I Thought I Would Feel So Much Better Than I Do

Okay, so I know that I having been off analogs for long (1 week actually) but I had this mistaken impression that I would feel so much better than I do. I actually FEEL worse. I am tired all the time, have turned into a royal ***** at work and am just all around crabby. I'm vaping a lot so it's not like I'm not getting the nicotine fix.

How long does it take to actually start to feel better...healthier? Do you ever get to that point where you notice a difference from not smoking. I'm about ready to just give it up.

Okay, so I know that I having been off analogs for long (1 week actually) but I had this mistaken impression that I would feel so much better than I do. I actually FEEL worse. I am tired all the time, have turned into a royal ***** at work and am just all around crabby. I'm vaping a lot so it's not like I'm not getting the nicotine fix.

How long does it take to actually start to feel better...healthier? Do you ever get to that point where you notice a difference from not smoking. I'm about ready to just give it up.

YES! It does get better. It gets so much better. There are many addictive chemicals in cigarettes other than nicotine--harmful, dangerous, insipid chemicals the cigarette companies don't talk about. Your body is flushing it out. But, in about a week or so, you'll notice that you can finally breathe, you'll have more energy, any coughing will cease, you'll no longer feel congested in the mornings, you'll sleep better.. and not long after that, you'll start to taste things.. even bread (if you eat bread) will begin to taste delicious. You can do this. And you are not alone.

You'll find, at least at first, that you will be vaping more than you smoked. This is natural. What nicotine strength are you vaping? And how much did you smoke before?

20-24. At first it was satisfying the cravings like I was really smoking and not missing it. The last couple of days It's been quite obvious that it isn't just like smoking! LOL - I'm sure I'll be fine after a couple of more weeks. After smoking for 34 years, 2 packs a day I have to expect some difficulty. If there was none everyone would quit right?

You are going through classic withdrawls. There are other chemicals in cigarettes that your body is addicted to other than nicotine that your body is craving. Thus the bitchiness and irritability.

It took several years for us to get in the shape we are in,it will take a while to undo it.Hang in there it will get better.You will soon get your sense of smell back and be aghast at how you use to smell to nonsmokers.

We have all been there to one degree or another. I felt like my head was stuffed with clouds for about 2 weeks, week 3 still a bit tired, but getting better.

For me, at least vaping took away the pacifier effect of smoking and curbed quite a bit of the craving....what was left was all the other crap leaving my system.

Honestly, I never thought I would quit smoking pack and 1/2 for 30 years....If I can do it, anybody can do it....and I really, really have very little willpower !

After smoking for so many years it's going to take more than one week before you start to feel better. Hang in there, Suzi! Your body's working through quite a few changes. While this is happening you're going to feel tired, cranky, sore all over, and generally just... not well. If you stick with this, it really does get better like everyone's said. I think we've all been where you are now and we all sympathize with you.

Took until my 3rd week to finally get past the loopiness, everyone is different, but for me my chest already quit hurting, I sleep soo well now being able to breath.

when I smoked a cig i I smoked the whole d*mn thing, no sitting in the ashtrays for me almost 2 pks a day for over 30 years and not being able to stop was killing me fast, literally.

for those times i seem a little edgy I up the nic level, i found changing the flavor helps as well. In the beginning what I thought I would like turned out to not do the job like I thought it would and now im still w bacco flavors but nothing like a marlboro light or parliament like I originally wanted.

then you need to factor in the equipment your using it may beat the urge but not satisfing the craving to just smoke a cig. there too once I found something to give me a choker hit i slowed way down (after gagging for 5 min lol) and had alot less urge to feel the real smoke, the feel of the hit is one of the most important parts of all this.

then theres the worst part, some of your physical symptoms are your mind playing tricks on you, trying to get that cig back between your fingers, why?

You said you smoked over 30 years, as I, I couldnt figure it out, the nic was under control, the feeling of smoking was there, but why did I start to get edgy at work or after a good meal and still want a real one?

Becuase its not just a mindless addiction, or chemical attachment, iits a part of you, what you do, who you are

it defined you, good times, bad times, breakups, new job, new house, parties, depression, sadness and triumph. that cigarette was always there, the friend who never judged, never faltered, never changed, and we made sure we went out of our way to get another.

now your simple trying to tell your brain and body "cant touch that anymore", and your gonna get cranky, hell most people cant throw away a pair of worn out jeans if they still feel good, why should we expect something we have done for 30 years to be any easier.

it can keep the addiction in check but some people have to mentally adjust to the fact that its working but its not completely the same thing.

i cant suggest anything for your health as i dont know the general condition your in. but drink lots of water(very important), rest if you feel you need it, and try to take a walk or something active to get you breathing again.

I found some juices, no matter what it says on the label just dont get it done like something the same strength from someone else does (different grades/quality of nic maybe? anyone?).

maybe change the equipment up a little, like stated that feeling/taste of the hit helps sooooo much.

good luck and dont give in without a fight. It's tough, you feel crappy at times but everyone is telling the truth, you WILL start to feel better, and dont feel guilty if you slip in a real smoke once in a while, not everyone does a complete switch at once, at first I didnt I smoked 2 or 3 a day then week 2-3 I couldnt stand the taste of real smokes anymore and went nuts with the vaping. 5 weeks in I still think about cigs but cant find any reason to go get one.

for me 5 weeks= 70 packs of cigs=$525 not spent on killing myself.

One more note of encouragement here. I can't add anything to the wonderful advice that's already been given here, but I will say that it does get better - every day. I was a smoker for 34 years, too. As of six days ago, I've been smoke free for 3 years - thanks to vaping and the Vapor Talk family.