, even if you boiled it... other than oxygenating the nicotine, which causes it to break-down (lower) and become bitter.  I''m also sure your juice turned very dark.  Some flavors (especially natural fruit flavors) will become rancid if they've been overheated as well...even leaving them in a hot car for a day will make them intolerable to vape.

Hopefully it wasn't a big batch... but if it were me, I'd toss it because the flavor will most likely be bad, the dark color will shorten coil-life, and the nicotine will be lower and have a bitter taste.

Another way to "speed steep" your juice that's a little easier is to take a bottle of hot water (not boiling), and put your bottle of juice into it. Put the hot water into a Pyrex bowl and set it on the counter. This way, you really can't over cook/steep the juice because the water will cool on its own. If you need to, you can dump the cooled water and refill with hot water and repeat as necessary.

BTW, steeping in the microwave isn't necessary... but it is "fast", lol...  Floating the bottles in a warm water bath is also acceptable for accelerating the steeping process... but it is less about the heat and more about mixing... heating excites the molecules causing them to move, thus mixing the flavors through Physics, rather than physical exertion.  Thorough mixing when you're making them... using a vibration table, sonic cleaner, or magnetic stirrer works wonders for making a better blend.

I find (when I don't use my magnetic mixer) leaving the cap off, and putting them into an area that is warm (on a shelf above the stove, or in a room that gets a little warmer than the rest) works far better than "cooking" the juice... slow aging and daily shaking makes for a far better flavor, and depending on the juice, it will only take 2-10 days to fully "evolve" the flavor.

Luckily it was only 15ml . I'm mad I wasted all the flavoring though ...It was already a dark juice (chocolate and caramel).... Doggone it!

.I was just trying to find out what worked for me and I now know this method doesn't!!. I was excited because I got in a bunch of new flavors I wanted to try out and only have the weekend to get somethings done....Haste makes waste...I should have known better...UGH.

I looked at the magnetic mixers and they're out of my price range for the time being... I will stick with the warm water in a bowl method...

Thanks all you're terrific!

I was using a sonic cleaner for speed steeping, but the labels didn't survive very well. Now I just loosen the cap, and put them on the vent of my printer for a few hours, the air coming out of the vent is about 130f. It works for me.

I use rice in a bowl for "speed steeping". I pour a bag of rice in a mixing bowl and heat it dry in the microwave for a minute (literally!) then stick my bottles in it and cover it with a towel. Let it sit until the rice is cool. Take out the bottles and give 'em a good shake. I find it cuts steep time about 2 days for each rice "bath".

Got the idea from work! We use 'rice bags' for residents in our facility who have chronic pain. They work especially well for back and joint pain, and we use less pain medication.

Edited by VapeMama

23 hours ago, Edna said:

Luckily it was only 15ml . I'm mad I wasted all the flavoring though ...It was already a dark juice (chocolate and caramel).... Doggone it!

.I was just trying to find out what worked for me and I now know this method doesn't!!. I was excited because I got in a bunch of new flavors I wanted to try out and only have the weekend to get somethings done....Haste makes waste...I should have known better...UGH.

I looked at the magnetic mixers and they're out of my price range for the time being... I will stick with the warm water in a bowl method...

Thanks all you're terrific!

Did you try it?

Hi,

Yes, I tried it and it had a burnt taste...I poured it out and made some fresh and it tastes pretty good but I'm going to wait until it steeps another day or so.

Thanks for all your help everyone. I can always count on you all for great advice :)