Quitting Cigarettes for the nth time!

kweni16

Hey everyone! Name is Kweni and I'm renewing my passion for vaping. I have vaped before and stopped because I gave in yet again to smoking analogs.

If anyone has successfully given up puffing analogs give me tips. You might want to read my blog entry Trying to Quit Smoking...Again! and maybe leave me some advise? That will be very much appreciated.

I mean yeah I have been successful at quitting for a short while but I always end up going back. I can't figure out how to stop that and it frustrates me!

it's all about finding a liquid you really like (for me no tobacco flavors) and a good rig to get your style of vape. I was stuck on a rig the other day and couldn't get to my e cigg so i decided to try an analog after 2 years. it was horrible and made me sick so i can tell you that for me it's an easy choice. the analogs are just horrid now.

I'm just the opposite. I love the tobacco taste and it's the only thing I Vape. I was a menthol smoker for over a decade and I just went the other way. I love the taste of tobacco, although I have come to truly dislike the smell of cigarettes. Weird, I know.

What I was told two and half years ago is that if you begin to vape, you have to just choose to never go back. It's very hard to quit while doing both vaping and the occasional cigarettes. From my research, I found that cigarette companies add additional addictive chemicals which cause one to become addicted to their brand. Not only that, but the added chemicals in cigarettes not only boost the nicotine delivery, but they have very powerful anti-depressive properties. So, the addiction to cigarettes is not so much the nicotine as the other stuff. You are fighting a bear, one of which -- nicotine -- is the lesser demon.

What helped me is to remember the markers.. the two month mark, the four month, the 9 month, the 12 month, etc.. They say that when you give up nicotine, it is during these stages where you get "attacked" by an overwhelming desire to smoke analogs again. I would argue that it's not the nicotine at fault here at all, but those other qualities which make cigarettes so deadly and so helpful all at the same time (anti-depressive, anti-anxiety, quick mental acuity, etc... ). We do tend to self-medicate, after all. Upon further consideration, perhaps that is the reason certain versions of anti-depressants are said to aid in quitting smoking. No kidding. It's almost too easy to put two and two together, but nicotine, somehow, takes the bad rap and no one wants to discuss those other factors which even a blind person can see.

I suffered through those months the hard way. In retrospect, perhaps I would have taken some natural herbal supplements during those trying times which help to calm ones nerves.

Good luck! And let us know how you are doing.

Edited by Breal

I got a vape by accident without any intentions to quit smoking. Ended up liking it and quit that day. Haven't had an analog since.

I'm just over the 3 month mark and still have cravings but they are becoming more and more rare.

:thumbup:

Just gotta hang in there!

Edited by mvince201

For my juices, I'm actually into menthol and other "food" flavors. Some tobacco but not really a daily vape flavor for me. I understand I have to have those markers you guys are talking about.

But sometimes the brain has its way to just ruin your winning streak. It tells you "Hmm, how about trying one stick just to see how it tastes like after quitting for this long?" Then it's over.

I'm sure you guys get those times when you actually feel the need or want to light up another analog. But how exactly do you stop it? Or am I just in denial that there's no actual trick to it and all I have to do is strengthen up my willpower?

I talk too much and I'm sorry. I just really really wanna stop smoking and I still have more than 10 sticks here that I don't want to throw away for some reason.

When I got the cravings "bad" during the first few weeks, I'd just grab my 24mg juice and vape hard on it until the craving went away! I also refused to buy any more analogs, and when I was around smokers, I'd use my 24mg juice and remind myself of how bad the analogs smelled!

I was a menthol smoker, too. During the times when the cravings were really really bad, someone suggested I take a few hits of a 36 mg nicotine strong menthol flavor. I don't recommend this as a normal vape as it's way too much nicotine and can be very dangerous. But, a few hits of that seemed to really help. Other than that, you really have to just grin and bear it because one hit of an analog puts you back to square one. It's not about the taste. It's about the extraneous chemical addictions (not the nicotine). Your brain has to rewire itself, and that, unfortunately, can be a difficult process. But, it can be done! Over time, the cravings are less and less. Two and a half years later, I never think about analogs now. Other than those markers, it does get easier.. and the markers become less and less intense. Just remember that it's a physical addiction, it's not You. You are not weak. You are just going through withdrawal, that's all. Again, it is Not You. My advice to you is to just do it and never look back. And if you do look back, just force yourself to look away. You can do this.

Edited by Breal

I am suffering with the same struggles. I started vaping in Feb I have actually purchased 3 packs of smokes during that time. It is a mental addiction for me. When I'm around someone who smokes my "brand" I have the need to smoke one. It always tastes terrible and I tend to throw it down after a few puffs, but I just can't say NO! Hang in there as I will, eventually I believe I will kick this nasty habit.

Best of Luck

For me, it was about motivation. I had reasons to quit and I reminded myself of why I was quitting. I kept my purpose to quit in the forefront. I was ready to quit and I was motivated. Then I just reminded myself why I was doing this without all the pressure or anxiety. I didn't make it all "do or die" and I was willing to have a cig if I needed it. Turned out, I didn't need it.

Write down all the reasons you love smoking. Enjoy how vaping takes care of those reasons and embrace it. Ride out the physical addiction.

