Snowed in

I seriously don't get this. We got 10 - 14 inches of snow on SUNDAY. Then yesterday morning, an inch. School was called off again TODAY, by 5 pm last night, because of "snowy bus stops an unplowed back roads." There are three communities that feed this school district, Godfrey, about 26 square miles, Alton, about 30,000 people, and Foster Township, whose roads are plowed by Alton. Are you telling me that in a WEEK, they still haven't managed to get the rural roads plowed?????

Started raining here yesterday, now were having flooding problems from all the snow melting, I'm glad to see it go!

Yup, our rain was going last night pretty good. Ground was still frozen a bit, so there were some areas that had flash flooding, plus we have little creeks running all over the fraking place (found another - of course sy fy produced show - that uses that term!) that can overflow pretty quickly. Luckily, not near us. A one hundred year old leaky stone foundation would be no match for a swollen creek. Most of our snow's gone, though, and since it broke 50 today, now we are mopping mud off the dog's feet instead of snow. But at least the 17 year old will be going to school Monday. The academic year has been pushed back an entire week, but they had literally just finished the 1st semester before Christmas break (finals were the last two days before break), and they shouldn't have to make up any days, they should have 5 extra days built into the calendar.....but I won't complain about him being out of the house during the day an extra week!

• 2 weeks later...

Found out this morning, my area is expecting 12-24" of lake effect snow starting tonight.

My goodness, Wizard. I am ashamed to admit that I don't know a lot about your geography. Are you in the Lake Effect area? We're getting the really cold snap - at least my dog won't be stepping in mud at his favorite spot in the yard, where he SITS in the mud - but we are only are supposed to get about two inches.

Yeah I understand that I hope spring comes early

I would be perfectly happy if spring happened early, but I don't want one of those springs where just as my backyard dirt areas become resistant to making muddy paw prints on my floor, we get enough rain, or it rains long enough, that keeps it that way for another week. I love my dog, but I'm tired of wiping his feet every time he comes in. If it's just snow and we don't have any ice melt on the back steps or patio, and we don't have to worry about snow being packed in between his pads, I don't necessarily have to worry about wiping his feet off. Our last dog was light enough (35 pounds) that unless it was REALLY mucky, she seemed to sort of float on top of the mud, but Dodger is more than double her weight, plus much bigger, so yeah, he doesn't float in it. Plus he sits in it. The good thing is, under most circumstances, unless he's preparing to lie down, when he sits, his rump doesn't actually hit the ground (I don't know why he does this), so it's just the entire back of his legs that get covered in the mud.

But he likes the snow. Snow makes him HYPER, and he just runs! That, and I looked outside after the last snowstorm, when we got a foot, and he literally, for no reason, just DOVE his whole head into the snow!

How on earth do you keep from getting sick/sinus issues with all that bouncing around temperature wise?

We don't here in StL! My sinuses have been awful, but even then, they're better than they were when I was smoking!!

Today is crock pot chili day. The men are going to need it after all the shoveling here AND at my in-laws'. There is a lot of it needing to be done here, plus the in laws' LARGE two plus car driveway, and "potty path" for their mini dachshund.

When we got over 12" last week, it was fun to watch my dachshund get around in it. He'd jump his way through it. He finally got tired of that and wouldn't go more than two feet from the door. We shoveled him a path after that.

When we got over 12" last week, it was fun to watch my dachshund get around in it. He'd jump his way through it. He finally got tired of that and wouldn't go more than two feet from the door. We shoveled him a path after that.

Yeah, if you look at my location, I'm in Alton, just by you guys. As a matter of fact, our school district called off at about 6:30 tonight for tomorrow because of the crazy wind chills we're gonna have tomorrow. This mini dachshund is a spoiled prissy *itch. If my in-laws are gone for an especially long time, they may call my SO to go take her out. Once she gets outside, she won't do anything, she won't even walk. Yes, he dragged her across the yard to her "potty place". They have always shoveled almost all the show out of her path, and packed the rest down so she doesn't have to worry about sinking into it. And she starts barking if she can't find my mother in law.....argh. And she's the pickiest eater in the WORLD. For a dog that has gotten no table scraps since she moved in with my in-laws' (she used to be my brother in laws dog when he lived on the other side of MO), she turns her nose up at darn near every treat they buy her. But her refusal is our dog's gain. We have a TON of treats that Buttons won't eat that Dodger just loves. The Beneful dog food? There are certain pieces of it that she wouldn't eat, so they stopped buying it.

BTW, everyone else, when I say crazy wind chills - I don't know what the wind is supposed to get up to, but for the entire day, windchills anywhere between -10 and -25. Now, SIUE, the college that son #1 and SO attend, LOTSA space for the wind to ramp up, and they have to walk HUGE distances. They've both stubbornly refused scarves.

Edited by spydre

We're expecting maybe an inch of snow tomorrow. Since she's so vertically challenged we always have to clear a little place for her.

Okay, we have to clear quite a bit of space so she has her choice of potty places. No, she's not spoiled at all. Lol.

Today's been pretty mild but we've had lots of wind. Lots of tumble weeds with sharp thorns blew into the little fenced area we have for Teni to go potty in. She wouldn't go there the past few days even though we cleared out the tumble weeds because they left little scraps of thorns behind and they're all in the landscaping rocks. We've been taking her out the front instead. More than likely we'll have to remove all the rock this weekend and try to figure out how to keep the area free from mud this weekend. *sighs*

Okay, I just got up, and holy cold front, Batman! Okay, the cold front hit before, but it's sooo much worse today. No snow, but right now the wind chill is -18, and we are hovering just above zero as far as ACTUAL temperature.

Weird weather is really weird here in Colorado. Luckily we're not getting the extreme cold temps like you guys farther north and northeast, but I woke up this morning and there's two inches of snow on the ground and still snowing. That's not bad. Our high is supposed to get up to 23F, it's 11 right now.

This is where it gets strange.

Tomorrow's high is forecast to hit 60 degrees, 63 on Saturday. Gotta love winter in the Rockies. For those of you who have the cold -- I hope you get to stay where it's warm. :)