Where I Am and where I'm Headed

My grandad used to tell me a stupid saying about how to tell if the snow will stick when I was little. Its has stuck with me over the years:

No sticky, sticky. Sticky, no sticky.

Had something to do humidity and the barometric pressure. When it would snow, he'd have me go out and try making a good snowball with it. If it clumped together nicely, then he'd say that it won't last long. If it fell apart easily, then the snow was settling in for a while.

Funny, the things we remember from childhood!

Josh, what are blood stripes?

If its something I'd rather not know dont tell me.

Tried to ask on pm but won't let me do that.

Blood Stripes are the scarlet stripes that run down the outside seam of the blue dress trousers of NCO's (non-commisioned officers) and above to commemorate the battle of Chapultapec in the Mexican-American war. Ironically, it was one of the least bloodiest Marine battles in history.

When a Marine make the rank of E-4/Corporal they are entitled to wear the blood striped on their dress blue trousers. Its also commonly a time for "hazing" at the promotion ceremony to E-4. Your fellow nco's will make two lines and you walk between them while they knee you in the thighs. Its painful, kinda barbaric, but filled me with a great sense of pride when I was promoted to E-4

Josh! Pa said to ask you ...

Do you know why they put Marines on ships???

Of course! Because sheep are too obvious! Lol

In reality, its cause the Marines are the main fighting force and security force of the navy. While the navy are primarily a distance offensive force by sitting at sea lobbing long range artillery and missles, the Marines are an amphibious multipurpose landing/fighting force.

If it absolutely, positively must be destroyed overnite, dial 1-800-MARINES! Ooh-Rah

If Pa was asking that from a historical perspective, then the answer would be: Prior to/and during the revolutionary war, navsl ships would often be attacked/boarded by pirate vessels. Marines were stationed up the yard arms or masts and crowsnests with rifles to act as sharpshooters to deter the pirates. Which also leads to another historical footnote as to why the officers of the Marine Corps have the fluré de líse embroidered on their covers (hats).

Uh oh pas rattling off he said hang up the wheel man and get in the deal.. if you have a psych doctorate he said get your arse here you been there and have the books its needed! Ramble ramble ramble.... ( this is why we Dont stir up pa much lol)