Intermediate Mod Suggestions

Devv

Hi, so I am very new here and have been perusing these forums for a bit.  I've searched the web, done a bunch of reading, viewing videos, etc etc.

I've been a long time smoker who has recently transitioned to e-cigs/vaping/etc.  I started with a V2 EX starter kit, which was fine.  As I picked up a few more tanks/cartridges, I purchased some different juices/liquids.  I noticed that some were great, others not so much.  Some juices with higher VG% did not work well with the V2 EX (gurgly bubbly leaking).  From my local smoke shop I grabbed a V2 Pro Series 3 and a bunch of cartridges/tanks.  Wow, really great intro unit for vaping.  I enjoy the small size, easabilitiy of charging and overall a great product.

A friend suggested I check out Zamplebox, and got my first shipment a couple weeks ago.  While I bought a handful of new tanks for my V2, and I really enjoy the juices, I feel I am just grasping at the outer edges of vaping.

My real question is for recommendations on intermediate vaping hardware.  I have watched many videos and have been on a ton of seller websites but really don't know exactly what to buy.  A Kanger starter kit, an eGo One VT, an Eleaf Ijust2...I really don't know.  I could go for something more and get a mod setup such as the iTaste MVP 3.0 pro, but I don't know what tanks to buy, if and what coils or ohm ratings I need..  Money isn't really an object, and I'd like something I will be able to use for a while, and have multiple tanks that I can either clean and or re-use if I want to try new juices.

If you have any info, links, videos or recommendations, I would be grateful.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Devv said:

Money isn't really an object...

Those are very dangerous words to utter here.  :evil:

First, let me ask you some questions, then, we can get on to spending your money recommending equipment for you.   :D

Do you want a kit or go a la carte?

Do you want a variable voltage/variable wattage device and/or TC (temperature control)?

Do you have a preference for something that has the battery integrated into the unit or one where you can take the batteries out (this would require an additional purchase of a battery charger and batteries).

How do you vape? Are you mouth to lung (like smoking a cigarette where you draw the vapor into your mouth first before inhaling) or direct lung (where you inhale directly into your lungs)? This is so we can better recommend the right style of tank for you.

That will do for a start. Other questions will come later as we further fine tune the recommendations.

Hi thank you for the reply.  Well I suppose money is definitely an object, but I would rather spend a bit more to have a quality product than something I will end up replacing in a few months.

I have seen and read about many kits, starter kits and the like.  I have also seen video reviews of said kits that talk about the contents which say "this coil is great but the other two included are not so good."  I am all for the a la carte option but don't really know what mods, coils, tanks are compatible and really what would be the best for me.  I mentioned the eGo One VT and the iJust2, because they are similar to the "pen" type device I currently use.  I am not against a box type mod, but with any of these I mentioned, I am not really sure if/what types of tanks, coils, replacement wicks, cotton or whatever else I would need if I decide to re-use them with different liquids, clean them, or even if these are options.  Even if I need to buy a bunch of tanks, and which ones would be the best to purchase.

Battery preference, not really sure.  I can appreciate something I can plug in and charge once a day or when not in use.  Replaceable batteries I guess are an option but not necessary.  I like the option of the V2 series 3 unit I have that I can plug into a USB port or outlet.

I definitely prefer the mouth to lung vape style. A couple puffs, like smoking a pipe where you can taste the vapor a bit, then inhale and exhale.

Thank you for your help!

Edited by Devv

For someone who is still relatively new to vaping, I would suggest a battery that's integrated in the unit so you don't have to worry about getting just the right battery for temperature control or sub-ohming. If neither of these are on your horizon right now but you want something a step (or several steps) above an eGo battery and disposable tanks, I would suggest an Eleaf iStick 50W. I wouldn't suggest or recommend that you plug it into a USB to recharge. For safety's sake, I always use an AC adapter that's specially made for this unit.

Even though I'm an advanced user of sorts, I still prefer the ease and convenience of not having separate batteries. I have both kinds but the iStick is my favorite even above my Provari, which is supposed to be the Cadillac of e-cigs.  The iStick 50W has a 4400 mAh battery so I only have to charge it once every 3 - 5 days of near constant vaping. Buy two or more of these so you can use one while the other is charging. Due to some people having issues with these, I always take the tank off and turn the device off before charging, and never leave a charging battery unattended. Right now I have six of these in rotation with three more in the wings as back ups and have never had a problem with them although a couple of other members have had some issues. You can get them here for $34.95, which is an excellent price for the "simple pack" which only has the USB charging cord.  http://www.myvaporstore.com/Eleaf-iSmoka-iStick-50W-4400mAh-Simple-Pack-p/elis-is50wbk.htm

