Micro Coil, Cotton Wick KPT2 Build

3Rutez

I've had a few people here, and elsewhere who were curious how I built my cotton wick and micro coil for the Pro Tank 2. It's super simple. Here is a quick step by step.

Needed :

- 5/64 drill bit

- Sterile Cotton Ball (boiled or unboiled, your preference)

- 28g Kanthal

- Tweezers

- Torch or lighter, but a torch is preferable, as it burns cleaner and hotter.

1.) Start your wrap around the drill bit.

56428g_zpsd2932073.jpg

I did 12 wraps to achieve 1.8ohm

12wraps_zps97f472b3.jpg

2.) Compress coil with tweezers. Heat with torch for a good 10 seconds. It should hold its' compressed state after cooling.

tweezerpress_zps16a504e4.jpg

Coil is ready to go.

finishedcoil_zpsf46f047f.jpg

3.) Insert coil back into the head. Just like Rixter showed, keep one lead outside of the insulator and one through the middle. That insulator is there to keep them from coming in contact with each other. Insert metal pin.

insertseal_zpsc42dadc9.jpg

(Please refer to Rixters' tutorial for all the details, as this is just a quick look at the coil and wick.)

4.) Pull apart some cotton. Use a thin piece.

cotton_zpsdc7d88fa.jpg

Roll cotton between fingers. You may find that licking or slightly wetting your fingers helps to roll it better.

rollcotton_zps5700398a.jpg

5.) Insert cotton wick through coil. Trim off excess.

insertwick_zps1d978c8f.jpg

6.) Roll a similar piece and lay over the top of the coil. Add some drops of juice to saturate it.

saturate_zpsce063eb1.jpg

7.) Pop the stem back on.

finished_zps37366d73.jpg

You are ready to roll. Flavor heaven awaits, and it should be easy to just replace the cotton when needed, without needing to remove the coil.

Please don't try this if you aren't sure about building coils yet.

I've got some white cotton yarn from Walmart (under $5 for the entire ball). I like your method. Similar enough like Rixter's. Now to try out the cotton yarn rather than the silica. I boiled my cotton for 45 minutes and let it air dry for about 36 hours.

Thanks for the post.

I've got some white cotton yarn from Walmart (under $5 for the entire ball). I like your method. Similar enough like Rixter's. Now to try out the cotton yarn rather than the silica. I boiled my cotton for 45 minutes and let it air dry for about 36 hours.

Thanks for the post.

Try a sterile cotton ball... It's fantastic. :)

Hmm I'm gonna have to attempt this. Curious as to where the leads from the coil end up, couldn't really tell in the pics.

The leads end up in the bottom where the gasket and the metal pin meet. One goes in the inside of the gasket and the other on the outside and a metal pin goes right in the middle.

Yes, I would've done a more thorough step-by-step, but then I might have stepped on Rixters toes. He explained it in perfect detail, so please refer to his PINNED post for the complete rebuilding process. Vape On! :D

Here it is, the 1.1ohm nano coil.

28gnano_zps9a30f14b.jpg

This thing is tiny.

11ohmnano_zps298a8fe8.jpg

It vapes like a BEAST. Way more flavor and vapor production than the 1.8ohm micro coil.

I looked everywhere for a 20g syringe needle at local stores, but couldn't find any. Then I remembered that the syringe tipped dropper has a 20g tip. :D

Edited by 3Rutez

Yes, I would've done a more thorough step-by-step, but then I might have stepped on Rixters toes. He explained it in perfect detail, so please refer to his PINNED post for the complete rebuilding process. Vape On! :D

I would never object to someone posting as much info on new techniques as they can...this place is all about learning and sharing. I found out about how to rebuild from someone else, added a twist or two of my own, and then posted what I've learned, so you won't be stepping on my toes by doing the same. :thumbup:

Edited by Rixter

Nice! I can't wait to try... Where can I buy Kanthal from? I know online but is it something I can go into a local vape store or home depot or something to get?

My local b&m had some to spare, but they don't really sell it. They might real soon though. I would check them out and see if they carry any. As far as other storefronts, Home Depot doesn't carry Kanthal, you would need to find an industrial type of store, or maybe a hobby place might carry it. Radio Shack used to have it, but they no longer carry Kanthal.

I would never object to someone posting as much info on new techniques as they can...this place is all about learning and sharing. I found out about how to rebuild from someone else, added a twist or two of my own, and then posted what I've learned, so you won't be stepping on my toes by doing the same. :thumbup:

No problem bro. I just wanted to make sure, but didn't feel the need to post something that had already been posted. Next time I do a step-by-step tutorial, I won't leave anything out. ;) Your thread deserves the redirect though, as you did an awesome job explaining the process in detail. :D

I opted to use the 1.8ohm micro coil in my KPT2 instead of the nano. I only got so far until the flood came. I put the nano coil in my IGO-W, and it works lovely. It fires immediately with no ramp up time at all (I'm using a VV/VW eVic). When I have spare time to tinker, I will troubleshoot the problem with the flooding issue.

Nice! I can't wait to try... Where can I buy Kanthal from? I know online but is it something I can go into a local vape store or home depot or something to get?

While you might find some Kanthal A-1 locally, I doubt you'll find a hundred foot spool of it (lifetime supply) locally for the price temcoindustrialpower.com sells it for, and shipping is free & extremely fast. They sell 100' spools of 28 gauge for $7.75 and 32 gauge for $4.56. You'll spend that much on just a few feet of it at most places.

I use 29g for Genesis RBAs (they were out of 28g when I bought my spool) and 32g for BCC rebuilds (Kanger Protank, EVOD, etc.).

While you might find some Kanthal A-1 locally, I doubt you'll find a hundred foot spool of it (lifetime supply) locally for the price temcoindustrialpower.com sells it for, and shipping is free & extremely fast. They sell 100' spools of 28 gauge for $7.75 and 32 gauge for $4.56. You'll spend that much on just a few feet of it at most places.

I use 29g for Genesis RBAs (they were out of 28g when I bought my spool) and 32g for BCC rebuilds (Kanger Protank, EVOD, etc.).

Dang! Thanks for the info! I know have a starting point and will soon have plenty of wire to expirement with.

1.1ohm nano coil with cotton wick, over a cotton cloud. IGO-W RDA.

11ohmeVic_zpsafffdc9e.jpg

Looks like your eVic is hitting a wall somewhere because 4v²/1.1Ω should be yielding 14½ watts instead of 11 watts (3.5v²/1.1Ω=11w). Have you tried your RDA on a mech mod yet?

Edited by Rixter