E-Liquid Burns

Hey all!

I'm new here on the forum but I wanted to post something really quick. I've been vaping for about 6 months now and I'm noticing that certain liquids that I used to vape with I can't do now. I'm curious as to why this is. I'm using a KangerTech KBOX Mini (just bought the starter kit so its stock) I used to use the Innokin SVD and the Innokin Cool Fire 1. I use the vapor state e-liquid. I know these are going to sounds like obvious and stupid questions but I'm kinda new to this and I just want to make sure that I'm actually vaping correctly and I really qould like to learn more about this. I have switched on and off with it to quit smoking and it helps when my throat doesn't burn. I have already checked the coil for burning and even with a brand new coil it does the same thing. So here are my questions: Does the type of flavor cause the burning. What mg nicotine should I be using because I read that a high nicotine level will cause the burning. What are some juices  you recommend? What wattage and ohms should I be set at? Thanks in advance and sorry for the n00b questions!

What PG/VG ratio are you using?

What mg Nic are you using?

These are the two biggest factors in the burning or what is referred to as Throat Hit. High PG can cause a burning and mixed with a high mg nic can make it worse with some of the new lower ohm setups. I know you are new and asking what you think are dumb questions is the best way to learn. :)

Hello X3fyr and welcome to Vapor Talk.

This is my personal opinion, (I'm admittedly biased), but I would say by coming here for answers you are on the right track.

Ehhh...nevermind. Comp beat me to the questions I was going to ask <_<

^^ This ^^

If you're using the 0.5 Ohm coil, 12mg nicotine may be high.  When I vape below 1 Ohm, I always go to 6mg or lower in my nicotine... the lower the resistance, the lower the nicotine level should be.  Low Ohm coils are hotter, and nicotine absorbs faster into the body with higher heat, and it also will irritate the throat/mouth/lungs when hot (at high concentrations)... so this could be what you are experiencing?

Try a 6mg or even a 3mg nicotine level, and I think you'll find it better.  OR, switch to the 1.2 Ohm coil, and the 12mg may be more tolerable?

You can try the lower nic level as Earthling suggested (either buy a new bottle in 3 or 6mg nic, or you can get a 0mg then mix it with the 12mg to cut the nic level).  

What wattage are you set to while you're vaping?  That is going to be another factor.  A lower wattage may help with the burning sensation.

Along with each person's personal preferences, different equipment behaves differently.  You can run the exact same juice at the exact same wattage in three different tanks with 0.5 ohm coils and get a very different vaping experience with each one based on the settings of the mod you are using.

Im using the 0.5 coil in my subox mini 50/50 6nic juice And Im getting some burning with it if I switch to a 30/70 2 nic juice its much better I only use the 6nic when I need a nic fix and I run lower Watts 20/under when I use it

Hey all!

I'm new here on the forum but I wanted to post something really quick. I've been vaping for about 6 months now and I'm noticing that certain liquids that I used to vape with I can't do now. I'm curious as to why this is. I'm using a KangerTech KBOX Mini (just bought the starter kit so its stock) I used to use the Innokin SVD and the Innokin Cool Fire 1. I use the vapor state e-liquid. I know these are going to sounds like obvious and stupid questions but I'm kinda new to this and I just want to make sure that I'm actually vaping correctly and I really qould like to learn more about this. I have switched on and off with it to quit smoking and it helps when my throat doesn't burn. I have already checked the coil for burning and even with a brand new coil it does the same thing. So here are my questions: Does the type of flavor cause the burning. What mg nicotine should I be using because I read that a high nicotine level will cause the burning. What are some juices  you recommend? What wattage and ohms should I be set at? Thanks in advance and sorry for the n00b questions!

When you say burn, do you mean it's burning your throat/harsh throat hit, or the juice is burning?  And what, exactly, do you mean by you can't vape them now?  For different people, it means different things.

When you say burn, do you mean it's burning your throat/harsh throat hit, or the juice is burning?  And what, exactly, do you mean by you can't vape them now?  For different people, it means different things.

I mean that the that I cant inhale them, it burns and makes me cough really bad. I used to be able to vape them but now I can't.

Im using the 0.5 coil in my subox mini 50/50 6nic juice And Im getting some burning with it if I switch to a 30/70 2 nic juice its much better I only use the 6nic when I need a nic fix and I run lower Watts 20/under when I use it

I normally stay at 20 watts. Should I be up higher than that. The coil is rated for 60 and its a 50 watt vape.

Everyone has given you advice about adjusting the settings and lowering the nicotine content. There could be another issue going on.

When you first stop smoking you spend time searching for a flavor that works and matches what your body is wanting with throat hit etc. Your throat could be telling you it is time to switch up flavors. I pretty much vaped the same flavor for the first 6 months and then was ready to move on to something else. You might want to try a new flavor, one that isn't so harsh.

What flavor are you vaping now? You mentioned a brand but not the flavor.

Just throwing this out there.

Edited by BirdDog

I normally stay at 20 watts. Should I be up higher than that. The coil is rated for 60 and its a 50 watt vape.

