First Cloud Vape

dbreezy423

Pardon me for not searching. I have no idea about what I'm asking so it's even harder to try to decide where to put this or what to type I if I wanted to search. I'm hoping I can be pointed in the right direction.

I first bought a Vape about 2 years ago, it was a small pen type Vape with an ego battery of I recall correctly. It thoroughly sucked and I was still smoking cigs, so I upgrade to an mvp with the iclear 30. Didn't like the tank because there was just not enough vapor for me to feel like it was a replacement for cigs. I bought a svoemesto clone tank and built a subohm coil to use on the mvp and it produced a modest cloud, but the Vape was very dry and gave me cotton mouth and I ended up selling it and smoking analog for the past 2 years.

My wife has been on my tail about it and I've been wanting to quit, so after a day with no cigs and wanting to murder everyone I crossed paths with, my wife took me to the Vape store and bought me an Endura T18. I love it, and have hardly smoked a cig since. I dont really want one so it's working. That being said, while the T18 produces a cloud consistent with a cig, and the flavor is decent, I want more.

I want something with maximum flavor and a huge cloud. The mvp sucked and wasn't reliable, and thru research I know it isn't a subohm cloud chasing mod really. The guy at the Vape store recommended a Smok Alien and said that's a good starting point for getting into the cloud chasing mods. What would you guys recommend? I'd like something that I don't have to build coils for, doesn't leak, and works when I need it to work. It would also help it it looks cool. I'm looking for something in the $100 dollar area, but would go higher if need be. What would the more experienced vapers suggest?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

This is definitely a good place to ask your questions.  Just be prepared for a variety of different answers/suggestions.

Before I give you my answer/suggestion/recommendation I will give my disclaimer: Sub-ohm vaping and blowing big clouds is an different technique than you might be used to.  With your original setup and what you have now you are probably a MTL (Mouth To Lung) vaper, similar to taking a drag from a cigarette.  Most sub-ohm vapers and big clouds, for the most part, require DTL (Direct To Lung) inhaling; you actually inhale as you suck in vapor.  It takes a bit of getting used to and it is quite possible your gag reflex will kick in, but it is something that you can easily get used to if that is the direction you want to go.  You may or may not like it and everybody is different.

Now, on to the answer/recommendation.  I don't have a SMOK Alien, but a friend does and she loves it.  I've played around with it and I am seriously considering getting one for myself (because apparently 8 regulated mods just aren't enough).  If you can get the SMOK Alien Kit, all that much better.  The tank that comes with that kit is the TFV8 Baby Beast and that is a top notch tank in my opinion.  I own two Baby Beasts and have at least one in my rotation every day.  If I had a third thumb and could give three thumbs up, I would.  Since I don't and I can't, then it gets a hearty two thumbs up.  Awesome flavor, awesome cloud production.  It comes with two different coils that are as different as night and day even though the ohm rating is similar (might even be the same).  I have my preference in the coils, but I recommend trying out both if that is the direction you go.  Also, if that is the direction you decide to go, shop around.  Online prices range anywhere from about $50 to almost $70 for the kit.  Make sure to include shipping and any taxes when you calculate the expenses.  I don't think the VT store has that particular kit, but @Christopher might be able to get them in.  In any event, it's a good kit and if you shop frugally you will be able to get the kit for well under your $100 price point and still be able to get batteries, a charger and possibly some extra coils.

I also encourage you to research as many different mods as you can, wait for other recommendations from other members around here and definitely continue to ask questions on the forums.  It's always a good idea to hit up the online community to gain a wider perspective than simply going on the advice of someone working at a vape shop.  In your case, yes, the employee made a good recommendation.  But there is always the possibility the person behind the counter may be under direction to push a certain item.  The online vaping community won't steer you wrong because most of us are just normal people with regular jobs not in the vaping industry.  If we like something, we'll tell you.  If we don't, we'll tell you.

This is definitely a good place to ask your questions.  Just be prepared for a variety of different answers/suggestions.
Before I give you my answer/suggestion/recommendation I will give my disclaimer: Sub-ohm vaping and blowing big clouds is an different technique than you might be used to.  With your original setup and what you have now you are probably a MTL (Mouth To Lung) vaper, similar to taking a drag from a cigarette.  Most sub-ohm vapers and big clouds, for the most part, require DTL (Direct To Lung) inhaling; you actually inhale as you suck in vapor.  It takes a bit of getting used to and it is quite possible your gag reflex will kick in, but it is something that you can easily get used to if that is the direction you want to go.  You may or may not like it and everybody is different.
Now, on to the answer/recommendation.  I don't have a SMOK Alien, but a friend does and she loves it.  I've played around with it and I am seriously considering getting one for myself (because apparently 8 regulated mods just aren't enough).  If you can get the SMOK Alien Kit, all that much better.  The tank that comes with that kit is the TFV8 Baby Beast and that is a top notch tank in my opinion.  I own two Baby Beasts and have at least one in my rotation every day.  If I had a third thumb and could give three thumbs up, I would.  Since I don't and I can't, then it gets a hearty two thumbs up.  Awesome flavor, awesome cloud production.  It comes with two different coils that are as different as night and day even though the ohm rating is similar (might even be the same).  I have my preference in the coils, but I recommend trying out both if that is the direction you go.  Also, if that is the direction you decide to go, shop around.  Online prices range anywhere from about $50 to almost $70 for the kit.  Make sure to include shipping and any taxes when you calculate the expenses.  I don't think the VT store has that particular kit, but @Christopher might be able to get them in.  In any event, it's a good kit and if you shop frugally you will be able to get the kit for well under your $100 price point and still be able to get batteries, a charger and possibly some extra coils.
I also encourage you to research as many different mods as you can, wait for other recommendations from other members around here and definitely continue to ask questions on the forums.  It's always a good idea to hit up the online community to gain a wider perspective than simply going on the advice of someone working at a vape shop.  In your case, yes, the employee made a good recommendation.  But there is always the possibility the person behind the counter may be under direction to push a certain item.  The online vaping community won't steer you wrong because most of us are just normal people with regular jobs not in the vaping industry.  If we like something, we'll tell you.  If we don't, we'll tell you.

