Getting away from the tobacco cigs.... How Long?

JohnnyFog

For those of you who have made the complete transition from cigarettes to vapor, how long did it take you to get past the occasional cravings for the cigarette?

My first few days of being cigarette free have been OK but TODAY i have suffered from some cravings to smoke. They haven't been severe or anything, but the urge to go buy a pack was knocking at my door for a couple hours today.

From what I've heard from many people who transitioned from smoking to vaping, it's an individual thing. Some take longer than others. Me personally, I vaped and smoked for the first five days and then put down the cigarettes. Others will take longer while other people will take less. When I started it was with 24 mg of nic, that's roughly the equivalent to a pack of full flavor while I'd been smoking lights. The extra nic kept the cravings away. The first few weeks or more your body is going through detox of all kinds of carcinogens. That's just as addicting (if not more), than the nicotine you were getting.

What nic strength are you using? If you're still craving smokes, I'd go up a little on the nic and see if that helps. :)

Also, vaping isn't an all or nothing kind of thing. You can have a cigarette if you absolutely want one. For me, the mindset that I could never have another cigarette would be a big reason for me to fall off the wagon when I tried other smoking cessation products. When I gave myself permission to have one if I really wanted one, and then went back to vaping after... that took away all my stress for the situation and made the transition easier. YMMV :)

What nic strength are you using? If you're still craving smokes, I'd go up a little on the nic and see if that helps. :)

I'm using the 18mg liquids. My overall objective is to work off the nicotine too, but several people have told me to sit on the 18mg stuff for a couple months before I start to work down for the same reasons you posted about 'adjusting' to the lack of all that other stuff.

One thing I AM looking forward to after reading around on this site for a while is making my own juices :) That sounds like fun and since cooking is my secondary job I think I might be able to put together some interesting flavor profiles that I'll like...

I'm using the 18mg liquids. My overall objective is to work off the nicotine too, but several people have told me to sit on the 18mg stuff for a couple months before I start to work down for the same reasons you posted about 'adjusting' to the lack of all that other stuff.

It took me a few weeks of vaping and smoking to quit. I hate to say but I had the cravings for months. It wasn't until I went up to 24mg that the cravings finally stopped. I have made it 6 months and still am at 24mg. I really don't vape as much as I did 3 months ago so I guess I don't take in as much nicotine as I did. I am just taking the wait and see approach. I feel so much better from not smoking that I am not really concerned about the nicotine.

Good luck!

It took 24mg for me. Once I started vaping I was done smoking but I believe my success was due to the extra nic. Couldn't hurt to try it out. I vaped 24 for about 2 months or so then cut back to 18 and hung there for a few months. Then i dropped to 12 and stayed there for a while. Eventually down to 6. I now bounce between 0 3 and 6 and am quite happy there.

You'll figure it out but don't be afraid to jump up to get off the cigs

For me it was about 2.weeks of both before I just decided I was not going to buy any more cigs. I probably wanted one for a couple days but then I just didn't have a craving anymore. It was very easy for me. I was really surprised. That was going on 6 months ago and I have no desire whatsoever for a cig. I do however crave a vape when I am somewhere where I cant. I really enjoy not being tied down to cigs. I see now how they had a hold on me even though I was less than a pack a day for just 7 years.

Congrats on your accomplishment! You will get there with determination!

Deanna

I went from 2+ packs a day to 4 cigs a day for the first 4 days. Then, I just quit the stinkies all together. It's been almost 10 months now and the only time I get a twinge is when I'm around someone who is smokeing. Just a split second, but I do notice it. I just pull out my device and vape with them. I also started on 24 mg for a cpl months at first. I noticed that 18 mg was just as good for me by then so I dropped down. It wouldn't bother me if I needed 24 now, just worked out that way. One thing that can make a difference in what nic level is best for you is the opportunities you have to vape in a normal day. If it's only on short breaks at work and then more in the car/at home, then A higher level for work days may be a good idea. Only you can tell what your body needs. I'm not sure if it's been mentioned to you yet, but drink plenty of water. Vapeing will dehydrate you most likely. Good luck!

