Aspire Atlantis + Atlantis 2.0 / V2

Hello vapers........

So, Aspire is releasing a version 2 of their original (and still kinda new) Atlantis, allegedly amdist complaints galore about their silica-containing wicks, and the fact they are mainly nickel-plated, NOT stainless as advertised.

This is all quite disheartening for me and makes me have less faith in Aspire. I love my Atantis, it's introduced me to sub-ohm vaping which I truly enjoy.

However, I found out that not only is the wick NOT %100 cotton (contains silica wick, which is KNOWN to cause lung cancer/meso/etc when inhaled), the unit is not stainless steel much.

So. Hopes are high but cautious for the Atlantis V2.

I'm hoping we get %100 cotton wicks and a truly all stainless steel unit. It WILL be heavily scrutinized by the public after what's basically considered a lie was told to the public about the Atlantis.

Also, the rumor is the V2 all-cotton coils will be usable (the 0.5 ohm version) on the Atlantis V1. Let's hope so.

I invite anyone to chime in on the Atlantits, Atlantis V2, or comments about silica wicking here in this thread.

All the best. Let's live to vape safely.

If nothing else, I give them kudos for coming clean and releasing a better version. I'm not sure if I'm remembering this correctly or not but wasn't there something about Aspire replacing (for free) the first version with the second for those who asked?

I want someone to tell me more about silica wick. I have some but haven't used it yet. Was just about to though...

All I know is it's not that good and it's just easier to use organic cotton.

Silica is like fiberglass and can fray. These frayed bits can get into your lungs and cause damage just like asbestos. (Fiber Glass) At least that is the concern. It was one reason I went to cotton. There is no real proof that it does, but the possibility is true.

Crap just when I thought Vaping was safe :wallbash:

Vaping hasn't been around long enough for studies to conclude it to be "safe." However, it more than likely is safer than smoking cigarettes. With as many new things coming out every day, you need to stay on top of... stuff... so you can take steps to be as "safe" as you can.  :)

Hello vapers........

So, Aspire is releasing a version 2 of their original (and still kinda new) Atlantis, allegedly amdist complaints galore about their silica-containing wicks, and the fact they are mainly nickel-plated, NOT stainless as advertised.

This is all quite disheartening for me and makes me have less faith in Aspire. I love my Atantis, it's introduced me to sub-ohm vaping which I truly enjoy.

However, I found out that not only is the wick NOT %100 cotton (contains silica wick, which is KNOWN to cause lung cancer/meso/etc when inhaled), the unit is not stainless steel much.

So. Hopes are high but cautious for the Atlantis V2.

I'm hoping we get %100 cotton wicks and a truly all stainless steel unit. It WILL be heavily scrutinized by the public after what's basically considered a lie was told to the public about the Atlantis.

Also, the rumor is the V2 all-cotton coils will be usable (the 0.5 ohm version) on the Atlantis V1. Let's hope so.

I invite anyone to chime in on the Atlantits, Atlantis V2, or comments about silica wicking here in this thread.

All the best. Let's live to vape safely.

Please provide us some links.  I have looked all over the internet for this but can not find anyone that has posted about the newest ones that Aspire slipped onto the market a few months ago without telling anyone.  We have disassembled the newest coils from Aspire at work (Nautilus BVC and the Atlantis BVC) they both were 100% organic fibers.  They did not contain any glass/silica whatsoever.

Nearly every factory atomizer made in the last few years contain silica before they went to organic cotton.  They are all in the micron range that is dangerous if broken into shards. Is there anyone who has shown that saturated silica can become airborn?  So every iClear, Protank, etc contain it unless you have rebuilt them, contains silica.  If you want to be 100% safe then you must rebuild your own coils.  Then all you have to worry about the dangers of Kanthal, PG, VG, and flavorings.

We (Vapors) are getting attacked from every side, and from within.  We all want the safest alternative to smoking, but the psuedo science is just as bad within the vaping community as outside.

Edited by jasonculp

If you look closely at an older version of the Nautilus BVC coils they have smaller wicking holes. The newer ones have a bigger hole.

The older ones were first reviewed by pbursado(Taste your juice.com) and others ( I believe riptrippers). They took the coils apart to see what they are made of. The newer Nautilus BVC coils come with a warning card that tells you to let the cotton absorb the liquid for 2 minutes before vaping after a coil change. The fibrous material in the older ones, when dry, disintegrated when rubbed around into a powdery, flaky mess. Once wet, this material didn't seem to react that way.

I believe this material was used in the Atlantis coils as well

Just my two cents, I am not scientist. Mad yes, but not a scientist.    

I wrote a post about the Nautilus coils here...

