Stacking 18350's

robv1978

A friend of mine is interested in rebuildables and clouds so I haf him stop by to show him some starter builds and explain safety and ohm, watts, amps etc. .. He then shared this experience with me...

He went to a local shop looking for information. He has a Kamry K 100 and purchased a better mech. He said in conversation that he needs a couple more 18650 batteries and the clerk told him it was OK to stack 2x 18350 batts and didn't talk at all about battery safety.

Questions... Has anyone stacked 18350's in a sub ohm build? Am I the only one who wants to go off on this clerk? Why would any respectable store owner NOT discuss battery safety, ohms and amp limits to someone inquiring about rebuilding?

Sounds like the clerk was trying to unload some overstock of 18350's? Or, quite possibly just someone hired to run the cash-register and has no clue about battery safety, Ohm's Law, etc.?

I think I would be tempted to offer to educate the clerk (and let the owner/manager know of the issue)... before he talks someone into stacking mis-matched batteries and hurts someone?

As for stacking... I would, ONLY if the load were less than 1A (like some of my cheaper flashlights), but NEVER, NEVER would I stack for a sub-ohm build... the slightest difference in discharge rates between batteries could be catastrophic!

I have read quite a bit about this on some other boards, I really don't remember where. The ones I was reading about was talking about running batteries in marked pairs and rotating the position in the mod frequently, also discarding them after they reach a certain percentage of difference in voltage between the two batteries...and on and on....

I don't really understand it. I would lots rather run a box mod with electronics than to go through all of that trouble. It sounds very inconvenient.

I've read about "matching pairs", rotating, etc. as well... but for all that trouble to keep them mated, charge equally, rotate position, monitor charge/discharge rates, etc. etc.... why bother? ONE 18650 and you're all set! Charge, use, repeat!

I have to agree stacking batteries in a MOD can only spell trouble. With 1 18650 or 1 26650 there is really no point in stacking. I agree with the OP in so much as this guy not teaching the issues with staking, and all the danger it can bring, was irresponsible. If this guy was working for me I would have chewed him out. I personally would not stack them matched or not, it is just not worth it.

It is a shame. I know that quality employees can be hard to find. I have been amazed at the employees that work at one of my local B&M's. I have had 2 in the last couple of months that have totally explained the "proper" way to use a VV/VW box, and their explanations were incorrect. Both were using mods, but had a total misunderstanding how ohms law works. Of course I don't go to them for proper use and build advice, but many do. I have mentioned this to the manager (who is very knowledgeable) but she said it just will not sink in.

• 2 weeks later...

stacking is fine for a variable voltage device designed for it like the vamo V5...you won't be firing sub ohm with one of those... mine will only fire 1.2ohm and higher. the later versions of the v5 will only fire 1.3ohm and higher...

but in a mech mod: no way jose! stick with 18650s or single 18350s...

Edited by Mr Smith

• 3 months later...