I was one of those that transitioned day-one. I smoked my last one before bed on 3/31, and on 4/1, I vaped exclusively... and never looked back. Yes, there have been cravings... YES! But, I didn't give into them and make the drive to the store for a pack of smokes :)

I started with 18mg, and quickly bought some 24mg (based on suggestions from the gang here) for those big cravings, and it helps, it really does. I stayed at 18mg for roughly 6 months (but I vape all day at my desk - no restrictions since I work from home :) ), and recently started moving down to 12mg for my all-day-vape. I also use 3mg in my RDA, and I'll switch to 6mg (or lower) a couple hours before bed-time, which helps me to sleep MUCH better at night. My morning routine is several puffs of 18mg to start my day, then back to 12mg for the rest of the day... and I also still keep 24mg handy for times when I'm unable to vape "regularly"... because a few hits of 24mg stave-off the cravings for hours... at least for me!

As stated above... don't fret over dropping your nicotine levels too soon... Nicotine is NOT the enemy! Nicotine exists in every fruit and vegetable on the planet, and despite the propaganda, it is not the EVIL ingredient in analogs... it's the 4000+ other "chemicals" that create the immediate dangers to your health. Nicotine is a stimulant, like caffeine... nothing more, nothing less....

For me, after 50+ years of cigarettes my transition to vaping went pretty smooth. Course I sucked guite a few tanks dry the first few days, but eventually things calmed down and I settled into what I do now .... 1.5 - 2 EVOD tanks a day. I convinced myself from day one that this IS going to work and trusted my equipment to get me through. The little words of encouragement I got from everyone around me helped, too. Plus I was fortunate enough to have a top-shelf, no BS vape store owner nearby who started me out with the right setup as well.

For those of you who have made the complete transition from cigarettes to vapor, how long did it take you to get past the occasional cravings for the cigarette?

See post (#18).

Edited by Rixter

Not sure. I trusted, and leaned on pretty heavy, my equipment to get me through and tried to ignore any cravings. I kinda figured if I didn't think about it, it wouldn't be an issue.

I managed to get through the cravings yesterday and didn't seem to notice any today so I'm going to stick with the 18mg solutions for a while before looking at 24mg. In the mean time I ordered a couple new toys to play with :)

If it works for you keep it up! Don't feel bad if you need to go up though... Do whatever it takes to get through the next few, minutes, hours, days, weeks, etc. Drink a lot of water to help flush the toxins out of your body!

Keep up the good work!

I think I'm good to go! It's been a week since I smoked a regular cigarette. I didn't have any cravings today at work but I did run into an issue that I wasn't happy with the e-liquid I had in my tank. For what it's worth, I don't care much for Space Jam's "Starship 1" e-liquid. The only e-liquid I have found so far that I'm STOKED with is the Suicide Bunny "Sucker Punch." I'm really looking forward to formulating some of my own e-liquids in the very near future.

• 2 weeks later...

It took me a few months to get completely off analogs.And at first the eliquid would make me feel kind of nauseous when I would vape.I don't have a PG allergy I guess it was my body getting used to a different form of nicotine.I went deer hunting a few weeks ago and I had me a few beers so I decided to get me a black and mild to smoke while drinking...I lit it took literally 3 inhales and felt so crappy.I was pretty much testing my bodys reaction to smoking real tobacco.Never smoking another cigarette again.And I'm very proud to say sosmile_zps1f80dsek.png

• 2 weeks later...

It took a solid few months before I could knock the craving completely. But this amount of time does directly depend on you!

How much you used to smoke, how serious you are about quitting, and the amount of self discipline that you have to no longer give in to the temptations. Anytime an urge tries to sneak its way into your brain, take a few puffs of your Vape and distract your mind with something that will not allow the analog to keep haunting your cravings! Good luck and stay strong!