I am 6 weeks off traditional ciggs :) and trying to taper down on the nicotine. Started with 12mg and 30 days later mixed 50/50 12mg & 6 mg = 9mg. I noticed a significant mood change the first week of this change but have since adjusted. I am curious to know how and how often others have tapered down. Is there a specific amount of time that needs to pass before decreasing levels, a suggested timeline?

Thanks,

Denise

Edited by drp2172000

Hi, Denise, and welcome to VT!

Nicotine is not the evil that our government and media like to portray it as... yes, it is addictive, but not nearly as addictive (or dangerous) as the 4000+ other chemicals in cigarettes.  Nicotine is not carcinogenic (proven by multiple, independent labs, including the CDC/FDA)!  There is nothing written in stone that says you must taper down your Nicotine, but if you do, you do so at your own pace... some never lower their levels, some drop 3-6mg/ml ever few months/years.  Some people like me use lower levels most days, but still keep some 18-24mg around for really bad days :)

Nicotine is absorbed faster when it is heated... a tank/coil combo running at 2.0 Ohms and low Wattages will not be as hot as a sub-ohm tank running 0.2 Ohms and high Wattages.  This is another reason for keeping multiple Nicotine levels around.  When I'm sub-ohming, I use 3-6mg, when I'm using a traditional tank, I'm using 9-12mg, and some days higher.  Chain-vaping or casual vaping also affect what Nicotine level you want/need... If chain-vaping, you'll want lower levels because you're getting a constant feed of Nicotine.  If you can only vape a few minutes every couple of hours (shift work), then you may want much higher levels, to tide you over between breaks?

You'll slow the Nicotine at your own pace... or not at all... either way is acceptable, but don't rush the drop if you are trying to wean yourself away totally... Drop your levels too fast, and your body will crave it, and you'll be drawn back to the analogs, have stomach issues, headaches... basic withdrawal symptoms... such as the mood swing you've already experienced :)

No exact(or not exact) formula, everybody is so different. Personally I can go anywhere from 0 to 18, my only problem with the zero is the lack of throat hit, even when I doctor it up. I never had any particular reaction to cutting down nicotine, my addiction is totally hand to mouth (and apparently throat.)

I would think every couple of weeks or so should be OK, you can always keep a higher nicotine level on hand for any bad patches. Sometimes alternating the lower and higher can soften the symptoms

BTW, congrats on six weeks!

like earthing said!

To me, tapering down is as personal a thing as what setups we use, what juices we vape etc. Initially, I tapered from 18 to 12 to 6mg about every 2-3 months. I haven't gone down any further in the past 6 months or so, and at this point don't plan to. I'm good where I am.

Congrats on the 6 weeks so far.  Those weeks start to really add up and before you know it, it will be 6 months.

For me, my first drop in nicotine level wasn't necessarily a choice.  I started at 18mg and was I vaping a single flavor.  I was running low on that particular flavor and needed to get some more.  The particular flavor I wanted was out of stock in 18mg, so I stepped down to 12mg.  This was early on in my vaping journey and I simply didn't have time to sit around and test multiple flavors to see if there was something else I liked.  As it turned out, the only difference I noticed was a slight increase in consumption to make up for the lower nicotine level for the first two to three days.  No mood swings.

My other drops in nic levels have been more related to changes in equipment.  When I started using sub-ohm tanks and RDA's with sub-ohm builds on a regulated device I was fortunate enough to have paid attention to various posts here on Vapor Talk.  I knew ahead of time the 12mg I was vaping at 1.8 ohms was likely going to be way too strong at .7 ohms or lower, so I dropped to 6mg and I didn't have any issues with it.  I am still at 6mg in my tanks, but I have stepped down to 3mg on my RDA's, whether I'm using a regulated box mod or a mech mod.

My suggested timeline for you is whatever you decide is best for you.  If vaping at 12mg for 30 days then tapering down to 9mg has worked, then perhaps tapering to 6mg at the end of the second 30 day period is a good idea.  If you think you need a little more time, then go a couple of extra weeks.  The important part is staying away from the analogs :)

Welcome Denise! You've been given a lot of good feedback and advice already so I won't repeat what they all told you. Earthling's advice is closest to what I've done. These days I mostly vape 3 mg nic when I started at 24 mg. If you look at the various juices I use, you'll find anything from 24 to 0, it all depends on the situation I'm in. If I can't vape very often I'll go with an 18 or 24 so I can get in a few quick hits and be good for awhile. If I'm relaxing and constantly vaping I'll go with a 3 mg or even 0 just for the hand to mouth motion. There is no timeline you have to follow, just do what works best for you. You'll find what's right for you and hopefully, you'll have fun finding out what it is.  :)

Vape 18mg and have for a little over 2 years after about 6 months on 24mg. That is where I am, where I want to be lol. I have no plans to drop any further because I like nicotine and see it as minimally dangerous (on par with caffeine). Thats not so say someday I may want to drop down but if I do, it will be to stop vaping all together. I will say this, I will never vape 0mg nic.

Tobacco is the enemy, not nicotine. I just have to say that every once in a while when one of these posts come up lol. Everyone is different what is right for me is irrelevant lol.