Snowed in

Looks like I'll be back to work tomorrow, I'll be doubling up the long johns and socks just to keep the feeling in me toes.

Snowboarders' long johns are very light weight yet extremely warm. They're also much thinner than traditional ones. I get them for my SO so he doesn't freeze at his work. Hope you stay warm tomorrow! :D

But snow can be fun! I love to watch cars slow down or stop to look at the anatomically correct snowmen on my front lawn.  :lol:

Lol nice I don't know we might get some snow. If it pans out that way they said it might get in the teens and might rain to lol.

But snow can be fun! I love to watch cars slow down or stop to look at the anatomically correct snowmen on my front lawn. :lol:

My dog is having an absolute BLAST in the snow, except now it's gotten so cold out that he spends literally two minutes (I've timed him each time he's gone out) outside. This morning, refused to go out, refused to go near the door. I'm wondering how we're going to get him to go out at bedtime, it's already back to four below. This morning it was 7 below. And I'm sure by the time we go to bed, it will probably drop down closer to that. At least tomorrow, it's going to be up into the 20's (it's a heat wave). School is still off tomorrow because of the speed of the wind, the wind chill, and the roads will refreeze overnight (heck, they still haven't hit our street a second time, they are so busy on the main roads fighting the drifting snow). I feel sorry for the mail lady, because some people won't shovel any of their walkways - my neighbor, the city fireman being the worst of the bunch. She's knocked on his door after several snowfalls and asked him to shovel because while she can walk across our yard and his in a straight line to get to his mailbox, she has to go back down to the street side sidewalk to get to the next house, and if he doesn't shovel, many times it's dangerous for her to do it. Last time she threatened to stop dropping his mail off if it didn't get done.

Had something weird happen with my furnace today. I was chilly, so I looked at the thermostat. Set on 71, but it was only 69 degrees in here. I don't know why, but I didn't even realize the furnace wasn't running. Half an hour later, 67 degrees in here....well, in the dining room, which is the warmest room on the first floor. So I go upstairs and start layering, tried calling the other's cell phone.....which got left at home. Since he and the boys were shoveling at his folks' house, I decided to try an experiment (and by this time I was wearing gloves, don't do cold hands very well). Turned the furnace off. Waited a couple minutes, turned it back on. Then the darned thing kicked back on! By the time he got home 45 minutes later, it had risen up to a whole 68 in the house. He got mad because I should have called earlier, but I didn't actually REALIZE the furnace wasn't running until I discovered it was down to 67, and then I put on my shirts and then did my experiment (and I'm always wearing a jacket in the house, too, so three layers on top), and the furnace started working, so there was no reason to call him, right?

Ugh. I don't know which is worse -- the temperature or the leaving for work at 4 a.m. *shudders*

I don't mind going in that early. I get to leave before it gets really crazy! lol It also gives me a chance to play with my little 4 wheel drive while there is no traffic on the roads.

But snow can be fun! I love to watch cars slow down or stop to look at the anatomically correct snowmen on my front lawn. :lol:

:lol: I went to the museum last week and was in the health and human body exhibit. There was a display of humans bodies climbing a rock face. One body was just bones and the other was the body with the skin removed. The skinless one was a male. It was interesting... I probably looked longer than I should have.

I don't mind going in that early. I get to leave before it gets really crazy! lol It also gives me a chance to play with my little 4 wheel drive while there is no traffic on the roads.

:lol: I went to the museum last week and was in the health and human body exhibit. There was a display of humans bodies climbing a rock face. One body was just bones and the other was the body with the skin removed. The skinless one was a male. It was interesting... I probably looked longer than I should have.

A morning person I am not. Night owl? Definitely. :D

Was this at the Natural Science museum? I love that place! Don't remember seeing that exhibit, though.

While temps are lifting, oddly enough THIS MORNING was the day the cold water line to the washer decided to freeze up. We finally got ourselves dug out, and school is closed AGAIN tomorrow, citing all the same issues - wind chill, sidewalks not cleared, and something new! Evidently the school district hasn't gotten it's parking lots cleared off yet.