The Aspire Triton version 2 with a 1.8 ohm coil is my current favorite tank. I also do the mouth to lung and this tank is perfect for that in my opinion. For the intermediate type of tank, this one is on the higher end. Again, this is my opinion only. It can take sub-ohm coils, there are all kinds of different coils you can use with this tank but I don't like warm to hot vapor, cool is my temperature of choice. In the "kit" you'll get the tank (plastic) as well as a Pyrex tank so you can switch them out. One coil is 1.8 ohm and the other coil is a 0.5 ohm. You said you heard about coils that come with tanks and how you should just throw them out? Keep them in case of an emergency but otherwise, yeah, coils that come with tanks are usually... crap. Or nearly crap. Do yourself a favor and get 5-packs of replacement coils right off the bat. You'll never be sorry to have more coils on hand. This link here is the best price I've found and the vendor is excellent: https://www.mtbakervapor.com/tanks/aspire-triton-v2-clearomizer/

There are four different coils on this page:  https://www.mtbakervapor.com/accessories/5pk-aspire-triton-replacement-coils/

There. That's my recommendation. Others should be along to give you theirs soon.

@Earthling789

@jasonculp

@Compenstine

@cany

Just to name a few... Let the games begin!  :)

Spending other people's money?  Us?  Never! :evil:

Tam recommended a couple of great items with the iStick 50W and the Aspire Triton2 (which I have the V1 and V2, and use both), and I'll make a few additions myself, of workhorses that I use daily/weekly... without suggesting anything too advanced...

For a basic tank, I love the Kanger Aerotank V2.  It has a decent capacity and great airflow... and they're very inexpensive!  There are also LOTS of different coil resistances available for them, from 0.5 Ohm, all the way to 2.4 Ohm.  I personally prefer 1.2 and 1.5 Ohm in them.

For an intermediate tank, I cannot recommend the Kanger SubTank Mini highly enough.  Great airflow, good flavor from the coils, and they look good too, lol.  I would suggest the horizontal coils over the vertical coils though, as they last longer and taste better, IMO.  There are also many resistance options available in the coils (as well as an RBA deck for custom building)... AND, in a pinch, the Aerotank coils WILL FIT and WORK.

For box mods... the only integrated battery mods I use currently are the Wismec Presa 40W.  They're light and small (portable like your eGo's), have an all-day battery built-in, and fully adjustable Wattage control.  They even offer a TC version for $5 more, and a 75W TC version for the same price... but it requires an 18650 cell, but can also charge that cell via USB (like the 40W versions, or your eGo).

For replaceable cell mods... those that take an 18650 battery... I love my Cloupor Mini and Mini-plus mods... they are small, durable, and work very well.  The plus version offers 50W and TC, where the standard is only 30W, but more than enough power for most vapers.  They also have lots of cool colors, and the paint doesn't fade/chip nearly as bad as many of the others.

Pioneer 4 You (IPV) makes great mods, too, and I love their IPV minis, although they are getting harder to find.  30W for the V1, 70W for the V2, and they feel great in your hand, and have a bit of heft to them.

The Kangertech 50W mod that also comes as a kit paired with a SubTank mini is a great little mod, only slightly larger than the Cloupor Minis, and my only complaint on them is that you can't lock the buttons so it's very easy to accidentally adjust the wattage up or down without knowing it.  The 75W TC kit comes with the new Top-Tank (top-fill subtank), and I've not tried them yet, but my SO has a top-fill Nano, which works well, and doesn't leak.  Which also brings me to the Subvod kit... a 1300mAh large eGo style, non-variable, with a subtank Nano (smaller capacity subtank).  I don't really like the non-variable battery, but they do make great backups on a budget.

If you go with a mod that requires an 18650 battery, do yourself a favor and purchase quality, genuine cells... and I recommend the Samsung 25R5 (green) as the best all-around vaping battery, and they are also the most inexpensive, too.

Well, there's my best-of... :D

Thanks for the replies.  I think I'm going to go for it and place an order.

I wanted a one-stop shop for convenience and from your suggestions I'm going with MVS.  They don't seem to have the higher ohm coils for the Aspire Triton v2 though.

So here's my list:
Eleaf iStick 50W

Kanger Subtank Mini

Kanger Toptank Mini

Kanger SSOCC Atomizer Heads - 1.5 ohm

Aspire Triton Mini + 1.8 ohm coils

Uwell Crown Tank - 1.2 ohm coils

Joye Cubis Tank - 1.5 ohm coils

The last two were from recommendations from friends.  One swears by the Crown, and another loves the Cubis because they are inexpensive.