Edited by GeorgeF

If you look closely at an older version of the Nautilus BVC coils they have smaller wicking holes. The newer ones have a bigger hole.

The older ones were first reviewed by pbursado(Taste your juice.com) and others ( I believe riptrippers). They took the coils apart to see what they are made of. The newer Nautilus BVC coils come with a warning card that tells you to let the cotton absorb the liquid for 2 minutes before vaping after a coil change. The fibrous material in the older ones, when dry, disintegrated when rubbed around into a powdery, flaky mess. Once wet, this material didn't seem to react that way.

I believe this material was used in the Atlantis coils as well

Just my two cents, I am not scientist. Mad yes, but not a scientist.    

I wrote a post about the Nautilus coils here...

I am in total agreement with you.  I am not a scientist either, but I am extremely curious.  The ones we took apart we put into a calibrated oven we use at work to test polymer flashpoints to help determine what they are.  One of our counter guys had been warned about sucking silica from a local guy that hangs out in the vape shop...  So he went and got some new coils.  You could see visibly that the material was cotton, but he thought it might be blended so he stuck it in the oven.  At 450 degrees the cotton was black and smoldering.  We sell silica blankets and tapes for that is used for industrial applications it is good for 1200+ degrees and it will not even discolor at 450.

I shouldn't go off like that, but it upsets me when people on the internet (not you) like to spread fear.  I am glad they inform us that their could be hazardous materials in the coils, juice, wire, ect.  I don't like when they take other studies and try to make them fit our applications.  From what I can find there has been no real studies that replicate real world conditions that we vape under.  If someone thinks something is not safe, don't use it.  If someone thinks vaping is dangerous quit vaping.

I know for a fact that my health is much better, and I feel better than when I smoked.

OK.

I'm not trying to bad-mouth Aspire or prove any point.

I'm not giving 'fuel' to 'anti-ecigs movements' by posting this.

I think peope have a right to information, and that's what I'm sharing.

There are links in this post which can back up what is stated herein.

I am not an alarmist, and I am not suggesting any foul play, other than the Atlantis WAS advertised as ALL STAINLESS STEEL, which it is NOT. However, if that doesn't bother you , that's OK with me.

Let me say CLEARLY that I am PRO-VAPING, Vaping has SAVED my LIFE and COUNTLESS others', and I know for a FACT it is a safer and healthier alternative to cigarettes. My OWN health has improved DRAMATICALLY since I began vaping 1.5 years ago ( I use organic liquid, no colors, even the nicotine is organic. It's a lifestyle I chose long ago, personal choice).

However. That said.

YES SILICA IS DANGEROUS, IN MY OPINION, AND I USE 100% ORGANC COTTON.

Nice to hear a rumor about the V2 being given to V1 customers, but, I assume that would be people with accounts w/ Aspire only ?

To answer ths post about inspecting the Atlantis coils, you can see the mircoscope inspecition of it here, compared with organic cotton. Here's the pic for you to see here:

bW5AaCu.png

So in my frustration with Aspire (I also had problems with the Nautilus), I got a Kanger Subzero tank (not a 'plus' which I found out about later).

Works real nice, the pre-made coils don't work very well at all, but the RDA part, of course, works WONDERFULLY and has introduced me to RDA style atomizers. Yay !

SO ANYWAY

Here's a VERY good write-up about SILICA WICKS which you ALL should READ, and, I really should make it's own thread here on the forum.

However, while I have you all here, I'm going to share this excerpt from Reddit which I found recently that was posted 2 months ago.

This and the opnion of my Vape Mentor led me to quit Silica Wick forever.

Here's the story:

(this article was orginally posted by [–]Plushp on Reddit.Com .)

I brought this up a while back, Ceramic Fibre isn't an industry term any more, which Is why I found Aspire naming it Ceramic Fibre strange.

Ceramic Fibre is also known as High Temperature Insulation Wool or Refractory Ceramic Fibre.

It's classed as a category 2 carcinogen (In the EU) when the fibres are less than 6mm in size, as the effectively act as little needles within the lungs that can cause tumours.

Refractory ceramic fibre (RCF) as used for insulation, particularly in kilns and furnaces, is a form of man-made vitreous (silicate) fibre (MMVF) and consists of alumino-silicate fibres which can cause irritation of the skin, eyes and upper respiratory tract, many being fine enough to be inhaled and deposited in the lungs.

If you don't understand what "ceramic fibre" is, it's very closely related to roof insulation.

The main concerns are in relation to potentially serious long-term health effects; experiments in animals have shown that RCFs can produce lung fibrosis, lung cancer, and also mesothelioma (a rare tumour of the lining of the chest cavity usually only associated with exposure to asbestos) following long-term inhalation.

