The Double Derringer

Brandon

Perhaps not a good idea for my first mod, but I love to solder!

DoubleD1.jpg

Dual 510s (in parallel powered by one 14500 cell), for double the vaping pleasure but at a smooth 3.7V. Red LED indicates it's armed (switch is turned to "on" position) and blue LED to indicate the button is depressed and vaping is in progress.

DoubleD3.jpg

Honestly this was a heck of a lot easier than it should have been. I love soldering and playing with LEDs, so that part was very familiar. But overall I was pleased with how quickly it progressed. I worked inbetween times when the wifey was home (she's actually forbade me from making mods, so this was all done on the sly). The only difficult part was drilling the first hole. It turned out a little too large and crooked due to not using the proper drill bits. But besides that, it was very smooth. I started it yesterday evening and finished it this evening.

DoubleD4.jpg

The LEDs look a little strange b/c they're actually the larger 5mm high brightness LEDs with a dome top and a water clear acrylic shell. So I whipped out the dremel, ground the top down flat and short, and scuffed up the sides to help diffuse the light. A hack job there, but I have hundreds of them on hand so I couldn't justify buying more just for this.

DoubleD2.jpg

Lead-free silver solder (already had it), 20AWG milspec silver-coated teflon insulated hookup wire (already had it), red and blue LEDs (already had them), 510 battery connectors from Madvapes, large horn-style switch from madvapes, triple AA battery box (already had on hand, but I bought a few extra from Madvapes)and 2 part epoxy from Ace Hardware. Overall cost around $15.

The draw and vapor production is just what you'd expect: light and airy yet strong and full of vapor. I like it :) Just don't let those attys run dry or you get double the burnt taste.

Next time I'll have to work on the alignment of the dual attys. It's too easy to not get a good seal around both the carts, even though they're whistle tips.

Very fun project that didn't take very long and was very cheap. What more can you ask?

That is pretty slick.The DSE 901 carts work well with the 510's and have a thinner tip than the 510 whistle tips.I wish I would have started with AA boxes instead of AAA boxes it would have been a whole lot easier.I went with the AAA because I figured I had 10440 batteries in my passthroughs and I didn't want a lot of chargers and batteries around.Then I went and built the 18650 one and blew that.Keep up the good work and the pictures are great,I need a new camera.

Nice job Brandon. I Just finished making my first mod too. Showing it off in chat right now. Marblewood turned on the lathe. This could become a serious hobby LOL.

Thanks for the comments folks! It really was fun.

But now I need to read some more about DC Boost circuits :)

Mark, your wood mod looks fantastic sir. Thanks for showing it off in chat! Can't wait to see how it progresses through some of the changes you mentioned, and the way it locks together really struck me by surprise. Excellent!

That looks great, Brandon. How's that single 14500 holding up? Does it get hot? So two attys in parallel drops the circuit resistance, is that just like vaping at high voltage without the magnum attys but instead using regular 510s? How does two magnums work with that? I love the idea! I wanna see the inside!

So far the 14500 is holding up well. After a good long vaping session, i pulled the cover off quickly just to test the battery warmth. Wasn't even warm to the touch! Actually kind of surprised me.

Also surprisingly there wasn't much of a voltage depression under full load. Battery voltage was 4.19V no load. 3.89V under full load. Very surprising that there wasn't more of a depression than that. These 14500s really are impressing me. I think they're very versatile.

There's actually room in the box to put two 14500s in parallel, but you'd have to mount the attys on the side rather than the top. I tested that option before making my final decision, but it wasn't as comfortable holding it width-wise in my hand so I decided on length-wise.

The inside of the box is not near as pretty as the outside :) But I'll get some shots of it tomorrow. I'm going to keep testing it for a few more days, and provided everything continues to perform like it has been, I'll seal all possible short-circuit points in either silicon or more epoxy.

I haven't tested 2 magnums on it yet; I'm a little afraid to do that! One magnum is blowing me away right now, but 2..... wow. I suspect the PCB cutoff would kick in, but that's only a guess.

I am noticing a difference in flavor between the magnum atty and the 2 parallel normal 510s. The flavor difference is not consistent between different juices. Some taste great on the magnum, but others seem to lack what they used to have. It's interesting. The flavors taste normal on the 2 510s, but there's just a bit more of it and a whole lot more vapor.

Nice job Brandon. I Just finished making my first mod too. Showing it off in chat right now. Marblewood turned on the lathe. This could become a serious hobby LOL.

I wish I would have seen your post in time, I would have gone into chat to see it. Will you put up a pic for those of us who missed it in chat? Please. Pretty Please.

Thanks again for the comments folks, I appreciate it! :)

Yeah Nana I got real lucky to see Mark's new mod and even a demostration. Somehow I get the feeling that it was just a teaser and he has some big stuff planned. :showoff:

You stole my idea!!!!

Sweet! What's that saying about great minds? :punk:

Really it was just way too easy. What took the most time were the LEDs, since I had to mod them before even adding them into the project. Plus, wiring them with the resistors was a tad bit of a problem partially b/c I don't have a desk on which to mount my "helping hands" to hold it very steady.

But it's still working well. I used it earlier this morning in fact, but since I got some of those 'magnum atties' I've not used it very much.

Sweet! What's that saying about great minds? :punk:

Really it was just way too easy. What took the most time were the LEDs, since I had to mod them before even adding them into the project. Plus, wiring them with the resistors was a tad bit of a problem partially b/c I don't have a desk on which to mount my "helping hands" to hold it very steady.

But it's still working well. I used it earlier this morning in fact, but since I got some of those 'magnum atties' I've not used it very much.

I'm glad to see you have a working model. I've had several similar ones in the back of my mind. I'll get to it eventually; I don't have as much free time as I did last winter. I was thinking mabey make a custom cart that V's into one. Or a double-barrel shotgun. I'll be sure to show pics when I get around to building such a thing. ---nice job Brandon!

I was thinking mabey make a custom cart that V's into one

I was breaking my brain trying to figure out some way to do that before I even started making the mod. Honestly I never came up with anything definitive, though some of the PVC and vinyl tubing at Lowes caught my eye. I've seen folks make their own drip tips made from some of the rigid reinforced PVC tubing, and they've seemed happy with them. And I suppose you could use 2 of those, that are branched together in a "T" fitting. But I never really looked into it enough.

Ever since I got the magnum atty and the VP passthrough, I haven't thought about it much more. If I get some time next week, I'll take a 510 down to Lowes and see what I can come up with. Will post any other ideas or successes here.

Would love to hear yours too.

Thanks again for the comments folks, I appreciate it! :)

Yeah Nana I got real lucky to see Mark's new mod and even a demostration. Somehow I get the feeling that it was just a teaser and he has some big stuff planned. :showoff:

I am truly jealous, Brandon. And about that feeling you got...knowing Mark, you are absolutely, positively correct in thinking it was a teaser.

• 2 months later...

i'm sure you could find some flexible hose that would fit over an atomizer, and a Y fitting to combine both attys into one mouthpiece. It would definitely be something worth checking out.

might have to experiment with this idea myself on my next mod