I totally agree with earthling on about everything, the buttons on the Kanger 75w TC can be locked. But pressing all 3 buttons at once is a little difficult. Since most of my stuff is Kanger I can't say much about the other mods he mentioned.

17 minutes ago, Devv said:

Thanks for the replies.  I think I'm going to go for it and place an order.

I wanted a one-stop shop for convenience and from your suggestions I'm going with MVS.  They don't seem to have the higher ohm coils for the Aspire Triton v2 though.

So here's my list:
Eleaf iStick 50W

Kanger Subtank Mini

Kanger Toptank Mini

Kanger SSOCC Atomizer Heads - 1.5 ohm

Aspire Triton Mini + 1.8 ohm coils

Uwell Crown Tank - 1.2 ohm coils

Joye Cubis Tank - 1.5 ohm coils

The last two were from recommendations from friends.  One swears by the Crown, and another loves the Cubis because they are inexpensive.

Are those stainless steel coils?   I don't see that you have a TC mod. Just thought I'd mention it.  If i missed something,  carry on.  You'll be happy with a lot of that.:D

7 hours ago, Bebop said:

Are those stainless steel coils?   I don't see that you have a TC mod. Just thought I'd mention it.  If i missed something,  carry on.  You'll be happy with a lot of that.:D

Not sure about that.  I am really new to this so if anything I listed is not going to be compatible with the mod box I'd like to know.  The Kanger coils I picked up are: http://www.myvaporstore.com/Kanger-NEBOX-SSOCC-Coils-p/krst-ak.htm?1=1&CartID=0

If I should pick up a TC mod that will work with these I am open to suggestions.

Also ended up ordering a bunch of juices from eliquid.com, all 3MG since I have read that higher than 6MG nicotine is not the way to go.  I'm enjoying the flavor more than the addiction of nicotine, which is definitely a good thing.

Edited by Devv

It does take a special setting to run SS in temp mode, but you don't have to run SS in TC it works pretty good in power mode too. The same for NiCr it works in power mode but you can use it in TC too if your mod has a TC NiCr mode. The new Kanger TC mods have modes for Ti, Ni, SS, and NiCr. Technology is moving pretty fast in vaping hardware. Rumor has it that with the new Kanger mods you can run Kanthal in the NiCr mode and get temp control, but you have to use a lower setting. I have tried it and it does work. 

3 minutes ago, Devv said:

Also ended up ordering a bunch of juices from eliquid.com, all 3MG since I have read that higher than 6MG nicotine is not the way to go.  I'm enjoying the flavor more than the addiction of nicotine, which is definitely a good thing.

If the 3 mg of nic is working for you, then I wouldn't change a thing. If it's not quite doing it for you, go up a little. Personally, I started with 24 mg of nic in my juice to get me off cigarettes, but that was with a whole different set up. The tanks and coils these days are much different from back then so a lower amount may work just as well. You want to be watching the PG/VG levels of your juice, though. Too much VG and the juice will be too thick for the wick to properly absorb so you may get dry hits, which are not pleasant. Most people go with a 40 PG/60 VG or 30 PG/70 VG. I wouldn't go much higher on the VG than 70% or it would be too thick.

1 hour ago, Tam said:

With all those tanks I hope you're buying more than one iStick 50W or at least another mod/battery for a back up.

My thing is that I don't really vape until I get out of work.  I am in the hospitality business and don't usually get home until late, 11 PM - 1AM.  I'm a night owl so I'm usually asleep by 2-3AM.  So I really have no issue with using one device for a few hours.  If I need a fix on a busy night at work I have alternatives.  I'm hoping that the purchases I've made will keep me satisfied for a bit, but there is always the new shiny stuff that I will eventually cave in and grab in the future.

Just now, Devv said:

My thing is that I don't really vape until I get out of work.  I am in the hospitality business and don't usually get home until late, 11 PM - 1AM.  I'm a night owl so I'm usually asleep by 2-3AM.  So I really have no issue with using one device for a few hours.  If I need a fix on a busy night at work I have alternatives.  I'm hoping that the purchases I've made will keep me satisfied for a bit, but there is always the new shiny stuff that I will eventually cave in and grab in the future.

We stress getting back ups because you never know what will happen. What if you drop it and the battery no longer works? Do you want to wait a few days for another one to come in the mail? What happens if the battery just stops working for no reason? That can also happen. Even though they say you can vape while the iStick is charging, I wouldn't recommend doing that. So, when it's charging, what are you going to use? Getting back ups and back ups of back ups (in case of multiple failures -- it's happened to most of us on this forum), is always a good idea.