Following several years of discussions in expert working groups involving industry and trade union representatives, a European Directive has now been agreed which will result in RCFs with fibres less than 6mm length weighted geometric mean diameter being classified as category 2 carcinogens (substances to be regarded as if they are carcinogenic to humans) towards the end of 1998. Most RCF products currently marketed in the UK will fall into this category. (They will additionally be classified as 'irritating to the skin').

I posted a bunch of links to the European Ceramic Fibre Association, various UK H&S laws, and some research papers a while ago, but there was little interest as people generally don't want to sit and read research papers.

The jist of it is, it's highly dangerous, IF inhaled at CERTAIN quantities.

Problem is, we don't know how the material acts when we are sucking on it all day.

When asking Aspire, they replied as such:

So they won't tell us what exactly it is, which troubles me, especially after they lied about Stainless Steel.

Aspire uses a ceramic fiber which is placed around the heating coil during its construction, which has undergone and passed rigorous SGS certification, and is both nontoxic and heat resistant. This ceramic material is, of course, exclusively researched and developed by the Aspire Company, and is only accessible by our manufacturing company, Shenzhen Eigate Technology Co., Ltd.

Ceramic fibre has decades of research on it (And a vast amount of information on problems which are all specific to inhalation), this is apparently "new", I highly, highly doubt Aspire has invented a new ceramic fibre and would imagine they are just buying fibre insulation. (SGS certification is totally meaningless in this regard, SGS tested for heavy metals and such, it has NOTHING to do with inhalation or using the material to vape with, absolutely nothing).

I don't want to rain on anyones parade, research and read up yourself and vape what you are happy to vape, I have nothing personally against Aspire, but ceramic fibre is something is known to have specific dangerous inhalation issues, however we smoked a whole bunch of toxins for years, so again, read up and if you are happy, continue on.

Reading stuff:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/foi/internalops/ocs/200-299/267_3v2.htm

http://www.ecfia.eu/

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/2006-123/

http://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/ntp/roc/content/profiles/ceramicfibers.pdf

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1128261/

So.

Sounds pretty convincing to me, and I've personally as of 2 das ago sworn off my iClear 30S, and all Silica Wick atomizers.

Hope this helps you make an informed decision.

I believe vaping is AWESOME and I vape pretty much all day daily. However it is NOT necessarily "Good For You" or "Healthy" completely, and I understand that, and I also understand that in comparison to analog cigarettes, they are pale in comparison as to the damage they can do to my body.

Please comment and share what you have about all this.......

atlantis.jpg

Edited by DJ Colonel Corn

I will agree with you that silica is nasty stuff.  I have read many articles about it, and gone to many safety classes as we make products out of it.

Like I said no one has tested it in Vaping environment to prove if the fibers can even become airborn. Can you imagine the feeling in your tounge if you get  what is basically fiberglass in your tongue?  I guess I could test it at work, but it would be a moot point because the Nautilus coils have been 100% cotton since January (At least that is when I got my first batch from an online retailer)

Now please don't think I am an Aspire fan boy.  I am not.  I am also using a SubTank.  I do think the fact they marketed a tank as one material and made it out of another is reprehensible.  I don't think it is dangerous, but dishonest.

I also agree with your stand on juice.  I think we should be far more concerned with this.  It is what is getting into our body.  I buy all of my juice from one place now and I think he has more concern and safety for his customers than anyone (Thanks Comp!)

I have seen at least 2 people drop vaping as a hobby over this issue and the bad California study.  It is very sad to me, because they are still smoking.

Just something totally anecdotal:

We have 2 original owners in our company who have made products out of asbestos until they banned certain uses in the '80s and they replaced some of those products with silica fiber (fire insulation/fire seals) they are now in their late 70s and perfectly healthy.

I buried a good friend last year from COPD related lung problems that was 100% caused by cotton fibers/dust from the process of ginning cotton he was in his 50's.

I am sorry I came off as a jerk (I can be, ask my wife).  I am not defending the use of dangerous products.  I don't  want them in me.  I am just very sensitive to the subject.  I have worked in many industries that have had the general public totally vilify when they are not informed.  I know it isn't the case with vaping, but most industries are so regulated that it would amaze people.  I just finished a project at our company that required us to prove that all of the minerals that are contained in our products have not originated from "blood mineral" countries. We don't manufacture the raw materials, but we have to trace it all the way to the source of the minerals that go into the manufacturing of the raw materials.

If nothing else, I give them kudos for coming clean and releasing a better version. I'm not sure if I'm remembering this correctly or not but wasn't there something about Aspire replacing (for free) the first version with the second for those who asked?

If you find out anything about the exchange let u can't us know cause I got v1

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines