Breathing problems

Hi,
I have been vaping for 3-4 months and have been using the same liquids for all this time but now have suddenly started getting breathing problems. I just cant get a full deep breath, its really uncomfortable and is quite worrying to be honest. This is immediately after taking puffs of my vape and will go away entirely about an hour of not vaping. I havent changed my PG/VG ratio (60/40) or my nicotine strength (6mg) at all, and the same flavours that i used to be able to chain vape all day are now causing this. Im using an Aspire Triton tank with a 30w mod. Could i have suddenly developed a intolerance to PG or VG? And if so, any ideas which one it would be? 
So i was just wondering, has anyone else had anything like this? And if so, how and what did you change? 

Super annoyed with this, dont want to fall back onto cigarettes and i have just ordered a new mod :') 

Welcome to VT Josh!

What device (tank/battery) were you using before?

This is an odd issue, but I think it may be due to the fact you're using a sub-ohm tank, possibly at high Watts, and the higher PG ratio isn't helping either.  Try dialing your Wattage down, using a bit less airflow, and possibly moving from a sub-ohm coil to a 1.2 Ohm or similar?  Changing brands of juice, flavors, and/or nicotine levels to 3mg or less may also help if you are going to use the sub-ohm coil.  6mg at sub-ohm levels is equivalent to 18mg (or more) at "normal" coil resistances ... 1.8 -2.2 Ohm because the body absorbs the Nicotine MUCH faster and at a higher-rate when it is as heat increases... and sub-ohming really heats the juice!

Along with what Earthling said, I would also chime in with a, "how much power are you using? What wattage/voltage do you have your battery set at?" With the Triton, are you using factory coils? If so, what's the resistance of the coil you have in the tank? If you're not using factory coils but got the separate RBA deck, what resistance did you build your coil at?

If I were you, I would flip your ratios around so you have 40 PG/60 VG at the very least. That's what I was using on my Triton at 3 mg with a factory coil of 1.8 ohm coil, airflow halfway open and 12.4 watts.

Take into consideration that you're only into vaping 3 - 4 months. Your body is still undergoing significant changes (healing) from getting away from cigarettes and all its thousands of carcinogens. Have you been coughing up stuff? If you're not already, start increasing your liquid intake -- more specifically, your water intake. Not coffee or tea (those are diuretics) or soda or juice... just plain water. Vaping dehydrates you so the more water you drink, the better you will feel as it will also flush out toxins from the cigarettes.  :)

Edited by Tam

Hi all, 

Thank you for your replies! 

I have been using factory coils (1.8ohms) and vaping at 12 watts. Been hydrating a lot and have taken my nicotine level down to 3mg but unfortunately the breathing issue hasnt got any better. I have ordered 20/80 PG/VG liquids that ill be collecting on monday so im hoping that will resolve this issue, or atleast give me some kind of indication if its the PG or VG that is bothering me. :) If not, it might be as you said Tam, related to the healing process from coming of cigarettes. I havent been coughing up much the past 3 weeks or so, but previous i was alot yeah.  Its only really been a month since by last cig, previous to that was vaping and cigs together. 

Edited by JoshCyprus

There are vapers who have reported shortness of breath or describe their lungs feeling full (reduced lung capacity).This is associated with VG use. It may be possible you have developed sensitivity to it, using more juice than you normally do, or using higher VG content.

I experience it sometimes when I vape more than my normal consumption but goes away within a couple of days after cutting back 

Yes it could be i have caught a cold, really hoping its that or in result of quitting analogs as its getting quite frustrating not being able to vape comfortably and i don't have any intention to stop vaping. If this issue gets worse with the high VG liquids on monday ill know its the VG rather than the PG and then can start experimenting with high PG :) 

Will keep you all updated with how it goes ^.^ 

Or... it could be your juice. Not just the PG/VG levels, but it might be worth trying a different company. There are some juices that I can't vape no matter what the ratio from certain companies. It's weird, I know, but something you might want to consider.

Welcome to VT Josh!

What device (tank/battery) were you using before?

This is an odd issue, but I think it may be due to the fact you're using a sub-ohm tank, possibly at high Watts, and the higher PG ratio isn't helping either.  Try dialing your Wattage down, using a bit less airflow, and possibly moving from a sub-ohm coil to a 1.2 Ohm or similar?  Changing brands of juice, flavors, and/or nicotine levels to 3mg or less may also help if you are going to use the sub-ohm coil.  6mg at sub-ohm levels is equivalent to 18mg (or more) at "normal" coil resistances ... 1.8 -2.2 Ohm because the body absorbs the Nicotine MUCH faster and at a higher-rate when it is as heat increases... and sub-ohming really heats the juice!

Well, seems I found an answer to a question I haven't asked....... yet.  Recently stepped up from an eGo/EVOD 1.8 single coil setup using 18 nic to an eleaf 20 topped with a Nautilus running a 1.6 dual coil with the air control ring set wide open. Juice is 20p/80v with 18 nic.  I've also picked up the habit of vapeing on my equipment a lot while driving, which means I've pretty much burned up a 20ml bottle since Monday.  Had an idea, but wasn't positive what was making me feel a bit odd till I read the above.  Went back to The ego/evod setup with an occasional hit on the nautilus with the volts and watts set to the lowest till I can work up some lower nic juice.  

