This Weekend I Helped Out a New Vaper

So I was at my local vape shop trying out some new juices as I get a bug to do this now and again. They have a nice bar set up and you meet some friendly people there. The staff is very knowledgeable and friendly (rare for a B&M, I know). Anyway, it's fun to hang there now and again.

anyway, guy sits down and it was interesting, brand new to vaping. Been smoking for years and years, and this guy has all the questions. I end up spending half an hour with him talking gear and liquids and ecig news. It was fascinating. Real noobies are still out there. This guy (I would say mid 40s) was just real interested in vaping and desperate to quit smoking. He had all the problems noobs have with nice levels and throat hit and vapor production.  He had concerns about all the stuff he's heard about how vaping is just as bad as smoking. But something compelled him to come in that day. I straightened him out, got him all dialed in on a couple flavors, gave him some tips, told him my recommendations on some gear. Another girl there picking up some juice chimed in with some good suggestions. The guy was quite happy and didn't bat an eye dropping a couple large bills on counter and walking away quite pleased. He was so grateful and thankful. Geezuz, I practically cried when he was thanking me because it was so heartfelt and genuine.  We made another vaper that day. 

Sometimes I get so used to the routine of vaping, I forget there are other people out there who know next to nothing and are desperately trying to get the monkey off their back on smoking. It's brand new to them and you can feel the raw emotion of them struggling with their addiction.  I really hope the government and the nanny contingent don't kill vaping as we know it.  I don't see a guy like this making it on cig-a-likes. Smoking is a real addiction, and probably more insidious than heroin, because it's legal and "accepted" and you are still functional but it's no less tormenting to the addict.  

Kudos to you, Bebop. That guy was so lucky you were in the store this weekend.

Helping someone new to vaping get on the right path is so affirming and worth the extra time and effort, especially when they really want to quit but don't know how to get started. That was me when I saw my co-worker with an e-cigarette. Thankfully, my B&M only sells genuine equipment and the owner was so helpful, that I got off to a good start right out of the gate. Not everyone has that so it's wonderful you were there to help out. You may very well have had a hand in changing his life.  :)

Smoking is a real addiction, and probably more insidious than heroin, because it's legal and "accepted" and you are still functional but it's no less tormenting to the addict.  

Good job!  It really feels good to help someone who really needs and wants help!

Years ago I was in Narcotics Anonymous (I know I am not being anonymous) my sponsor was a 20+ year heroin addict.  He went thorugh many different rehabs, programs, etc.  He said in his opinion heroin was much easier (mentally) to quit.