A morning person I am not. Night owl? Definitely. :D

Was this at the Natural Science museum? I love that place! Don't remember seeing that exhibit, though.

It was the Natural History Museum by the zoo. The exhibit wasn't there the last time I was there, which was about 2 years ago. It was pretty cool. There are a bunch of interactive displays about the body. It is sponsored by Kaiser. Not sure if it is permanent or temporary. If you go, you should pick a week day when there aren't so many kids there. It was packed the day we were there.

Got this link last night, didn't have time to look at it until today.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/07/weird-frozen-things_n_4555414.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009

BTW, Tam, your "anatomically correct" snowman in the front yard? Someone did you one better. There is a pic going around facebook of a very large snow, ahem, member and balls draped over the back of a parked car. I'm ASUMMING it's photoshopped, because it appears to have been done in a parking lot.

While temps are lifting, oddly enough THIS MORNING was the day the cold water line to the washer decided to freeze up. We finally got ourselves dug out, and school is closed AGAIN tomorrow, citing all the same issues - wind chill, sidewalks not cleared, and something new! Evidently the school district hasn't gotten it's parking lots cleared off yet.

And you'd rather live in Illinois ?!! Not me! Sunny and 50ish today! It's actually warmer here than home (NOLA)

The temp here dropped. It was a brisk 66 degrees here in SoCal. Time to pull out the parkas. :)

Way back when I moved from San Diego to Alaska in early September going from 110 in the shade to lower 60s. I had my parka on and my lips were blue when I stepped off the plane. The people there were running around in shorts and tank tops complaining of the heat. :lol:

And you'd rather live in Illinois ?!! Not me! Sunny and 50ish today! It's actually warmer here than home (NOLA)

Actually, if it weren't for the fact of leaving family behind, and well, cost, I'd love to move. I would imagine being from NOLA you can imagine the humidity we get here in the summer, and heat and humidity are bad for my MS, and summers are just getting hotter. But I don't want to go someplace that's a crap ton colder, either. Plus, well, $$. Hell, we've been talking about moving from here for 17 years, at least (so wayyyy before MS). I do have to say, this is only the second time in my LIFE I've had a frozen pipe. Once was at my parents house, hell, I can't remember what that pipe was going up to, come to think of it, it was on the wrong wall to be going to the kitchen sink or to the bathroom, so I guess it crossed in the floor, and we had to cut a section of the drywall out and we took turns standing there with a blowdryer. It would have been around when I was 15 because my sister and her husband lived there, and it was her first marriage. And then we heard the ice blockage whoooshing up. And then yesterday - which is a miracle in this old house. Son used the blowdryer on it for about 5 minutes, hubby had hooked up a hose to where it would have hooked into the washer, and he just opened the valve until the water started running.

I just can't believe it happened YESTERDAY of all days. Old stone foundation, not the best in keeping out drafts (or leaks), and on the first day it was ABOVE zero, we had a frozen pipe, lol.

By the way, talk to me about liking living in Illinois in July. I pretty much don't leave my house during the summer.

Edited by spydre

I want to move from Michigan I hate it here cant stand cold or snow been here most my life except for a few years in Florida when I was 14-15 but im stuck wife has a good job working at meijers corporate office

Well, it's a heat wave today. We got a little bit more snow last night - like an inch, tops. But my SO actually pulled over on the road to call me and tell me to get the trash/recycling out to the curb, because the truck is close. Problem is, the snow doesn't realize that it's 31 degrees, and is still cold as hell, and my guys didn't shovel a path from where we keep the cans to the front of the house, and for some freaking reason, they didn't shovel the front walk that goes down toward the street. So my son grabbed the recycling can before I could, so I was stuck dragging a mostly full 90 gallon trash can through a foot of snow. Shoot, I hadn't even been up long enough for my pain killers to take effect on my back, and I was dragging that through the snow? I guess with the youngest out of school AGAIN today (because rural roads are still a mess), he forgot that it was Thursday, although when he went to the car he could CLEARLY see the neighbors' cans out on the street. But his back does hurt as much as mine, from all the shoveling he's done this week.