Help! Beginner coil building...

jenng2385

I've recently decided to move up and start building, I actually had help with my dripper build from a freind but decided to try myself..

Bought a genusis style RDA and after a few try's got my first coil!! But not that easy sadly.. :(

At first all was great, and after a while it wouldn't hit?? Just cuts off and It pops?!? Thankfull for circuit protection! Lol

I think I'm getting a short!? But not sure what I did wrong..

I'm paranoid now about trying again.. :(

You are measuring the resistance of your coil and matching it to your battery capability, right?.......

When you say "pop" do you mean the coil itself is actually popping and separating/breaking? What exactly are you using for a battery/mod/APV?

Some juices will "pop" like the grease in a pan of cooking bacon... It generally means your power is too high, or the airflow is too high (causing the coil to over-wick).

I'm assuming you're using the meter on your Vamo to measure the coil(s)? APV meters are generally "close", but not as accurate as a dedicated meter. Although 1.5 Ohms is not considered low, and your Vamo and Sony battery will handle the load just fine.

When it cuts power do you mean immediately? Or after some number of seconds?

Sounds like your resistance is too low or possibly the coil is heating and then swelling to touch the deck or fusing and dropping resistance....

A pic of your finished coil wiuld be awesome....

I had this same issue with my Vamo's. My guess is you are using a flat top battery. I added a button magnet to my flat tops when I use them in the Vamo because of this issue. I have button top batteries that did not do this and that is what clued me in on the Vamo working better with a button top battery. Get some button top batteries or get some small magnets and covert your flat tops to button tops.

You should've seen my first coil...it was awful.You'll get it keep practicing! :-)

I've recently decided to move up and start building, I actually had help with my dripper build from a freind but decided to try myself..

Bought a genusis style RDA and after a few try's got my first coil!! But not that easy sadly.. :(

At first all was great, and after a while it wouldn't hit?? Just cuts off and It pops?!? Thankfull for circuit protection! Lol

I think I'm getting a short!? But not sure what I did wrong..

I'm paranoid now about trying again.. :(

I have button magnets that are the exact size of a button on a battery. If they are to big it could cause issues with splitting the Vamo at the pressed seam or cause a short.

BatButs.jpg

No matter where you get them make sure they are the right size.

SH Neodymium Magnets:
Dimensions: 3/16" dia. x 1/16" thick
Tolerances: ±0.004" x ±0.004"
Material: NdFeB, Grade N42SH
Plating/Coating: Ni-Cu-Ni (Nickel)
Magnetization Direction: Axial (Poles on Flat Ends)
Weight: 0.00748 oz. (0.212 g)
Pull Force, Case 1: 0.75 lbs
Pull Force, Case 2: 1.94 lbs
Surface Field: 3661 Gauss
Max Operating Temp: 302ºF (150ºC)
Brmax: 13,200 Gauss
BHmax: 42 MGOe

http://www.fadoravapor.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=55&products_id=167