A Story and a Question

Hi Jon here,

When I was about 16 in the 60's I worked at a small family owned grocery and had a regular customer who was in my 16 year old opinion an old rather dowdy housewife, with a gaggle of rather anonymous kids and a 9to5 insurance company husband. She bought 2 packs of Viceroys everyday along with other household goods.... fairly normal. When you work in a local shop that people visit every day in a small town, you tend to become somewhat of a confidant. So one day she came in, got the Viceroys, and told me that things weren't great with her home and husband, and she was going to California for a while to get her head together. Remember this WAS the 60's when life was a whole lot groovier :) Anyway I didn't think anymore of it till about 3 months later when I saw her walking across the car park and I readied her usual Viceroys lest she thought I forgot. When she came in I couldn't believe my eyes. This dowdy housewife had sparkling eyes, glowing healthy young looking skin, and the brightest smile! I was so taken aback! I just simply said, " you look absolutely beautiful"! (and this from a gay guy). She ended up telling me that she had quit smoking the day she left, and had taken up yoga and meditation and was working things out with her husband. I've never forgotten that image of how different and better she looked. In my young days I didn't consider other possibilities like maybe she got a face lift or something like that, I just thought it was not smoking that did it.. I've often thought about her when I was contemplating quitting smoking.

Now the question:

Has anyone else noticed this effect, or has anyone else noticed it in you? I guess it's hard to see subtle differences when you see someone every day, but that 3 months made a real impression on me.

Ok, maybe this memory is just the result of a flashback from a groovy past trip? At my age, my only expectations is that I can improve enough to just be arm candy for the likes of former Pope Benedict :)

I get comments all the time about how I no longer smell like an ash tray, but other than that I have aged well either way lol. I always say I am not sure what is a bigger burden; being this smart or this good looking (jk lol)

I would say she just had an attitude adjustment that agreed with her .But prolonged smoking has a similar effect as tanning beds on a persons appearance.

• 2 weeks later...

About 2 weeks after quitting smokes and vaping exclusively, my company's HR rep said that I had a bit more "color" to my face. I explained that I had quit smoking and the rep said that I had lost the "ashen" look to my face. So yes, stopping the intake of all those poisons does effect physical appearance in some.

I've noticed my complexion is a lot rosier/healthier looking since I quit smoking. I feel a lot more confident without makeup now.

Pic comparison (sorry for the lighting in the most recent one, I don't do sans makeup very often so it's the only recent one I have with none):

This was about 2 years ago. I vaped, but my go to was still analogues:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=CBEBBCF0A3A5EEA3!2753&authkey=!ADgJxmB9V3ynP84

This one was earlier this year. I've been smoke free for a little over a year to date:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=CBEBBCF0A3A5EEA3!1265&authkey=!AI2TG0qg1ytsoQg

I dunno, I don't see much of a difference, but maybe there's something I'm missing someone else can shed light on.

Sorry the links won't post right. The forum doesn't accept Skydrive for pictures.