Watch Collections?

My company recently sent me a 15-yr anniversary gift of a really nice Seiko Chronograph (solar) watch, complete with company logo, date, and my name engraved on the back.  (I would have preferred a raise, but hey, the watch is a nice gesture, lol)

As it is too nice of a watch for daily wear, I put it away in my watch case, along with my other nicer watches, and suddenly realized, I need a bigger watch case :) 

Without even realizing it, I've started a nice collection of finer watches, once you add in the ones I inherited from my grandfathers, uncles, and my dad... Omega, Benrus, Bulova, Citizen, Seiko, Pulsar, Caravelle, Hamilton, and of course a fine selection of (non-functional) Timex, Casio, and a couple of unknown-brand cheap-o's! 

Sadly, no Rolex, Breitling, or Tag Heuer's.... but, the Omega was my grandfather's pride-and-joy, because he was determined to "own a $100 watch before he died", and finally bought one in the 1960's ;)

Anyone else suddenly find themselves with a decent watch collection they didn't intend to have?

Congratulations on your 15 year anniversary! It was a nice gesture, although I agree that a raise would've been a nicer one.  :evil:

No, all of my watches, I use. Every single one of them are Seiko brand, and I replace when one dies. Luckily, I've only had to replace them four times since I was 13 and got my first "adult" watch. 

I have, however, suddenly found myself with an Alaskan gold nugget jewelry collection when I wasn't looking.  :lol:

I love watches. Sadly I cant afford the ones I really want ( Tag, Breitling etc...) I have about 10 watches but my watch case only holds 5 :D Nothing fancy just some Fossils, an Armani, Kenneth Cole, G Shock

15 years!  Cool!  Congrats.

I haven't wore a watch in gosh, 25 or so years. Always had the time on my dashboard clock or near by where I was. Now I have my cell and is, I guess, a pocket watch of sorts. LOL

I am the same way.  I have smallish wrists and never liked how they look on me.  I also wore them on the wrong hand and everyone thought I was a lefty.  I am also very hard on them.  I have thought about gettin a nice one to wear for work (now that I have to dress up for work), but like Jeffb said, all the more high end stuff is outrageous!  I want a Breitling so bad!

Tug... the Omega 007 Seamaster Constellation Chrono-Diver @ $4800 starting price is a bit out of my league, too ;)  Maybe someday I'll hit the lottery and buy one of those, and a nice Breitling too?  Of course, if I hit the lottery, I'll buy a Bentley... they come with a Breitling clock in the dash, hahaha...

Comp, I agree... with a computer usually in front of me and my cell always on my side or within arm's-reach (or a clock somewhere on a wall), I'm rarely without the "time".  With the work I use to do, I had gotten away from wearing watches (always got in the way), and of course there's the big white stripe on my wrist in the summers, because I always forgot to take off my watch when working outside, lol

Tam, I agree on the quality of Seiko... I've always been drawn to them, and own five (one of them being older than me, and still works beautifully), as well as a couple of Pulsar (made by Seiko) that had been given to me over the years.  To me, Seiko is the best bang-for-your-buck, and lately prices are not much different than Timex, Fossil, Citizen, Invicta, etc.

Jeff, Amazon has a black (fake) leather 12 watch case with grey cloth interior for $19 Prime.  I was just looking at it!

I have decided to start wearing some of these... at least the ones in good working condition (like most of the Seiko's and Bulovas)... I think it will add to my wardrobe at work :)  It seems a shame to just leave them in a box....

Don't have a lot of watches now.
The only watch I really wanted was a Pilot watch,
since the day a Naval Aviator came to the house to visit my Dad
when I was in High School.
Finally got around to getting one close to it about 8 years ago.
Not much, but I truly love this thing.

006-1.jpg

Edited by MudDrum

I like the visual of the gears too, but not so much on the front... makes it harder to see the hands, or at least it is for my tired eyes :)

A couple of my Seiko watches have the crystal backs, so you can see the inner workings them from the rear... I think they are called "presentation backs"?