Why 60 amp batteries are pointless.

I had someone several months ago try to sell me some 60 amp batteries, well, his reasoning was "it hits harder and you can build super low ohms." The reason this is a ridiculous statement is, it is a 60 amp PULSE, meaning you can only pass 60 amps through it for a short amount of time, it is actually a 30 amp continuous discharge. As for the battery "hitting harder," that is ridiculous. If you're running a 0.2ohm coil that means you are pulling 18.5 amps from the battery, no matter what kind of battery it is as long as we are talking about your typical 3.7v battery.Unless you change voltage or resistance, you will always be pulling whatever your resistance allows. So, my conclusion is, the most logical batteries to buy are 30 - 35amp batteries. You would have to go as low as 0.1ohms (pulling 37amps) to even need a 60amp pulse to make it SAFER.

If I am completely wrong, someone please explain the math behind this guys statement.

Please note that I do own some 60amp batteries, as well as some 30s and 35s. Never noticed any kind of hit difference....because 18.5 amps is 18.5 amps. at 0.2ohms you are pulling 18.5 from the battery, no matter what.

Math is math... but for some people math is pizza :)

You are correct. Amp draw (based on Voltage and Resistance) does not change just because the battery is capable a higher discharge rate. It's called Ohm's LAW for a reason ;)

Many people have a misconception that Amps are PUSHED... this is very wrong, but it sells batteries!

Amps are DRAWN, based on the load! Which is why you can SAFELY jump-start a lawn-mower or motorcycle with a car, even if it is running (alternator generating 40-100A). The mower or bike will only draw the Amps it needs to start... no more, no less!

I've tried to explain Ohm's Law to several people before, but there are some that have read somewhere on the Internet, or been told by their cousin's sister-in-law's half-brother that "60-amps hits harder", so it is now "Gospel Truth". These are usually the same people that will tell you that their Nickel plated .357 will "shoot clean-through an engine block" simply based on the premise that it's shiny... or that paying an extra $250 for a yellow-top, ultra-mega, 2000-cca battery for their 4-cyl pick-up was the best purchase EVER, because it makes it run "more better".... :D

The general rule we were taught in school (back before fire was invented), is to use a battery capable of at least double your expected load (for safety margin and lower heat) as a minimum. Is there anything wrong with using a 60A battery when you'll never peak above 8.4A (based on 0.5 Ohm coil @ 4.2V peak)? Nope! Nothing wrong with it at all... But, it doesn't make it any better than a 30A battery.

.. it is actually a 30 amp continuous discharge. As for the battery "hitting harder," that is ridiculous. If you're running a 0.2ohm coil that means you are pulling 18.5 amps from the battery, no matter what kind of battery it is as long as we are talking about your typical 3.7v battery.Unless you change voltage or resistance, you will always be pulling whatever your resistance allows. So, my conclusion is, the most logical batteries to buy are 30 - 35amp batteries. You would have to go as low as 0.1ohms (pulling 37amps) to even need a 60amp pulse to make it SAFER.

Please note that I do own some 60amp batteries, as well as some 30s and 35s. Never noticed any kind of hit difference....because 18.5 amps is 18.5 amps. at 0.2ohms you are pulling 18.5 from the battery, no matter what.

And what 30 and 35A batteries are those?

Here is the latest revised datasheet for the VTC5.

http://www.intaste.de/community/dtf/technical_information.pdf

You'll note there is no mention anywhere of 30A, nor is there any 'continuous' rating whatsoever. Seems there was was some trouble in paradise with heat and Sony has dropped the 30A trace they used to show.

The LGHE's (including the Efest re-wrap) are often called 35A batteries, yet their datasheet clearly labels them as 20A Continued discharge Current.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By-7aw3qPc-oa09ENnNFMUtxTFU/preview?pli=1

I have been doing loaded volts tests for years and never once have I seen any type of measurable 'pulse' effect.

Well, all I know is that I was told to use 1560387846012 amps for the bestest, safestest battery. That's all I use in my mods. *ducks and covers* :evil:

I was told to use 1560387846012.879 so I think someone is lying to us :D

:laughing: I was just pointing out the math, it's totally fine to draw 18.5 amps with a 20+ amp battery, but to say a 60 amp battery does anything is ridiculous. Unless you are somehow pulling 60 amps (0.061 ohms.)

I would hate to see anyone pay $20 for a battery that literally does nothing to enhance your vape.

:laughing: I was just pointing out the math, it's totally fine to draw 18.5 amps with a 20+ amp battery, but to say a 60 amp battery does anything is ridiculous. Unless you are somehow pulling 60 amps (0.061 ohms.)

I would hate to see anyone pay $20 for a battery that literally does nothing to enhance your vape.

Well, technically it does enhance your vape ... a battery IS required to make your MOD do more than look pretty! :devil:

Sorry, couldn't resist, hahaha...

Edited by Earthling789

I'm referring to mnke batteries specifically.

MNKE has always been a 3rd rate AW wannabe. Nothing has changed. They claim some silly pulse rating for their MNKE 18650 1500mAh and are then pronounced the new 'gotta have' for sub ohm vaping.

The venerable AW IMR18650/1600mAh has and still is one of the most power batteries made. With a 15C (24A) max continuous rating they have proven themselves well.

This chart is a bit hard to read.

18650_shootout_10amp_1024x509.jpg

But if you look hard we see that outta the gate the AW still leads all the batteries tested, vs. the MNKE it maintains a higher the voltage the whole time while being just shy of it's 1600mAh rating, the substandard MNKE only manages an anemic ~1230mAh.

IMREN batteries? More unsubstantiated claims.

Shenzhen IMREN Technology Co., Ltd. is a love commitment to electronic cigarette research, production, sales and service as one of professional electronic cigarette manufacturer, the company officially put into operation in 2012, the main products are disposable electronic cigarette, rechargeable electronic cigarette, as well as electronic cigarette accessories, such as: electronic cigarette battery component, atomizer, smoke oil, USB charging cable, car charger, adapter and other products.

So some 2 year company whose claim to fame are disposable electronic cigarettes are now making 60A? batteries? :)

Maybe they make these too.

ultrafire-18650-4200mah-3-7v-li-ion-rech

Edited by WillBlack