Vertical vs horizontal

vaping_jake

So what is your preference on coils do like rda's with vertical builds or horizontal.  Any reason why? flavorcloudsease of build

For myself; all my builds have been vertical only, i did order an RDA with horizontal build so i will try it then

Personally I have only built horizontal coils, but tried one vertical coil in my kayfun v4. I wasn't impressed, probably because I didn't have the patience to fiddle with it to get it set up properly. Now as far as pre-built factory coils without having to build my own,nothing beats the Nautilus vertical coils, IMHO.

I do both. The biggest flavor I have ever got was using a dual twisted vertical .25 ohm coil in a Tobh.  The only problem was the wicking.  It was a bit slow unless I dripped directly on the wick.  I bought the 454 big block to make use of the vertical coil, the only problem is the horizontal seem to taste better in it.  I have been tempted to try one in my SubTank Mini.  I have read about people doing them, but no one seems to have perfected it.

I guess after this long ramble...  I guess it just depends on what mood hits me.  I do think the horizontal with both ends of the wick in the juice wicks better, of course this is only my opinion.

I haven't built a vertical coil in a really long time.I personally don't see much difference in flavor between vertical & horizontal.But the vertical coil acts like a smoke stack and seems to produce a little more vapor IMO

I do both. The biggest flavor I have ever got was using a dual twisted vertical .25 ohm coil in a Tobh.  The only problem was the wicking.  It was a bit slow unless I dripped directly on the wick.  I bought the 454 big block to make use of the vertical coil, the only problem is the horizontal seem to taste better in it.  I have been tempted to try one in my SubTank Mini.  I have read about people doing them, but no one seems to have perfected it.

I guess after this long ramble...  I guess it just depends on what mood hits me.  I do think the horizontal with both ends of the wick in the juice wicks better, of course this is only my opinion.

From what i can tell about wics is that you build has the cotton wrapped from top to bottom like a horse shoe and in one piece going thru both coils.  so when you drip it goes directly to the cotton.  then  i assume gravity feeds down

I honestly can't tell any difference in performance between the two. For me, it really just comes down to what fits best in whichever RDA I'm building in.

At the moment:

Veritas - dual vertical

Infinite CLT V1 - dual horizontal

Igo-W - dual horizontal

IGO-L - single horizontal

Smok Dripper - single vertical

Edited by Rixter

Rixter, do you build them all equally in resistance value? or coil size depends on spacing? what makes you pick dual coil for one vs single coil for another.

I currently use five different RBAs, and they range in resistance from .4Ω to .9Ω. The lower resistance setups are a little too intense for regular use, but I do enjoy the occasional fog bank & flavor they produce. For my all day setup, however, I prefer something just under 1Ω, and I like it to be a single coil because I don't have to hit it with as much power as I would on a multiple-coil setup, which gives me more vape time between charges.

Lately, the setup I vape at work all day is a Smok Dripper RDA (.9Ω single vertical coil and Japanese organic cotton wick) on a Smok Xpro M50 (65 watt model) set to 17 watts.

As far as why I choose single over dual coils, it really depends on the number of air intakes on each RDA's top cap.

I love it and it's been really reliable. I really like the fact that it's got a USB charge port that charges the battery (Sony VTC4) super fast with a 5V-2A wall charger. I'd recommend one to anyone looking for a small but powerful box mod.

Edited by Rixter

not at all gag8tor, any conversation that evolves is just a great conversation.

i actually think we may need a section on coils only.  so many different types and builds to discuss.  also would be a great place to answer safety questions on x sub ohms, surface area blah blah

not at all gag8tor, any conversation that evolves is just a great conversation.

i actually think we may need a section on coils only.  so many different types and builds to discuss.  also would be a great place to answer safety questions on x sub ohms, surface area blah blah

If you or anyone else want to start a dedicated separate thread discussing coils of any sort, if we have at least 20 dedicated "coil" threads, Chris said he'll add a special section for it.  :)

Yeah. I have a MVP 20 watt and want a 30W but this thing looks and feels really slick. Plenty of power for what I want to do. I like the built in charging. I don't want to buy a charger if I can avoid it.

If you get another istick get the 50W. I have the 30W and wish I would have got the 50 because it will stay charged all day for me, the 30 dosnt.