Awesome. My freind owns a
vape store in Atl. He said he could get it to me for 80. I could probrably get it cheaper but id like to support his business. Is 53 for 4 efest Batts and a lcd charger about the best deal I'm going to find?

Just now, dbreezy423 said:

Awesome. My freind owns a
vape store in Atl. He said he could get it to me for 80. I could probrably get it cheaper but id like to support his business. Is 53 for 4 efest Batts and a lcd charger about the best deal I'm going to find?

It really depends on which charger, but I (and several others around here) would recommend against efest batteries.  There is a guy named John Muchow (goes by Mooch online) who has thoroughly tested and reviewed virtually every 18650 battery on the market.  In fact, his actual job revolves around testing batteries, so he has access to equipment to accurately (and safely) test batteries and his opinions are very trusted in the vaping community.  Personally I would go with any four of the following; LG HE4, LG HG2, Samsung 25R, Samsung 30Q, Sony VTC4 or Sony VTC5.  The efests are okay batteries, but the benchmark tests of those I just mentioned tested better.  That is one area where I definitely don't listen to the vape shop guys (most of them seem to love either efest or mxjo batteries, but I have personally had better luck with the LG and Samsung batteries I use.  Efest chargers, though, are good to go in my opinion and the opinions of many others.

All that being said, yes, $53ish sounds about right for four batteries and a charger.

And kudos to you for supporting your friends business.  I never hold that against anybody.  In fact, while I get most of my stuff online, I'm a huge proponent for supporting local B&M's, especially if someone at that B&M has taken time to show you some equipment and explain various things.

@Adversarious1 has some great suggestions for battery brands. I will add a caveat: while Sony VTC4 and VTC5 batteries are most excellent, you need to be very careful of these to make sure you're getting the real VTC4 and VTC5. There are many rewrapped batteries that are sold as genuine but are not, rather, they're inferior and can be potentially dangerous if used with sub-ohm coils. If you know you're getting the real thing, these batteries are awesome!

Also, I'd recommend Nitecore chargers. I have both the 4-bay and 2-bay Nitecore intellichargers and they're good workhorses.

If you're looking for more clouds, keep an eye on your PG and VG levels in the juice you use. More VG or max VG will give you bigger, denser clouds. PG is the flavor carrier. A good balance is 70VG/30PG, this blend will give satisfying clouds while also giving you flavor without muting it too much. Also, if you're using premade coils, too high a VG level can also give you dry hits if you're chain vaping or don't have enough airflow.

Edited by Tam

All of Adversarious' advice is top notch.

I just want to add in one little point since you are a new vaper.  You're going to have to work out your nicotine levels if you really want to quit smoking.  It's not just aabout the clouds.  You have to work out how much of your dissatisfaction may be coming from improper (for you) nicotine levels in your juice.  That's up to you.

Alk the best

10 minutes ago, Bebop said:

I just want to add in one little point since you are a new vaper.  You're going to have to work out your nicotine levels if you really want to quit smoking.  It's not just aabout the clouds.  You have to work out how much of your dissatisfaction may be coming from improper (for you) nicotine levels in your juice.  That's up to you.

Alk the best

I totally meant to mention that in my disclaimer about the differences between MTL and DTL.  Thank You @Bebopfor mentioning it.  

The lower the ohm level, the lower you are going to want to take your nic levels.  I started at 18mg nic and 1.5 to 1.8 ohm coils.  I quickly dropped to 12mg nic when I found I didn't need as much.  Before I dropped to sub-ohm levels (below 1 ohm) I did a lot of research.  A very basic rule of thumb is to cut your nic level in half when you go below 1 ohm.  That is definitely a good place to start, but I ended up going even lower.  Very rarely do I vape anything with 6mg nic.  Most of my vaping is 0-3mg nicotine nowadays.  

14 hours ago, Adversarious1 said:

I totally meant to mention that in my disclaimer about the differences between MTL and DTL.  Thank You @Bebopfor mentioning it.  

The lower the ohm level, the lower you are going to want to take your nic levels.  I started at 18mg nic and 1.5 to 1.8 ohm coils.  I quickly dropped to 12mg nic when I found I didn't need as much.  Before I dropped to sub-ohm levels (below 1 ohm) I did a lot of research.  A very basic rule of thumb is to cut your nic level in half when you go below 1 ohm.  That is definitely a good place to start, but I ended up going even lower.  Very rarely do I vape anything with 6mg nic.  Most of my vaping is 0-3mg nicotine nowadays.  

Cutting by half is a good start when you go to sub-ohm vaping, but I've found it is more linear than that... if you want to maintain the same Nicotine "feel" as you get from the higher Ohm coil.

For example... if you are using a 1.5 Ohm coil and 12mg Nicotine... and want to drop to say a 0.5 Ohm coil... you're dropping by 67% in resistance, so you should drop at least 67% in Nicotine strength too... to say 4mg (or 3mg if you are buying commercial brands that offer strengths in 3mg increments). 

Personally, I use 6 or 9mg at 1.2 Ohm... an when I (occasionally) use a 0.5 Ohm coil (59% reduction), I also drop my Nicotine by the same (or more) ratio... so that puts me vaping 2-4 mg strengths at 0.5 Ohms.