Whether you go higher or lower is entirely up to you.  I normally vape a .5 ohm coil somewhere in the neighborhood of 27-30 watts depending on what liquid I'm vaping and which tank I'm using, but that is the general area of my personal sweet spot.

If the liquid is burning and making you cough even at 20 watts, I would start looking at the liquid (perhaps flavor or nic content of the flavor) as the cause and not the power.

Everyone has given you advice about adjusting the settings and lowering the nicotine content. There could be another issue going on.

When you first stop smoking you spend time searching for a flavor that works and matches what your body is wanting with throat hit etc. Your throat could be telling you it is time to switch up flavors. I pretty much vaped the same flavor for the first 6 months and then was ready to move on to something else. You might want to try a new flavor, one that isn't so harsh.

What flavor are you vaping now? You mentioned a brand but not the flavor.

Just throwing this out there.

I'm vaping Vapor State Blue Melon and Strawberry mixed. They are both the same pg/vg and nic level. After reading all of this I think its time to find a new flavor with a different pg/vg level. I really appreciate everyone's input! Thank you! B)

I'm vaping Vapor State Blue Melon and Strawberry mixed. They are both the same pg/vg and nic level. After reading all of this I think its time to find a new flavor with a different pg/vg level. I really appreciate everyone's input! Thank you! B)

Trying a new flavor won't hurt your current situation. The flavor you mentioned sounds pretty tame. But I am suspecting a bit of menthol in there. Just a guess, a little mint kick usually helps the fruit flavors. Good luck! Welcome to the forum.

That's what I thought..is the power is to high the e-liquid changes colour, that is how you know you're burning the liquid, with some e-liquids it actually taste better if you burned a bit..with others it taste horrible. I actually burn my sweet e-liquids a bit..just to give it that caramel kick.

That's what I thought..is the power is to high the e-liquid changes colour, that is how you know you're burning the liquid, with some e-liquids it actually taste better if you burned a bit..with others it taste horrible. I actually burn my sweet e-liquids a bit..just to give it that caramel kick.

Interesting concept.  I have never intentionally burned liquids, but there is one flavor I vape that I will intentionally let "age" for a day or two in the heat of my garage because it tastes better to me after spending some time in 120+ degrees than it does when left in a room at about 76 degrees.  It doesn't change the color or have any effect on throat hit (or nicotine hit from what I have been able to tell), but it does kick the flavor up just notch.

Interesting concept.  I have never intentionally burned liquids, but there is one flavor I vape that I will intentionally let "age" for a day or two in the heat of my garage because it tastes better to me after spending some time in 120+ degrees than it does when left in a room at about 76 degrees.  It doesn't change the color or have any effect on throat hit (or nicotine hit from what I have been able to tell), but it does kick the flavor up just notch.

I assuming that you talking about dripping..without the tank you can't see the e-liquid changing colour, but with a clear tank you can see it.

I assuming that you talking about dripping..without the tank you can't see the e-liquid changing colour, but with a clear tank you can see it.

Nope, I'm talking about tanks.  The only tank I have where I ever run into liquids changing color is my Lemo.  When I start seeing the liquid change color, that tells me it's time to re-wick, re-coil or both.  I have never had a single liquid I was vaping change color in any of my other tanks, but I also vape with the airflow wide open and I tend to prefer my vapes on the cooler side so that might contribute to the liquids not changing color on me.

I have found that the smaller tanks always keep the flavor fresher than using a larger tank. The downside is more frequent filling. I guess that is why I am not ready to give up the EVOD glass tanks just yet. Just my observations and preference.

I have found that the smaller tanks always keep the flavor fresher than using a larger tank. The downside is more frequent filling. I guess that is why I am not ready to give up the EVOD glass tanks just yet. Just my observations and preference.

I still debating between the two, I like the smaller tanks because I can change flavours more frequently, and like you said they are more consistent with the flavour... but the bigger tanks give you a better kick and is easier to play around with the power settings...I think I like both for different reasons..." personally ".

I still debating between the two, I like the smaller tanks because I can change flavours more frequently, and like you said they are more consistent with the flavour... but the bigger tanks give you a better kick and is easier to play around with the power settings...I think I like both for different reasons..." personally ".

Really? I torture the crap out of the small tanks. They take it just fine.

I torture my smaller KPT3 mini tanks too...  Where I have problems is the larger tanks, especially sub-ohm tanks that are larger.  Those tanks that are 5ml, 7ml, or larger hold more juice, yes, but that means juice gets "cooked" by the heating of the coil, slowly, over and over and over, and if you refill before it's empty, you're compounding the problem, so eventually, the last 2ml or even the whole tank of juice tastes nasty.  I've found my happy-medium to be the 2.5ml KPT/AeroTanks and my 4ml Russians, and I'll vape those tanks to almost the last drop to prevent refilling over baked juices.

Bingo ;) Everyone has different preferences. I'm the same way in many respects...smaller tanks with tighter airflow for flavor, larger tanks with more airflow for when I simply don't have the ability to refill, and dripping for a combination of flavor, clouds and that extra "kick". Just my personal preferences 😊