15 minutes ago, Tam said:

If the 3 mg of nic is working for you, then I wouldn't change a thing. If it's not quite doing it for you, go up a little. Personally, I started with 24 mg of nic in my juice to get me off cigarettes, but that was with a whole different set up. The tanks and coils these days are much different from back then so a lower amount may work just as well. You want to be watching the PG/VG levels of your juice, though. Too much VG and the juice will be too thick for the wick to properly absorb so you may get dry hits, which are not pleasant. Most people go with a 40 PG/60 VG or 30 PG/70 VG. I wouldn't go much higher on the VG than 70% or it would be too thick.

Ya as I said I'm a bit of a research hound.  All the info I've seen in this forum and others mentioned that higher nicotine with quality hardware can be a bit harsh.  I am at the point now where I don't even reach for "analog" cigarettes.  If a friend has one and we're out and having a drink, sure.  But not something that I NEED to go out and have a pack on me at all times.  Most of the juices I ended up grabbing are either 40/60 or 30/70 PG/VG.  Popular, quality stuff.  Really looking forward to my new purchases so thanks to all!

8 minutes ago, Tam said:

We stress getting back ups because you never know what will happen. What if you drop it and the battery no longer works? Do you want to wait a few days for another one to come in the mail? What happens if the battery just stops working for no reason? That can also happen. Even though they say you can vape while the iStick is charging, I wouldn't recommend doing that. So, when it's charging, what are you going to use? Getting back ups and back ups of back ups (in case of multiple failures -- it's happened to most of us on this forum), is always a good idea.

Good point.  So if I was to purchase an alternative, should I get another eleaf 50w for backup?  I'm all for trying new things, I'm sure you all have some favorites.  Granted something that I will be able to pop my tanks onto without any issues.

Another thing, nobody here has mentioned that the equipment I decided to purchase will have major issues with the setup I'm going for.  This was my major concern, having tanks/coils/mod that do not work well together.  The coils I decided on are supposed to work with the tanks they are paired with, will I need a TC mod box to get the full effect from them?  Again any opinions or suggestions are welcome.

Edited by Devv

There are industry standards that most manufacturers follow that essentially allow you to marry any tank with any mod. There are a few exceptions but even those have adapters that you can use. Everything you have listed is compatible.  The only thing you are going to run in to is slight variations in performance that may not amount to much at all.  And then there's the learning curve where you learn what your preferences are, what you like and dislike about a mod or a tank. This will change over time too.  Have fun exploring. And don't forget to pay forward anything that doesn't suit you. A little good karma never hurt a vaper. :)

So I got my stuff yesterday!  Exciting!

I am very happy with all my purchases.

Eleaf iStick 50W - Amazing little device!  Really easy to use, perfect size and I'm nowhere near using the full capacity of this mod.  Maybe in the future but its definitely a keeper.

Kanger tanks are solid.  Really well built and seem very easy to clean.  I love the airflow options on their tanks, good for mouth to lungers and straight lung hitters.

Aspire Triton Mini is also a great product.  A little harder to assemble/disassemble than the Kangers.  Has a fill/smoke switch that I've accidentally twisted a couple times, just opens up the top vents for easy filling.  Airflow is not as precise, has one big hole which you can twist to open/close.  May be better geared for straight lung hits.

Uwell Crown Tank is a beast.  Heavy and much larger than my other tanks.  Airflow is a bit crazy with this tank.  A bit too much so.  You really need to pull hard since there is so much air being pulled through, even with the airflow setting barely cracked open.  With that said, I'm enjoying it with lung hits.  Glad I put a mild sweet juice in there with no throat hit (Miss Samoa by FA-Q).  Very quiet draw from this tank considering how much air you're pulling in.  I think its more of a "cloud chaser" tank than the others.

Joye Cubis Tank was really a surprise.  A friend recommended and I would definitely do the same.  The tank is nicely built and is a cup-style fill.  It doesn't completely come apart but it is very easy to assemble, change coils and fill.  Also comes with three replacement coils/heads, which are very unique, as they draw juice from the very bottom of the unit.  I thought it was a neat design.  A bit gurgly at first, and does make a bit more noise when drawing compared to the above tanks.

Thank you so much to all of you here @VaporTalk.  I came here with an idea of what I wanted, and you all helped me fine tune a bit and made sure I got something to suit my needs.  I will definitely be sticking around and hopefully can return the favor with future members.

Edited by Devv