What cleaning products to use to get old analog cig smoke out of car?

i was wondering what is your go to cleaning products to rid of the old cigarette smell from your car? Upholstery, carpet, dash interior, windshield etc? Also if will add name of best products to rid home interior walls of the old tar nicotine? i may paint them ...... I am finding I can't take the smell of the smokes and just want to erase all trace evidence of my old way of life. he he he, So many questions... Anyone here know if ecigs leave behind any residue on auto windshields? I am guessing they do not. Any feedback is appreciated!! hope this is ok to put it polls, questions..thks :animier:

I used odo ban I get it froms sams club by the gallon.(its a concentrate ) Spray it on everything and dont be stingy with it lol .In your house , do the same I dont know for certain , because Ive never smoked in my house but my best friends husband is a painter and told me he does houses that people have smoked in and has to wipe down all the walls top to bottom with hot soapy water -then rinse, then kilz it (its a product named kilz) then he has to paint it usually 3 coats or it will bleed through . but you can use that odo ban on everything my family has a daycare and they use it everywhere And I ve worked in kennels for years and we use it there as well -it smells like baby powder .

I used vinegar on the windshield in my car like usual no problems then armoral on the dash-everything is good! oh -dont forget to spray the air intake in the car so your vents dont blow out cigarette smell its on the dash.

And the residue im not sure Id imagine it would eery so lightly just because Ive spilled it wiped it up and saw that it left a little residue in the towel when it dried .

good luck , and congrats on being a quitter ! feels good right?

I have ran auto dealerships for nearly 20 years now. We use an "ozone machine" to get the smell out of vehicles we trade for and buy at auction. It is surprisingly effective. Also there are companies that can do it for you with other methods. I have one guy here called "Got Stink?" that comes out and does some kind of treatment that can get out the worst of odors. He even treated a truck that a skunk sprayed in and after being sealed overnight, you could not even smell a faint odor of skunk in it. Pretty amazing. I dont know "how" to do it, but can assure you it can be done.

Agree on the ozone generator. I have one that I have used for many stinks. Had an old cat that couldn't hit the box, and ruined some carpet,after a good shampoo and dry, pulled the carpet and turned it upside down.locked up the dining room and started the generator after 2 days flipped the carpet and ran another 2 days...no more cat.....when I quit analogs I put it in the truck overnight.....no more stink!

@ Aquatroy don't you want to drive that generator truck on over to NC, ...I am close to some pretty beach areas.

Now I got some research and some trips to Lowes to check on all the above suggestions. I plan to start on this weekend. May have to post some before and after photos as a reminder not to pick up a real smoke again. Just used a paper towel and vinegar on windshield and oh so gross. yucky yuck. I will say my interior auto seats never got burned so should look new when I get them cleaned up and get stink out of them.

thanks to bcarter and also Christie for replies. Any others want to add to list please do.

• 3 weeks later...

I used odo ban I get it froms sams club by the gallon.(its a concentrate ) Spray it on everything and dont be stingy with it lol .In your house , do the same I dont know for certain , because Ive never smoked in my house but my best friends husband is a painter and told me he does houses that people have smoked in and has to wipe down all the walls top to bottom with hot soapy water -then rinse, then kilz it (its a product named kilz) then he has to paint it usually 3 coats or it will bleed through . but you can use that odo ban on everything my family has a daycare and they use it everywhere And I ve worked in kennels for years and we use it there as well -it smells like baby powder .

I used vinegar on the windshield in my car like usual no problems then armoral on the dash-everything is good! oh -dont forget to spray the air intake in the car so your vents dont blow out cigarette smell its on the dash.

And the residue im not sure Id imagine it would eery so lightly just because Ive spilled it wiped it up and saw that it left a little residue in the towel when it dried .

good luck , and congrats on being a quitter ! feels good right?

Just want to say one quick thing - never EVER paint your walls without washing. There's more there than you know, even when there isn't smoke in the house. Also, always prime - you need a barrier between the two colors of paint, at least, that's what my parents taught me. I'm not sure if going the killz route for primer is necessary, but you definitely need one or two primer coats before paint.

As for the residue on the windshield, all we found was the smoke that gets ON your windshield, and that washes off with whatever product you normally use.

Ozone machine as everyone else has recommended, but ALWAYS air out the vehicle after you use the ozone as it is NOT good for you to breath. The best window cleaner I ever found was Invisible Glass- Stoner detail solutions

• 2 weeks later...

The ozone machine is probably the best bet. It is what remdiation companies use (in conjunction with kilz on the walls) after your house has been damaged by fire.

The ventilation is very important after. Remember ozone (O3) can not be utilized by your body so it becomes a suffocation hazard.

I am lucky, even though i smoked in my vehicles they were both fairly new and i always rolled down the window when smoking and didn't use the ashtray (ya ya i know one of those inconsiderate people who littered with their analogs) so my vehicles naturally lost their smoke smell. (may help they have leather seats )

I dump cheap vodka and water into a used and now empty but scent lingers, fabreeze bottle. The alcohol whisks the water away, plus kills Smells. When the scent leaves the bottle, I add a touch of my cherry flavored vodka lol.

with my luck if i did that in my car Id be sure to get pulled over and have to do a field sobriety test lol Im clumsy and id fail for sure lol

i ended up using the odo ban, scrubbing and the kilz prior to painting- misspelled, I still have 2 other rooms in the house to paint but for most part a visitor would not know a smoker once lived here. The truck is a work in progress, but it smelling better too, except for the dog smell and all his hairs -

The house furniture was also cleaned and I even took it all outside to air out while I painted 2 off the rooms. Now knowing how much work I put into cleaning and painting --- it has also made me resist any urge to smoke cigs no matter how stressed life gets. Man that is some nasty looking stuff those old smokes leave behind hate to even see what my lungs look like -

i could sure use that vodka - a full bottle though - Uma.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

What worked for me was something I call "forget to keep tabs on blood sugar, pass out behind the wheel, and slam it in to a pole at 55+ mph". Worked like a charm, no trace of cig smoke. At the time, it was herbal cigarettes (substitute fkr tobacco, NOT weed), not tobacco, but this method would likely work for tobacco smoke. Very pricey process though!