Looking for a good RDA

mvince201

What is a good RDA for a beginner? They all appear to be very similar in most aspects. Just not sure if there are any specific ones that are harder/easier to build than others.

Edited by mvince201

What is a good RDA for a beginner? They all appear to be very similar in most aspects. Just not sure if there are any specific ones that are harder/easier to build than others.

I actually just went through the same questioning/learning process. I got three of them actually, one was gifted to me by a friend and the other two I purchased and received yesterday. I bought a Patriot Clone and the Omega by Tobeco, and was gifted the Igo.

As far as building goes, Right now the RDA's with posts that have holes in them are easier for me to build dual coil setups on. That's a minor difference, and I have shaky hands so that may be part of the reason. But it's easier for me to stick the wire through the hole in the post and clamp down the screw, than it is to wrap wire around a regular screw post good enough to get good contact and enough "bite."

But the big difference for me wasn't in the actual "building", it's the fit and finish. One of my RDA's is so hard to take the top cap off and put it back on that I'm worried I'll damage a mod or ego battery trying to get it apart. That's the downside of clones, at least the ones I got, and on something with such tight tolerances it only takes a nano hair of difference to make or break how easy it is to use and rebuild and how it performs.

So do your research on whichever one you're planning to buy, and see what people say about how it fits together and if it presses on easily but keeps a good seal, and if it's almost impossible to pull apart or not.

A little side note, I bought silica wick thinking it would be easier and more "noob" friendly. Man was I wrong! I fought the silica and it tasted funny for me with the first few setups I built. I swapped to cotton, a $3 bag of organic cotton balls, and it made it sooooo much easier to build and also like tripled the performance over the silica I had, and I know part of that is because my silica wasn't tight enough inside the coil. But yeah do yourself a favor and regardless of which wick you use, have some cotton balls handy just in case.

Charliestheman if the RDA that has a top cap that is hard to put on has 2 O rings, take one off. This will make the cap much easier to take off and put on.

To answer the OP, I like the Patriot the best of all I have used. There is no RDA that is beginner friendly. Just make sure you do your homework before getting into RDAs. :)

I actually just went through the same questioning/learning process. I got three of them actually, one was gifted to me by a friend and the other two I purchased and received yesterday. I bought a Patriot Clone and the Omega by Tobeco, and was gifted the Igo.

As far as building goes, Right now the RDA's with posts that have holes in them are easier for me to build dual coil setups on. That's a minor difference, and I have shaky hands so that may be part of the reason. But it's easier for me to stick the wire through the hole in the post and clamp down the screw, than it is to wrap wire around a regular screw post good enough to get good contact and enough "bite."

But the big difference for me wasn't in the actual "building", it's the fit and finish. One of my RDA's is so hard to take the top cap off and put it back on that I'm worried I'll damage a mod or ego battery trying to get it apart. That's the downside of clones, at least the ones I got, and on something with such tight tolerances it only takes a nano hair of difference to make or break how easy it is to use and rebuild and how it performs.

So do your research on whichever one you're planning to buy, and see what people say about how it fits together and if it presses on easily but keeps a good seal, and if it's almost impossible to pull apart or not.

A little side note, I bought silica wick thinking it would be easier and more "noob" friendly. Man was I wrong! I fought the silica and it tasted funny for me with the first few setups I built. I swapped to cotton, a $3 bag of organic cotton balls, and it made it sooooo much easier to build and also like tripled the performance over the silica I had, and I know part of that is because my silica wasn't tight enough inside the coil. But yeah do yourself a favor and regardless of which wick you use, have some cotton balls handy just in case.

Thanks for the info! I was actually looking at the Igo mainly as it appeared to be the simplest route. I assumed they were all very similar just didn't know what the differences were and which ones mattered.

Charliestheman if the RDA that has a top cap that is hard to put on has 2 O rings, take one off. This will make the cap much easier to take off and put on.

To answer the OP, I like the Patriot the best of all I have used. There is no RDA that is beginner friendly. Just make sure you do your homework before getting into RDAs. :)

Yeah I completely understand that. Like I said I just didn't know if there was a specific one that may be a little easier for a starter. But thanks guys! I think I will be ordering either a patriot or igo

I think you would be happiest with the Patriot. It has a nice build platform and as charlies said, the post holes make building easier and you get a better connection.

My IGO W4 has the holes in the post and it's got lots of room so connecting coils is pretty easy. :)

P.S. The air holes need to be drilled out because they're too small - - for me. Does the Patriot have the adjustable airflow? My Trident V2 has the adjustable airflow.

Edited by Tameiki

I think the idea of finding your favorite is only going to happen after you try a few. The ppl that have responded have gone thru several and now know what "they" like. For now, I'd say based on the feedback that the patriot, or IgoL would be a good starting point. You won't know what type of airflow you like best untill you try. It's not the same thing as any clearo/tank you may have tried so far.

I think the idea of finding your favorite is only going to happen after you try a few. The ppl that have responded have gone thru several and now know what "they" like. For now, I'd say based on the feedback that the patriot, or IgoL would be a good starting point. You won't know what type of airflow you like best untill you try. It's not the same thing as any clearo/tank you may have tried so far.

Yeah I hear ya, just trying to get as many suggestions as possible before I select my first one ya know? ;)

My IGO W4 has the holes in the post and it's got lots of room so connecting coils is pretty easy. :)

P.S. The air holes need to be drilled out because they're too small - - for me. Does the Patriot have the adjustable airflow? My Trident V2 has the adjustable airflow.

Yeap it does. :) I just like the larger platform of the Patriot over the Igo w4 :) I haven't used the Trident V2 I hear it is a lot better than the Trident V1. No the Patriot doesn't have adjustable air flow it would need drilled out as well.

Yeap it does. :) I just like the larger platform of the Patriot over the Igo w4 :) I haven't used the Trident V2 I hear it is a lot better than the Trident V1. No the Patriot doesn't have adjustable air flow it would need drilled out as well.

I can't compare the Trident V1 with the V2 because I've never tried the first one. The V2 seems good -- I just need to get the damned wicks to behave!