Micro Coil, Cotton Wick KPT2 Build

3Rutez

A twisted coil is the equivalent to a dual coil, it halves the ohms. You would need at least a 10-12 wrap micro to be at or above 1ohm.

A twisted coil is the equivalent to a dual coil, it halves the ohms. You would need at least a 10-12 wrap micro to be at or above 1ohm.

Actually, twisted wire doesn't quite cut your resistance in half for a given length. You would think it would be half, but side by side metering shows about a third less resistance. That's because twisting two pieces of wire together adds a little length to both pieces, effectively adding a little more resistance. The tighter the twist, the more resistance you add, but generally you can figure on a third less resistance than untwisted wire.

PS - I didn't figure this out on my own. I think it was CascadianExotics.

Edited by Rixter

While you might find some Kanthal A-1 locally, I doubt you'll find a hundred foot spool of it (lifetime supply) locally for the price temcoindustrialpower.com sells it for, and shipping is free & extremely fast. They sell 100' spools of 28 gauge for $7.75 and 32 gauge for $4.56. You'll spend that much on just a few feet of it at most places.

I use 29g for Genesis RBAs (they were out of 28g when I bought my spool) and 32g for BCC rebuilds (Kanger Protank, EVOD, etc.).

Thanks for the Kanthal A-1 Link Rixter, this is way cheaper than where I just ordered from. Thank you 3Rutex and Rixter for the great info on mini coils love learning new stuff, new to me any way. ;)

Edited by Compenstine

My RSST only came with 2 spare O-rings, replacement spring and washer, and 2 spare fill hole plugs. No Kanthal or wick. Might I suggest to give cotton a whirl. I spent $3 at CVS on some Sterile Cotton Balls (First-Aid), and have a lifetime supply of wicks.

The RSST is a nice RBA. I ordered an extra tank, even though I don't really vape much juice with high PH levels.

Pull apart a cotton ball. Using a thin piece, roll it in between your fingers (slightly wetting your fingers may help in the rolling process) until it is at your desired thickness depending on coil diameter. If coil is vertical, leave the top section thicker, so it doesn't slip through the coil and into the tank. You can make it long to reach the bottom of the tank, ensuring you get all the juice in your tank, or you can let it hang 1/8 of the way to utilize the auto-drip method. If you choose to auto-drip, only fill the tank up half way, so you can tilt to saturate the wick and vape away.

Some boil the cotton and let air dry for 24 hours, as bright cotton balls are treated with H2O2 to whiten. If you are unsure then you can purchase organic cotton instead. It isn't treated and is more yellow in color.

I don't boil mine. All cotton will give off an odd wet rag taste for the first few vapes. I always saturate and burn it a few times to get rid of the cotton taste. After that, the flavor is amazing.

Pot holders, tweezers, kitchen stove.... lol, works for me ATM.

What are you building? Micro coil in a KPT? With all the coils I've been throwing at this thread, you really gotta specify. :D

Pot holders, tweezers, kitchen stove.... lol, works for me ATM.

What are you building? Micro coil in a KPT? With all the coils I've been throwing at this thread, you really gotta specify. :D

Trying to do one for a mini davide. I got everything down. But heating the coil up with the lighter didn't do to well the coil didn't stay compressed. Plus it was like burned with black smut per say. But I will get me a mini torch.

Yeah, the lighters don't burn hot enough. You get that soot.

It is trial and error with the wick. You gotta find the perfect median, or else you get flooding or no air flow.