Cleaning

Having used Davide Minis for close to a month, today I started to get a "funky" taste from one of my liquids. I put in a new coil, but the taste is still there. I have never "cleaned" my tanks since starting to use them new, and I really didn't do it then either. The taste is mild, but ever present and for lack of a better word it tastes like the tank might be "dirty" for lack of a better word.

My question is do you empty and clean your tanks? If so, how often? I have 4 fresh Davide Minis in the mailbox at home and am thinking about alcohol soaking them and my current ones tonight and cleaning them real good to see if this gets me back to the awesome taste I have been used to for a month. I have my KPT2 to use tonight while all my Davide Minis soak and get cleaned.

Thoughts?

Your tank shouldn't need anything more than a quick water rinse. There's not much for residue to adhere to. Maybe you have vaper's tongue.

That could be it, but after learning how many people cleaned their tanks out of the box before the first use (which I did with 0 of these), I thought it a question worth asking. Its almost the same taste as when you have a coil about to go bad, but it is a brand new coil and the same taste is apparent in both my mint flavor and my strawberry one.

I use dish soap and just real quick take the disassembled parts in one hand ,sqirt of dishsoap and rub in both hhands to get a lather then a quick hot rinse takes all of a minute . never had a funky taste and I think I got mine right before you did and Im only using one so It gets a lot more "use" .

maybe a little dish soap method ,cant hurt .

That could be it, but after learning how many people cleaned their tanks out of the box before the first use (which I did with 0 of these), I thought it a question worth asking. Its almost the same taste as when you have a coil about to go bad, but it is a brand new coil and the same taste is apparent in both my mint flavor and my strawberry one.

I think juice Is a little greasy.It could probably adhere to anything , trust me Im a spiller ,.Ive had it one a lot . I spilled it on the counter and I guess didnt wipe it up well and the next morning it was a white residue maybe from the sweetner? And I think it sticks around the o rings too . so a good cleaning could help it certainly cant hurt right?

I also notice a black residue in the threads whenever I swab out the base and battery connection that has gotten more apparent over time.

When I get home I am gonna disassemble them, rinse them, soak them in alcohol, and dry-put them back together and I am sure that will help. I have 4 new Davides I am going to clean before their first use as well so I might as well do em all. I switch to my KPT2 when I get home anyway. Wont need the Davides until in the morning so I might as well clean them.

Just my experience, B, but for some reason the coils that came in the minis I've gotten all seem to have weird ticks to them in one form or another. It's only after I change the coils that it seems to work well. That's just been my experience, though. YMMV. :)

Yea I have put KPT coils in all of them at this point. I go through a lot of coils lol. After cleaning them and new coils they are good to go!

I change coils as soon as I notice a drop in flavor, probably could stretch them further but at barely over a buck a piece I can deal with the convenience of just popping a new one in.

Edited by bcartervol98

After cleaning them and new coils they are good to go!

For whatever reason the coils that come in them just never seem to work for me out of the box. I'm glad I figured out I needed to change the coils for it to work. Now, whenever I pop open a new mini I just automatically pitch the coil that came in it and put a new one in so I don't have to be bothered later on.

Yep, all metal parts from china come with an oily film to prevent corrosion during transit. So you need to wash them out of the box. I usually wash y tanks when I'm done with the flavor that's in them, or for my ADVs maybe once a month, probably less...

Yep, all metal parts from china come with an oily film to prevent corrosion during transit. So you need to wash them out of the box. I usually wash y tanks when I'm done with the flavor that's in them, or for my ADVs maybe once a month, probably less...

I have the same problem with the iClear30 16 wick. I only got 2 days of clean tasting vapor before it started to taste horrible, like burned plastic. Upon inspection, I too got that same black/grey residue from the bottom end. Could be a bad coil maybe? It seems like it is originating from the coil, as it looks gunky. Yuck. I will be looking into purchasing replacement coils/wicks, but until then, I have switched back to the ProTank.

I have the same problem with the iClear30 16 wick. I only got 2 days of clean tasting vapor before it started to taste horrible, like burned plastic. Upon inspection, I too got that same black/grey residue from the bottom end. Could be a bad coil maybe? It seems like it is originating from the coil, as it looks gunky. Yuck. I will be looking into purchasing replacement coils/wicks, but until then, I have switched back to the ProTank.

You sound like you need to give it a good cleaning ,see if that helps.

Edited by Christie

I was not aware that the coil/wick could be cleaned. Would a 99% ISO wash be beneficial, or should i just rinse with a mild soap solution, and then water?

I just soak in vodka. :)

Yes they can be cleaned! I personally dont use the vodka method .I dont drink and neither does my husband I had a weird alcoholic upbringing and I just dont buy vodka but If tam says it works -I take her word for it shes smart like that :)

but I do use dish soap on mine and then douce it with some rubbing alcohol and rinse like your cleaning a crime scene lol

Also after you wash your wicks do you put them back in your machine wet and start vaping or let them dry

For the Pro Tank coils I soak in vodka, blot, then let them dry over night. With my HH.357 atomizer I soak, blot and vape until the alcohol's gone.

Perfect. Thank you for clearing that up. I do not drink, and prefer to not have any alcoholic beverages around, so i will just do a 99% ISO soak and leave out to dissipate. Happy Vaping! :D

Also after you wash your wicks do you put them back in your machine wet and start vaping or let them dry

oh I do ,I use a locking hemostat , remove the post grab the flavor wick with the hemos lock them then rinse it out with hot water , that helps loads for me -I get sick of flavors quick and clean out everything several times a day . but lately Ive had a few tanks going so I can just change the tank but if you are loving one tank like I was for a while you can do it that way

I was at the local Vape shop yesterday and they had some used coils soaking on vodka.Quick question for the pro tank owners,Do you remove the flavor wicks?
NO

quote name="Rcam1977" post="167686" timestamp="1378090013"]Also after you wash your wicks do you put them back in your machine wet and start vaping or let them dry

I always disassemble the coil assemblies completely. The flavor wicks get a warm water rinse and get put aside to dry. Like Christie I use hemostats to handle the wicks. Kind of an indispensable vape tool for me.

You can immediately reuse the flavor wicks if you wish. After a few hits the water in the flavor wicks is gone. I let mine dry because I have enough of them that I can afford to.