Petition To Veto FDA Regulations

3Rutez

READ & SHARE BEFORE YOU GO SIGNING A PETITION WITHOUT EDUCATING YOURSELF OR OTHERS!

***Message from CASAA.org - The Consumer Advocates for Smoke-free Alternatives Association***

If you are asking about the White House petition to "veto" the FDA regulations, there is a LOT wrong with it and that is why I haven't let it be posted in the group yet. I will submit it to the rest of the CASAA Board of Directors to get an official ruling on whether or not we will endorse it, but it is unlikely. We'd rather our members start preparing to submit comments to the FDA, where it really counts.

If it was well-written and factual, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend signing it, but that is not the case. You can sign it for the sake of "doing something," but you will be adding your name to a petition that is filled with misinformation and a fundamental lack of understanding of the regulatory process and the FSPTCA. The media and ANTZ could easily use the fact that so many vapers signed such an inaccurate petition against us. Showing a powerful, mass front is good, but showing it on a petition filled with so many errors may only serve to make us look uninformed and unorganized. So, in a way, is actually could "hurt" to sign the petition.

Additionally, I am concerned that too many people wil sign a petition and when it comes time to send in a comment to the FDA, they will mistakenly think "I already signed something about this" and not do it. That would be less people submitting comments directly to the FDA and that could hurt us, as well.

After all of that, the FDA will likely never even look at it. We've done White House petitions before (about the FDA and e-cigarettes) and the Administration just kicked it over to the FDA to answer us!

The FDA comment period is a part of the actual process and essentially IS our petition. It's the time to get our voices heard by the right people.

We have OVER TWO MONTHS to get our comments in and that is plenty of time. The process does not favor those who "get there first," so we have no need to rush into things. Calm, rational and factual comments are needed and that takes a little time to organize.

Anyone who has been a member for some time and attended the member meetings over the years will tell you that we expected to have to analyze the rules and we wouldn't issue a statement, nor advise our membership to take certain actions, without first having a clear understanding of not only the language of the rules, but their greater implications. We are just asking for members to please be patient for a few DAYS, while we scrutinize the rules and craft a comprehensive Call to Action to assist members in submitting their comments.

I'm sorry if people feel we should be doing things faster or doing other things besides focusing on the FDA comment period, but we are doing the best we can. Julie, Carl and Elaine were working on it as soon as they got it this morning, with a short intermission to listen to the FDA Q&A call. Please remember that we are all volunteers with jobs and families, not paid lobbyists. Even so, rest assured that this is a high priority and is not being ignored.

I did a little more reading after posting and signing. Next time I will be sure to research before I share info. The boards and groups were swarming with this petition, so I figured it was a legit effort that would support a veto. My bad people. :/

No worry you were just trying to help. Sometimes we jump the gun because were are passionate about this. I will from now on just follow the advice of Cassa and look for their call to action and take action as they see fit. The last thing we need now is the wild west attitude. We need to take this very seriously because it is the future of vaping that is at stake. Not to mention many companies and jobs.

READ & SHARE BEFORE YOU GO SIGNING A PETITION WITHOUT EDUCATING YOURSELF OR OTHERS!

***Message from CASAA.org - The Consumer Advocates for Smoke-free Alternatives Association***

If you are asking about the White House petition to "veto" the FDA regulations, there is a LOT wrong with it and that is why I haven't let it be posted in the group yet. I will submit it to the rest of the CASAA Board of Directors to get an official ruling on whether or not we will endorse it, but it is unlikely. We'd rather our members start preparing to submit comments to the FDA, where it really counts.

If it was well-written and factual, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend signing it, but that is not the case. You can sign it for the sake of "doing something," but you will be adding your name to a petition that is filled with misinformation and a fundamental lack of understanding of the regulatory process and the FSPTCA. The media and ANTZ could easily use the fact that so many vapers signed such an inaccurate petition against us. Showing a powerful, mass front is good, but showing it on a petition filled with so many errors may only serve to make us look uninformed and unorganized. So, in a way, is actually could "hurt" to sign the petition.

Additionally, I am concerned that too many people wil sign a petition and when it comes time to send in a comment to the FDA, they will mistakenly think "I already signed something about this" and not do it. That would be less people submitting comments directly to the FDA and that could hurt us, as well.

