How many wraps?

Vapor423

So I've recently gotten into rda/rba building and I picked up a kangertech ipow2 today with a smok rba and I'm tryin to set up double coil and I cannot get over 1.0 ohm with double coils. I'm using 32ga wire but I have 28ga also. I'm runnin 15w max I can. Any help would be appreciated.

I just played with the numbers... and if you're using 30ga Kanthal, wrapping each coil 7 times (on a 5/64 drill bit), a parallel-dual-coil resistance would be right at 0.8 Ohms (1.6 Ohms per coil)... so, perhaps you've been using 30ga wire instead of 32ga?

The wire description is D=0 32mm 18ohm/m

D (diameter) = 0.32mm is the same as AWG 28ga, and that is roughly 5.3 Ohm/foot... or nearly 18 Ohm/m

So, you have 28ga wire, not 32ga wire, which is why you're coming in so low. You need more wraps to increase the length of wire, and thus increase the resistance. At 5.3 Ohms/ft, you need to have 7.27" of straight wire to equal 3.2 Ohms of resistance.

To hit 1.6 ohm (dual coil), you need to have each coil @ 3.2 Ohms... and with 5/64 drill bit, using 28ga wire... you need 21 wraps (and at least 5mm leg length).

11 wraps on the same drill bit will have you at 1.6 Ohms (single coil), and putting two of those in parallel on your atty, and you halve the resistance (0.8 Ohms).

Edited by Earthling789

What brand of wire are you using? Is this something you bought at a vape shop?

Yeah I told them I needed 32ga kanthal and I guess they gave me the wrong stuff me being new to this I didn't know but I ordered some stuff this time instead of goin to the vape shop I ordered 100ft of 28ga and 32ga

Well I'm sure no one cares but I'm pretty stoked lol my order of actual 32ga kanthal a1 came in and i did the calculations on steam-engine I used a 3/32 drill bit wrapped 7 times and come out to 1.4ohm total on dual coils. I also built a 32ga twisted single coil using a 3/32 drill bit 5 wraps comin to 1.7ohm. I get more vapor and taste from the twisted single coil. I'm using a kangertech iPow 2 on 15w. Now I just need to work on cleaner wraps and get a bigger variable wattage box and I'll be happy. Thanks guys

Edited by Vapor423

Twisted single coils are my favorite!

Well I'm sure no one cares but I'm pretty stoked lol my order of actual 32ga kanthal a1 came in and i did the calculations on steam-engine I used a 3/32 drill bit wrapped 7 times and come out to 1.4ohm total on dual coils. I also built a 32ga twisted single coil using a 3/32 drill bit 5 wraps comin to 1.7ohm. I get more vapor and taste from the twisted single coil. I'm using a kangertech iPow 2 on 15w. Now I just need to work on cleaner wraps and get a bigger variable wattage box and I'll be happy. Thanks guys