Somebody blew themselves up today...

Mirage

I have 3 better pictures that I was going to post lastnight but the new mobile site seemed to be running very slow. Now this morning I'm seeing the old version again and cant uploade photos again.

When Christopher gets everything straight with the update I will post them...Or if anybody would like, PM me your cell number and I'll text them to you and you can post them here for me...

One pic shows the cut on his hand but it's "NOT" bloody, the next one shows the piece of the mod w/tank stuck in the ceiling and the last one shows all the pieces and battery sitting on a table...

AW 18650 Battery (old version) - low amp rating, NOT DESIGNED FOR coils BELOW 1OHM LIKE IN THE Atlantis. Due to the internal chemistry these batteries will vent gas and not explode if shorted

Moronism.  The only red, old version, AW I know of is the AW IMR18650/1600mAh cell rated at an accurate 24A continuous discharge.  A true, pure IMR and one of the safest batteries made.

https://youtu.be/haMDZOfjqsE?t=1m48s

BTW TrustFire also makes red IMR18650s.

Edited by WillBlack

I guess we need to send @TugBoat to check on his neighbor down there.  I saw this on the Lubbock news said he wanted $1,000,000.00 for medical bills and missed work.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2015/03/11/arlington-man-sets-crotch-on-fire-sues-vape-shop-over-exploding-e-cig-battery/

He apparently put a loose battery in his pocket...and it is the vape shop's fault, and the manufacturer.

I got a piece of screwdriver in my arm trying to use it as a chisel...can I sue snap-on?

Edited by jasonculp

I guess we need to send @TugBoat to check on his neighbor down there.  I saw this on the Lubbock news said he wanted $1,000,000.00 for medical bills and missed work.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2015/03/11/arlington-man-sets-crotch-on-fire-sues-vape-shop-over-exploding-e-cig-battery/

He apparently put a loose battery in his pocket...and it is the vape shop's fault, and the manufacturer.

I got a piece of screwdriver in my arm trying to use it as a chisel...can I sue snap-on?

Top comment says it all... it's NOT an e-cig battery... it is a high-drain INDUSTRIAL cell, the same type/style used in industrial battery packs for laptops, cordless power-tools, flashlights, etc. etc. etc.... it's not the manfacuters fault if he stuck it in his pocket with loose change or his keys, where it could short-out.  Sure, the battery may have been a cheap-o, but improper storage/transport is HIS fault! 

There should be a law banning the existence of lawyers :D  People have the right to be stupid, but they also have the right to be branded as stupid... this guy has his brand/marks to prove it....

I am totally ashamed that this guy is a Texan.  I can't believe this is even going to court.  The news makes very little mention of how it happened.  If you are not familiar with these products you would just think that he was carrying a standard "e-cigarette".

Do you think Autozone is going to pay you if you take the battery out of your car and dump the acid on yourself?

I guess stranger things have happened and their liability insurance will probably pay out for some undisclosed amount, and the black eye will stay on the Vaping community and this Vape Shop.

Edited by jasonculp

You probably nailed it Jason... The vape-shop owner will contact a lawyer, and they'll tell them to settle out of court for $10K and his medical bills because vaping is a "fledgeling" industry and there are no precedents to cover the shop.

And everyone wonders why our insurance costs for home/auto/life keep skyrocketing!!

Sadly, there are precedents of people using a product improperly... stupidity has a price... this guy paid it, and just wants someone to give him a winning lottery ticket... and, since the shop doesn't have the logo for Toyota or Ford or IBM or Pfizer, or DOW or [insert big company name here] on their building, they won't be able to fight it with a team of million-dollar law-firms behind them.  So, yet another stupid person (who isn't so stupid they can't hire a cut-throat ambulance-chaser) will get another lottery win, compliments of our legal system.

I have watched this news report several times and every time that I do I think, "Boy that firefighter that is being interviewed sound very dumb.". This gives the impression that everyone in CA is stupid, not that I believe that to be the case.

Looking at the story the facts are flawed if none present at all, except that a mod blew up.

I sent a message to the news station that reported it about my frustration that they can't report on something without knowing about what they are reporting on.

It really infuriates me that the news does this all the time.

In the message I sent I tried to inform them about youtube and all the great reviewer that have good knowledge. The fact that is was not a e-mod-cigarette, but a personal vaporizer. That you cannot smoke one. There is no combustion happening and everything that we already know and understand about our devices. 

My rant to them was more in the lines of educate yourself before you embarrass yourself.

This was about the guy in Santa Ana, CA right? Regardless of location, the problem was not the battery he was using (although under different circumstances and accurate naming of the popped battery it could be).  The problem here was that he was using a tank on a hybrid style mechanical. I'm sure you've all seen them and that some of you own one yourselves. I do. But the top cap holds no center pin (for those of you who don't know), only a hole that leads to direct contact with the positive side of the battery. When this happened, it was because he he was using a tank. the contact on tanks is often flush with the actual threaded portion that surrounds it. Now, when using a normal regulated device or even a mechanical that HAS a center pin, this is not an issue. The pin will hit just the contact and not the surrounding threads. When you put it into a hybrid device, all parts of that hit the positive on the battery. The contact AND the threads connect and cause a hard short because only the contact is designed to come in contact with a positive. Moral of the story here is when using anything with a hybrid style connection, make sure that your atomizer has a contact that protrudes from the threads and is not flush with the threaded 510. 

Also, whenever a battery vents and causes any kind of damage, the media paints it as a battery that "exploded". We all know that the media is going to take any chance they have to jab at our industry and paint us as adrenaline junkies who like to live fast and edgy. 

Sorry I was late on this one. I haven't been around since wednesday for many reasons. 

• 5 weeks later...