TOBH modding

Joshuab3687

bemypeva.jpgedavepej.jpge3asegy8.jpg

So, I ground off the tabs on the deck and opened up the airflow by turning the stock 3 holes on each side into a cyclops airflow. I tried drilling out the post holes last night on a different one, but found that I don't have the proper bits for stainless steel. Ruined several bits and dremel bits too as well as ruining 2 TOBH attys. Reminder: drinking and drilling is a bad idea!

You can drill stainless with regular bits. You just have to run ur drill slow and keep it lubricated during the process. Will take some time but it can be done.

I've given up on trying to drill the TOBH. I lucked out and preordered the Mephisto. 3mm post holes!

I tried everything to get my TOBH's post holes drilled except the cutting fluid. All the bits I had used were crap anyway and burned up and consequently heat tempered the posts. I'll have to wait for my titanium bits and cutting fluid to get in before I try again.

Drilling stainless is real easy. Just set your drill press to the lowest speed and use cutting fluid. Oh, an old trick that may be common knowledge is using gel flux as a cutting fluid beats out just about anything I have tried.

You can drill it with cheap bits. Until you start hitting steels hardened higher on the Rockwell C scale it shouldn't be a problem. A dull bit can cause heat quick though. Just sharpen them by hand. You have to make sure the shoulder behind the cutting edge is lower than the cutting edge.

Hope this helps.

Dang! You can clean that up, grab yourself a swedish knife file and fix it right up :)

bemypeva.jpgedavepej.jpge3asegy8.jpg
So, I ground off the tabs on the deck and opened up the airflow by turning the stock 3 holes on each side into a cyclops airflow. I tried drilling out the post holes last night on a different one, but found that I don't have the proper bits for stainless steel. Ruined several bits and dremel bits too as well as ruining 2 TOBH attys. Reminder: drinking and drilling is a bad idea!

I've given up on trying to drill the TOBH. I lucked out and preordered the Mephisto. 3mm post holes!

I tried everything to get my TOBH's post holes drilled except the cutting fluid. All the bits I had used were crap anyway and burned up and consequently heat tempered the posts. I'll have to wait for my titanium bits and cutting fluid to get in before I try again.

wd40 or aerokroil will work just like the cutting oil. it just takes more of it because its a thinner fluid.

Okay.....

Sorry bro. I didn't mean for that to come out harsh at ya. Just to clarify, I usually have to leave home Sunday mornings and drive a truck all week long and return home late friday nights. When I do get in the shop to get some modding done, I have to get in, get it done, and get back to pampering my wife. How my modding jobs look go to the wayside in lieu of performance and keeping the Mrs happy. Now I have my daughters at my house for the summer, so my time for modding is relatively non existent till I go an vaca in 2 more weeks. At which point, I'll have to get up early and work on stuff while my queen and 2 princesses sleep in. Please accept my apologies if I was bit brash in my earlier post.

It's okay. File work is very quick and easy. I felt it would have cleaned it up a bit. Who knows, it may have made it pull in air less turbulent and also given it a different sound. I was actually thinking of my kayfun and the noises it makes from a straight hole compared to the russian 91 that is quiet due to the nicer angled and chamfered hole.

It's okay. File work is very quick and easy. I felt it would have cleaned it up a bit. Who knows, it may have made it pull in air less turbulent and also given it a different sound. I was actually thinking of my kayfun and the noises it makes from a straight hole compared to the russian 91 that is quiet due to the nicer angled and chamfered hole.

But hey, I could see payin ya to do my modding for me! I'll just send you my stuff, you do your magic, I pay ya, you send it back, and then I look good while changing the weather patterns around the country! Lol