Well, seems I found an answer to a question I haven't asked....... yet.  Recently stepped up from an eGo/EVOD 1.8 single coil setup using 18 nic to an eleaf 20 topped with a Nautilus running a 1.6 dual coil with the air control ring set wide open. Juice is 20p/80v with 18 nic.  I've also picked up the habit of vapeing on my equipment a lot while driving, which means I've pretty much burned up a 20ml bottle since Monday.  Had an idea, but wasn't positive what was making me feel a bit odd till I read the above.  Went back to The ego/evod setup with an occasional hit on the nautilus with the volts and watts set to the lowest till I can work up some lower nic juice.  

You might want to keep in mind that the Eleaf iStick 20W is well known for not giving accurate readings on power in wattage mode, it runs hotter than what it says. Your best bet is to set it to use voltage instead of wattage for a more accurate reading. Just my two cents.  :)

Hi all, 

Picked up an unflavored 80/15/5   VG/PG/NIC+H20 

Vaped around 5ml so far and nothing major has changed so far, the breathing issue arose as soon as i started vaping. I even put on a new coil to make sure there wasnt any left over high PG. 

Only small change is that instead of it taking an hour for my breathing to get back to normal itll be around 15mins before i start getting the odd successful deep breath and around 30-45 minutes till i can breathe perfectly normally again.  So would it be safe to say that im not allergic or intolerant to VG as i would imagine i would have had a very bad reaction if so at 80%? Do you think that it could be that 15% of PG that is causing this problem? Or do you think that it could still be the build up of old PG in my system that gets flared up when i vape? Or, could it be totally unrelated and be a smoking cessation issue that flares up when i vape? Totally lost now. 

It could be something in the flavoring in the juice.  The next thing would be to look at flavors as Tam has stated. Most juices could be up to 35% flavoring.  It could be the brand of favors used, the type of flavor etc.  you might try vaping pg/vg only and see if you get a reaction.  Or you could try different flavors sand see if that does anything. 

Hi all, 

Picked up an unflavored 80/15/5   VG/PG/NIC+H20 

Vaped around 5ml so far and nothing major has changed so far, the breathing issue arose as soon as i started vaping. I even put on a new coil to make sure there wasnt any left over high PG. 

Only small change is that instead of it taking an hour for my breathing to get back to normal itll be around 15mins before i start getting the odd successful deep breath and around 30-45 minutes till i can breathe perfectly normally again.  So would it be safe to say that im not allergic or intolerant to VG as i would imagine i would have had a very bad reaction if so at 80%? Do you think that it could be that 15% of PG that is causing this problem? Or do you think that it could still be the build up of old PG in my system that gets flared up when i vape? Or, could it be totally unrelated and be a smoking cessation issue that flares up when i vape? Totally lost now. 

Considering you are now vaping unflavored, switched your PG/VG ratio, and vape around 14W, it could really be anything which is the  nature of vaping. The body keeps changing after quitting analogs and ejuice preferences change accordingly. It really is trial and error...and process of elimination.

What happens when you go back to your previous set-up... not chain vape (reference to your OP)? Same results?
FWIW, there is an improvement. Whereas before it takes you an hour to recover, it now only takes 15 minutes. I wish I could help more but your guess is just as good as mine.

If you experience pesistent shortness of breath despite playing with wattage, equipment, juice ratio, I highly recommend seeking a medical advise. Not able to breathe for a few minutes to an hour or so is not something to take lightly. But since vaping is what triggers it, the doctor probably would automaticcaly recommend you to stop vaping (temporarily), or cut down drastically.

You said, in an earlier post, that you're using a Triton with a factory coil (1.8ohms) and vaping at 12 watts. I'm using a 1.8 ohm coil with a juice that likes heat but I'm finding that 9.7 watts is more than enough. Any higher and I get cotton mouth and a harsher vape. Maybe you could lower the watts you're using to see if that helps? I would start at around 7 watts, vape. If it's not producing the flavor and vapor you like, turn it up a couple of notches. Vape. Continue that until you get the first hint of harsh vape or a slight burnt taste, then turn it down a notch. That should be the sweet spot for your juice.

Hi all, thank you for all your replies.

I have pretty much got it all sorted now. Ive put it down to a combinantion of three factors, the effects of quitting smoking, humidity and high pg. 

Im living in a country that gets very humid, up to 90% humidity some days! On a really humid day even 80vg/20pg will give me mild problems, where as on a lower humidity day ill be able to handle 60vg/40pg with out too much of a problem.

100vg has been close to my cure, i think within a few more weeks and once all the analog toxins have left my body ill be back to normal :) 

Oh, and found mango was one flavour that didnt agree with me. Thank you for all of your help! 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...