I have tried vaping with a higher nicotine content but for some reason, I cough franticaly when I do. I could only handle at 6mg of nicotine in juices at most and you can see that in the label of juice from the photo on my blog entry. I know the analogs contained more nicotine but for some reason when it comes to vaping, I can only handle 6mg.

It seems that I HAD to hear that "It's not you it's the addiction" booster because that actually made me feel better about myself :) The writing down part, well it is really a great idea as I love to write myself I would totally do that.

But really, thank you so much guys. I can't believe I would be getting the support I need from people I don't actually "know". You all beat the people who surrounds me physically. It may sound corny but I'm touched. Thank you so much. It's been hours since I last picked up an analog so I at least got that going for me I guess.

Try different positions of your vape pen to cut down on the hit feeling. I have to hold mine in the side of my mouth and allow the vape to cross my tongue before inhaling to cut out the choking throat hit. If you aren't getting enough nicotine you will crave an analog or at least I d0. Now I mix half 12mg half 18mg in order for my body to get the correct amount. 12mg was just not enough and I puffed constantaly while the 18mg gave me a headache and headrush. The mix seems perfect for me. Don't be afraid to mix and try out combinations until you find what works best.

Most juices sold here are in a 50/50 PG/VG mixture. Maybe I'll try getting a higher mg nic juice then just cut it by adding more VG. I'll see if that works. Thanks for the tips guys! I really appreciate it :)

good luck sweetie. i was one of the lucky ones, i guess. i started vaping and never smoked again afterward. of course, i was not a voracious smoker, but still.....

i think one of the keys to really being able to quit is to flush your system of the poisons put there by the stinkies. drinking tons of water does this. also, the right equipment. i started with the cig-a-likes and they just didn't satisfy me. but when i found a decent ego battery and a tank that delivers a good "hit", i was all set.

you can do it! i have faith in you. if you can go a month without an analog, i think you will find that you can't even stand to be around the smoke. and i guarantee you that when you smoke, you reek.....your hair, your clothes, your house. i can instantly tell if someone walks into a room if they've been smoking. they stink!

If you have to have a smoke a couple times a day while you figure out your preferred vaping PG/VG ratio and nic content, preferred wattage, atomizer, etc, don't sweat it. It sounds like you're struggling with willpower and we know how well that method works. If you make this an either or type of deal, you might never get yourself off of the stinkies for good. Good luck. :)

I smoked for around 23 years, I've quit a gang of times even up to a year but always fall back! I've been vaping for almost 3 months now, I've had a CIG here & there but its not the same anymore. 18 mg is working for me, I think the key is to find a good flavor you love & a good mod. Right now I'm hooked on a piña colada from villan vapors local here in so cal. Good luck!

I am glad to hear so many of you had to work at quitting cause it makes me feel better that i am not the only one. My hats off to you for being able to quit before. Everyone backtracks when you do it, don't sweat it, just try not to do it again. Take one hour at a time. I am new to vaping myself and trying to quit. I still am having 10 analogs a day until I can get the right strength of juice and then I am going to stop cold turkey. I think its a great idea to keep a journal and write down everything so you know when you have the craving the worst and maybe you can avoid that. Everyones suggestions are great and I am going to try all. Good luck in your quest to quit. Hopefully both of us with be done with the analogs soon!!

Hmm I might be re-setting my sig banner from time to time. I had 1 analog today... I'm sorry guys... But it's from the pack I bought like a week ago and still has 8 in it... I just can't believe it lasted this long knowing that I could actually finish the whole thing in less than a day! But still failed... :(

I'll keep you guys posted of my progress coz I just can't wait to be a complete quitter :)

Hmm I might be re-setting my sig banner from time to time. I had 1 analog today... I'm sorry guys... But it's from the pack I bought like a week ago and still has 8 in it... I just can't believe it lasted this long knowing that I could actually finish the whole thing in less than a day! But still failed... :(

I'll keep you guys posted of my progress coz I just can't wait to be a complete quitter :)

Hey don't beat yourself up over it. I mean I still have a smoke every once in a blue moon. I look at it like this if I can avoid smoking one cigarette its a win. Most days I can avoid it but everyone is human.

You can do it, Kiddo. You just have to want to bad enough. It's not easy, I know. I smoked 50 years. Quit a few times, but always gave in. I don't consider myself someone with a high degree of willpower, but the day I bought my first vape kit was the last day I lit up tobacco...... April 19, 13. I bought a couple juices I liked and told myself this was going to work......I'm in control of this. Must have worked. I smell better, my truck, house, everything smells better. And, when I think of all the money that went up in smoke .... well, nuff said on that. Just remember, you can do it if you really want to.

I'm really starting to feel optimistic about this with all of your sharing guys. I mean I still smoked a stick or two for the past few days but not more than that. For some reason, when I see someone light up a stick and get to smell it, I despise it and want it at the same time. Then when I light up my own I feel the same way. It's probably the addiction...

I did the math too. Cigarettes here in my country is way cheaper than the ones from your places. It costs less than a dollar yet our living here makes it expensive already. In a month I used to spend more than $50 for cigarettes which is already a lot for us here. So far this month I have spent less than $10 for it and so far I just spent money for juices because the mod I use is what I used to have back when I vaped.