When unscrewing the base to refill the tank, you need to make sure that you're gripping the airflow control base with one hand and the lower metal tank base (the one that is closest to the bottom of the glass section) with the other hand. Otherwise, you stand the chance of disassembling the tank section (like what happened in your case) as you would if you were cleaning the tank. Hope this helps.:)

subtanknano2-500x500.jpg

It should come apart like this when refilling.

image_01.jpg

Here's the exploded view of the Nano's individual parts. Notice how the Top Piece's stem threads into the Glass Base Piece's bracket to hold the Glass slugly in-between.

By the way, make sure to have both (red) gaskets in place or you won't get a good seal and your tank will leak e liquid.

Edited by Rixter

If thats all the parts you have you seem to be missing a few

I'm pretty sure that the top piece is shown standing upright on the stem (I don't believe said stem is removable...I could be wrong:question:) and the missing (from view) O-ring may still be inside the top piece. Replacement O-rings are readily available online, though (in a variety of colors).

I'm pretty sure that the top piece is shown standing upright on the stem (I don't believe said stem is removable...I could be wrong:question:) and the missing (from view) O-ring may still be inside the top piece. Replacement O-rings are readily available online, though (in a variety of colors).

If the stem was in the top part shouldnt it be standing a lot higher than the coil in the pic?

If the stem was in the top part shouldnt it be standing a lot higher than the coil in the pic?

Other than it's shadow (which seems to support my previous statement), how can you be certain of how tall something is in a two-dimensional pic?

Other than it's shadow (which seems to support my previous statement), how can you be certain of how tall something is in a two-dimensional pic?

Im not certain :) it just looks that way too me  wouldnt the stem and the bottom piece of it  cast a shadow if it was there :)

Edited by cany

If I'm not mistaken, those are parts from a Subtank Mini...not a Nano. Their parts are not interchangeable.

Could you post one more pic of the Nano's top cap placed upside down or on its side? That way we can see if the air stem is still attached to the top piece and if the top O-ring is still in place.

You can not determine size by a photo with out something to measure it against. What I see is the center post is missing.... I would come to the conclusion that your son may have tried to refill it, and lost the center tube and didn't notice. When he set it all together it may have stayed together for a bit, but yes just would fall apart.

Check the top cap for threads. If there are no threads it is pressure fit and you will need a new tank. even if you find the center tube it may not ever be the same and may leak.

Yeah i see two parts missing (or one broken) the center stem and the top cap is missing the "cage" (or it's broken off) hard to see in the pic.

Oh wait I see it now. Yeah just looks like the center stem is missing (i dont think it's a separate part, right?) 

Ok never mind. The stem screws in both ends. 

Missing the stem

Never mind me.  Late to the party as usual...

I see a subtank Nano, but I also see  RBA for a mini. I don't see the yoke on the base that the stem threads into and I don't see the stem.

The yolk is there (Rixter pointed it out to me) look closely at the coil the stem if defiantly missing without it the tank will never stay together

the nano stem is a press fit ... my nano stem fell out when I dropped the tank ... tried to tap it back in but unsuccessful ... even if you do tap it back in, it needs to be completely vertical for the threads to line up ... I suppose you could use a vise to press it back in but it would have to be completely straight ... threaded ends on the stem would be better but that means threading the base as well ... extra mfg cost = extra consumer cost ... I won't drop mine again ... cheers :)