After all of that, the FDA will likely never even look at it. We've done White House petitions before (about the FDA and e-cigarettes) and the Administration just kicked it over to the FDA to answer us!

The FDA comment period is a part of the actual process and essentially IS our petition. It's the time to get our voices heard by the right people.

We have OVER TWO MONTHS to get our comments in and that is plenty of time. The process does not favor those who "get there first," so we have no need to rush into things. Calm, rational and factual comments are needed and that takes a little time to organize.

Anyone who has been a member for some time and attended the member meetings over the years will tell you that we expected to have to analyze the rules and we wouldn't issue a statement, nor advise our membership to take certain actions, without first having a clear understanding of not only the language of the rules, but their greater implications. We are just asking for members to please be patient for a few DAYS, while we scrutinize the rules and craft a comprehensive Call to Action to assist members in submitting their comments.

I'm sorry if people feel we should be doing things faster or doing other things besides focusing on the FDA comment period, but we are doing the best we can. Julie, Carl and Elaine were working on it as soon as they got it this morning, with a short intermission to listen to the FDA Q&A call. Please remember that we are all volunteers with jobs and families, not paid lobbyists. Even so, rest assured that this is a high priority and is not being ignored.

Thank you Jeff, Passing it on.

CASAA Members and Non Members: Please email this press release to your local newspapers and news stations.

2+color+logo.jpg

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

WASHINGTON, April 28, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Last week, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) released its long-awaited draft regulations for electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes) and other low-risk alternatives to smoking. The regulations offer little benefit, according to The Consumer Advocates for Smoke-free Alternatives Association (CASAA), the leading advocate for the current and future consumers of low-risk alternatives to smoking. However, CASAA believes that should the FDA finalize the rule in its current form, it will inflict devastating harm on consumers.

“This is a classic case of government imposing a ‘solution’ and then looking for a problem,” said CASAA President Julie Woessner, J.D. “The regulations do nothing to address real concerns, and instead are a slow-motion ban of the high quality e-cigarettes that have helped so many smokers quit. The rules would mostly require busy-work filings that impose huge costs with little apparent benefit.”

The proposed regulations are based on a faulty understanding of the science, reports CASAA Scientific Director, Dr. Carl V. Phillips. “FDA has cherry-picked the available evidence,” says Phillips, “blindly accepting any assertion that favors aggressive regulation and ignoring the overwhelming evidence about the harms that these regulations would cause.”

Although the regulations do not openly ban the refillable devices that are preferred by experienced users, they impose a costly registration and approval process that would effectively eliminate them. Such registrations offer minimal benefits, but ensure that only a few large companies who mass-produce small and disposable products would be able to afford the necessary filings. Additionally, while the regulations do not immediately ban the variety of popular flavors for e-cigarette liquid, they signal an intention to do so in the future.

“Our research and others’ shows that higher-quality hardware and appealing flavors are important for smoking cessation,” says Phillips. “Many former smokers report that they were always tempted to go back to smoking while using the smaller devices with imitation tobacco flavoring, but they quit smoking for good when they found better hardware and flavors that no longer reminded them of smoking.”

It is estimated that as many as a million American smokers have quit or substantially reduced their smoking thanks to e-cigarettes, and many are already making plans for a black market if these regulations take effect. Those smokers who are using e-cigarettes in a transition stage could easily return to smoking--and future potential switchers may never be able to make the transition--if the restrictions on high-quality products are imposed. Woessner, who quit smoking thanks to e-cigarettes, fears such impacts. “If I had been limited to only those products that would exist under this regulation, I would probably still be smoking.”

CASAA is preparing a response that will point out the flaws in the proposed regulations and is organizing its members and hundreds of thousand of other e-cigarette users in an attempt to persuade FDA about the harms this regulation would cause. Should that fail, it plans to fight the regulations in court.

CASAA is a 501©(4) nonprofit, public health, membership NGO. It does not represent the interests of industry. Donations are not tax-deductible as a charitable contribution.

Contact: Carl V Phillips, CASAA Scientific Director, 651-503-6746, cphillips@casaa.org.
________________________________________________________________________________

• 1 month later...