Sony VTC5 - Notice From Sony

Rixter

While searching for some new mod batteries, I ran across this little piece of information about Sony 18650 batteries that I thought I'd share with you. This is apparently an email from someone who purchased a VTC5 and wanted to double check the vendor's specs with Sony:

I recently purchased some Sony VTC5 18650 batteries from an online vendor. They listed the battery specs on their website, but I wanted to double check with Sony before I started building my setup. I couldn't find anything on their website, so I emailed them. Here was their reply:

Dear customer, thank you for your inquiry.

The 18650 type batteries are no longer manufactured by Sony.

This product was never intended for individual, public sale and are not eligible for warranty or engineering support.

It was only available to OEM makers of specific devices.

The specifications and markings on the battery may vary depending upon the OEM’s requirements. Therefore, it is difficult to determine the true manufacturer or authenticity of the batteries without physical inspection and manufacturing code research.

This type of battery is widely available on the internet market through non-authorized resellers.

Therefore, Sony is not liable for the performance or use of this type battery for non-intended purposes.

Such applications should be done at the user’s own risk.

Furthermore, any battery of this type claimed to be Sony brand may be older stock.

We apologize that we cannot offer further assistance with this matter.

Sincerely,

Media Services by Sony

The bolding was theirs.

BUT...

...The Plumes of Hazard (episode 31, 1:05), guest "Mike" (at 7:40 of the video below) explains that the above-posted info IS NOT entirely accurate.

Hmmm.

I had been very leery of the VTC5's, and when I was looking for new batteries, I knew either Comp's (diminishing) supply of VTC4's OR Samsung 25r's, IF I could find a decent price on them. Fortunately, the local B&M had a Holiday Sale, and Samsung batteries were on their menu... I cleaned them out of their last five @ $6.59/each :D

Good info to know on the VTC's... and straight from Sony, too!