reusing coils

Leighanne

ok so i need your idea of proper priming of my coils bc ive gotten three different ways told to me and im still having issues. I have a joyetech ego aio starter and i use .5 coils. First they told me to use three drops, quickly learned that was wrong, then i called another location and they said 8 drops, thats what i do put it all together with a full tank let it sit for five to ten minutes then take a couple pulls without pressing the button and sometimes it works perfectly sometimes it doesnt. i did that with an entire pack of coils and they instantly tasted burnt, now theyre telling me i over saturated the coil and should only use fivr drops i dont need to wait or take pulls without firing. my head is spinning. Please give me some real insight

13 hours ago, Tam said:

Sure. Rinse in warm to hot water, soak for a bit in alcohol like vodka or Everclear (don't use rubbing alcohol), then let dry overnight before using again.

Tam, why not the rubbing alcohol? That's all I have ever used because I never have drinking alcohol in the house.

Everyone has a different way of priming a coil, lately when I change a coil I don't prime it at all, I just fill the tank with juice and let it sit for at least a 1/2 hour or so, but I have numerous tanks so I can do that. Another thing is you can cover the air holes with your fingers when you draw on it without firing it, and that will help pull juice into the coil. If you over prime a coil it will not burn the coil, flooded coils gurgle and spit a lot, but usually clear up in a few minutes.

Anywhere from 3 - 8 drops is fine. (make sure you hold coil at angle so you are not just dripping juice past the coil).   Just make sure you let it soak in for a couple of minutes. Then blow out excess juice thru coil.  Then install coil and fill tank and you should be good to go. 

This is assuming you are priming coil down the centre of coil as well as wicking holes in side of coil. 

Using this method you should be able to vape right away. 

If you are having "burnt" problems your juice may be too thick for that coil.  

how can three drops be enough? i wasnt putting drops into wicking holes theres only two small slits on bottom of coil i should put two drops in those as well. And the angle thing am i kind of rolling it around at an angle or just tilting in one direction and priming? thanks oh and its not thick juice. thanks to the post above i appreciate your input too

32 minutes ago, Leighanne said:

how can three drops be enough? i wasnt putting drops into wicking holes theres only two small slits on bottom of coil i should put two drops in those as well. And the angle thing am i kind of rolling it around at an angle or just tilting in one direction and priming? thanks oh and its not thick juice. thanks to the post above i appreciate your input too

Yeah.  3 may not be enough.  It depends on how good a primer you are haha.  Definitely prime the main entrance points of juice - slots, holes, whatever.  Rolling coil around is good.

There are all kinds and sizes of coils.  Some will require more than others. The main thing is to prime them up, then assemble them and let them sit for a minute or two before vaping.

And btw, i tend to ramp up the voltage from lower and then to my usual setting on a new coil while they break in - usually no less than sevaral powered draws before ramping them up to "cruise". That's just me.

3 hours ago, Patricia said:

Tam, why not the rubbing alcohol? That's all I have ever used because I never have drinking alcohol in the house.

Rubbing alcohol is not drinkable or safe if you take it internally.  It is also known to be poisonous if inhaled (ask veterinarians who use to use it as a "gaseous anesthetic" 50+ years ago).  It also has "other" ingredients which leave residue on the coils, even after the Isopropyl Alcohol evaporates away.  91% is better than 50% because it is more alcohol and less "other" stuff in it, but with more alcohol, it is more toxic until fully evaporated (which can take days to fully evaporate from some wick materials).

Ethanol is safe to drink (Vodka, Everclear, moonshine, etc.) and even if it isn't fully evaporated, it is safe to inhale.  When buying 100-proof Vodka, you're getting 50% Ethanol and 50% water :)

8 hours ago, Patricia said:

Earthling gave a more thorough explanation than I could have. I would get a couple of the tiny one shot type of bottles of vodka to use for this purpose only if you don't want larger amounts. Then, you can put it into a glass jar with a lid so you have a handy receptacle to plop your coils into for a quick bath.   :) 

9 hours ago, Leighanne said:

ok so i need your idea of proper priming of my coils bc ive gotten three different ways told to me and im still having issues. I have a joyetech ego aio starter and i use .5 coils. First they told me to use three drops, quickly learned that was wrong, then i called another location and they said 8 drops, thats what i do put it all together with a full tank let it sit for five to ten minutes then take a couple pulls without pressing the button and sometimes it works perfectly sometimes it doesnt. i did that with an entire pack of coils and they instantly tasted burnt, now theyre telling me i over saturated the coil and should only use fivr drops i dont need to wait or take pulls without firing. my head is spinning. Please give me some real insight

If you can see the wicking material, then I would go with a few drops, look to see if the material looks saturated. If not, add a couple more drops. Repeat until it's nice and wet but not overly dripping. Otherwise, I'd add about 3 - 5 drops, fill up the tank and put it back together and let it sit for 10 - 15 minutes or more to let the wick get thoroughly saturated.

Take a few dry, unpowered draws before hitting the power and see how that does. Each device/tank will have its own idiocycrasies so you'll want to do a little experimenting to see what works best for you and your tank.