Under Attack Again?

Bebop

Interesting.....

I saw a news promo blurb. "Tonight. An alarming spike in child poisonings". They never mentioned e-cigarettes - but the video clearly showed ejuice bottles and kids handling them. Funny thing was, the bottles were from a manufacturer I didn't recognize and have never seen in my years of ejuice shopping but the bottles had very cartoony colorful pictures of fruit. The pictures were obviously designed to generate alarm over their "appeal" to children. Pretty gross attempt to stir controversy and I'm not surprised coming from mainstream media.

I decided to do my own look. The only thing I could find was the old report from the CDC from over 6 months ago. In that report they claim poisoning spikes from nicotine related calls jumped from 1 per month to 250 per month over a 4 year period starting in 2010.

The report which took data from poison centers across 50 states shows 2400 cases in 4 years, with 41% of those involving children, a little over 1000. There is no mention of any deaths or serious injury. There is the usual mention of vomiting, nausea and eye irritation. (Contrast this with an unrelated report from 2011 that shows 67,000 children treated for exposure to medicines from the family medicine cabinet in one year alone. This is long after child proof caps were introduced).

Somebody is stirring the pot. I'm curious if anyone is seeing this kind of story popping up in your local areas. This is just more smear campaign apparently. This is not a new story. But somebody dug it up.

Please understand I am not advocating anything less than safety with regard to e liquid handling.

Edited by Bebop12

Grimmgreen did a video on this a couple months ago when the FDA did their purposed regulations. The increase was do to people calling in asking questions more than it was children actually getting into the e-liquid. I don't think the cartoonish labels have any place in this industry. It is the main reason I do my labels the way I do. Sure the color labels look cool and all, but to me it is more about what is in the bottle not what is on the label. I think any company that labels with cartoonish images should be boycotted until they get the hint that it is not acceptable. This is one case where a few bad apples can spoil it for all.

I gotta agree, they're stirring the pot, and using anything they can to make people think there is something "threatening the children" when it comes to vaping. Cartoonish labels have no place in the industry... they don't put puppies, clowns, or rainbows-and-unicorns on cigarette packs, right?

I also agree on the stats collected, being highly subjective. If you call the poison control center and ask why you shouldn't be storing bleach next to ammonia, and admit to having children EVER in your home, the call gets logged as a "household-cleaner poisoning of children". It's disgusting how people, the media, and nearly all alphabet-agencies will twist and massage data to make it support anything they want.... How many of those nicotine-related calls were generated by people whose children popped a piece of their Nicorette? Got a Nicoderm patch stuck to their leg? Or had their dog chew on a discarded cigarette butt? [Yet, I'm sure ALL of them were blamed, by the media, on e-liquid, since that is the newest demon they are out to slay... because their handlers in government and big-tobacco tell them it is]

Local news has been going on about kids eating laundry detergent pods lately. A grandmother accidentally gave a gel pod to her granddaughter thinking it was a teething toy. Oops. The little one was okay, just not feeling well for a bit. :(

.. How many of those nicotine-related calls were generated by people whose children popped a piece of their Nicorette? Got a Nicoderm patch stuck to their leg? Or had their dog chew on a discarded cigarette butt? [Yet, I'm sure ALL of them were blamed, by the media, on e-liquid, since that is the newest demon they are out to slay... because their handlers in government and big-tobacco tell them it is]

.....exactly.. I forgot to mention that those statistics I noted 16,000 regular tobacco "poisonings" as well - eating ciggy butts and what not. It also includes "exposure" calls for ecigs...any of three methods - ingestion, inhalation and absorption. Of course they don't tell what percentage of what. Not alarming enough, I guess.

This is how they get people to vote in these legislations...scare the bajeesus out of 'em.

Local news has been going on about kids eating laundry detergent pods lately. A grandmother accidentally gave a gel pod to her granddaughter thinking it was a teething toy. Oops. The little one was okay, just not feeling well for a bit. :(

Guess it's a waste of time to expect warning labels for out-of-touch grannies.

Guess it's a waste of time to expect warning labels for out-of-touch grannies.

Warning labels were on the box. Grannie just didn't read it first. You'd think the packaging, in this case was pretty clear, would've tipped her off but...

What the vaping community needs to do is get some positive stories out there; instead of all these negative ones........ Let's hear more about how vaping is helping people quit smoking, losing weight, stop over eating, craving crusher....... Let's hear from real people who vape....

Let's stop calling it ecigs and start calling it vaporizers..... Ecigs is negative vaporizers is positive..... We know there is a lot of negative stories about vaping, let's hear some positive ones about it.... Let's get someone to talk to the vapors and find out how it's helping them and let's put those stories on here........

It is up to the parents to TEACH their kids about what is dangerous in the house......to explain to them why it is dangerous and they should not be touching it or anything of the like....... if they are going to leave dangerous items laying around their house then teach their kids.........

Well said...

My kids grew up around power tools, farm implements, machinery, and firearms... they knew what to touch, and how to handle them when necessary. To this day, I can leave a loaded shotgun (not that I would) on the kitchen table, and not even my 4-yr-old would be curious as to what it was or try to play with it... They know what it is, and that it is potentially dangerous! It annoys me to no end how some people insight curiosity by trying to HIDE things from their children. Kids are smarter than many give them credit for... and simply telling them "no, you shouldn't touch that, it's bad for you" will be enough to make kids no longer curious... and they'll go back to playing with their cars or barbies....

Wasn't referring to a label on the box. Some Grannies (and some other people I've encountered lately) need a great big warning label pasted on them.

LOL right on Grannies know better , how many poisonous products are in the average american home? 100s , This is so clearly big tobacco panicking about the loss of thier industry