Temp control, necessity or gimmick?

So everyone manufacturer seems to be pushing temp control.  The term is a little misleading.  As I understand it you have to use Nickle wire and cotton.  The premise is that at the moment you start to dry out and the cotton exceeds the combustible limit when running it shuts off your Mod.  Is this really necessary? To me it sounds like the safety on a sidearm.  My finger is the safety.  It's a simple concept to let go of the button when you get a dry hit.

Temp control sounds cool and then there is also 'temp control' that shuts your Mod off when the Box itself exceeds a 'safe' threshold not to be confused with temperature control of the tank/RDA coil. I purchased a Hana DNA40 yesterday. It came with Nickle wire, at 16 wraps I metered out at 0.16 Ohms.  That is way to freakin low for me, 2 coils would have been 0.08 and I'm not building that low.  Kanger has subohm Nickle heads but personally I just don't see the point.

I had the same  argument with myself regarding TC and coils builds that low as I never built conventional  coils below .4 ohms. After trying my friend's mod several times, I decided that I liked it. I stuck with pre-built NI200 coils until I felt comfortable building my own using NI200. 

Is it a gimmick? They work as advertised. Whether it is a necessity is another matter.

If you are already in a market for new mod, maybe finding one with TC that fits all your criteria may not be such a bad thing, if you decide that route later on... it is one less gear to buy. For vapers who are truly 100% satisfied with their vaping experience and gear, then I do not think it is necessary. :)

If you are already in a market for new mod, maybe finding one with TC that fits all your criteria may not be such a bad thing, if you decide that route later on... it is one less gear to buy. For vapers who are truly 100% satisfied with their vaping experience and gear, then I do not think it is necessary. :)

​I specifically went with the IPV4 for that reason.  I wanted to try TC on both tanks and RDA's but also be able to use conventional kanthal coils if I chose to do so.  I'm still not 100% sold on the prebuilt nickel coils for TC (Kanger NI200 coils in the subtank mini - but it may be the specific juice) but TC with Ti coils I have built on a couple of RDA's have produced both outstanding flavor and outstanding vapor.

Personal I think TC is more than just a gimmick, but it isn't a necessity either.  Just like everything else in the vaping world, each person will have their own preferences and own style.  What works for me and what I like may or may not be what works for someone else.

Is it a gimmick? They work as advertised. Whether it is a necessity is another matter.

​I never said it didn't work as advertised otherwise I would have named the thread "Temp control, necessity or lie".  A gimmick isn't a lie it's something stated to separate your product regardless of its real world usefulness.  Back in the 70's you used to see advertisements for "made with space age polymers", were they? Yes, was it relevant? Usually not, did it make people by it, absolutely.

I have a Hana DNA40 with temp control.  The owner at my favorite vape shop told me not to buy it for the temp control and I didn't. I have always wanted an authentic Hana and he had them on sale. I tried it with Nickel wire, wasn't a game changer for me, back to Kanthal and Nichrome.  Right now I'm hard pressed to find a better experience (flavor wise) no matter what Mod I'm using other than my modded Aqua V2, running Kanthal.  I have even changed a few minds when people try it using the exact same eliquid.

Apparently if a person applies themselves and really makes an effort you can injure yourself with an ecig. I guess I just don't have the stick to itivness cause in over 7 years I haven't got a scratch. But like anything else a company with something to lose has to cover their posteriors .

Gimmick? No, it does give you an amount of control that you don't have with a conventional vv/vw mod.

Necessity? No, I would not say the quality of vape has increased significantly, especially with nickel wire (hard to work with) and the small number of RBA's that can accommodate a coil large enough achieve the proper resistance.  I really miss my Tiger Wire builds in my SubTank Mini...

Once I learned to get mine set up correctly and how to set it, I really enjoy the fact that the vape is so consistent from the beginning of the tank, until it is dry.  The coils seem to be lasting much longer for me too.  I will probably not be making any mod purchases in the near future that do not have the feature.

​I never said it didn't work as advertised otherwise I would have named the thread "Temp control, necessity or lie".  A gimmick isn't a lie it's something stated to separate your product regardless of its real world usefulness.  Back in the 70's you used to see advertisements for "made with space age polymers", were they? Yes, was it relevant? Usually not, did it make people by it, absolutely.

I have a Hana DNA40 with temp control.  The owner at my favorite vape shop told me not to buy it for the temp control and I didn't. I have always wanted an authentic Hana and he had them on sale. I tried it with Nickel wire, wasn't a game changer for me, back to Kanthal and Nichrome.  Right now I'm hard pressed to find a better experience (flavor wise) no matter what Mod I'm using other than my modded Aqua V2, running Kanthal.  I have even changed a few minds when people try it using the exact same eliquid.

I hear you, man. :) There are some juices that taste way better with kanthal and I have 3 juice that taste better with NI200. That is the beauty of having a mod that can do both. I can pop in whatever coil that is best suited for the juice I made or bought. :thumbup:
However, I have made and bought some juice that is just downright horriible in either build... in whatever topper I use...  but that's on me. :lol:
BTW, I love the Aqua V2. It is on my rotation.

I can tell absolutely zero difference in the taste of my juices between using Nichrome, Kanthal, and Nickel coils. I've heard vapers say that they can tell the difference, but I'd love to see the results of a blind taste test between the three. I think that different builds contribute to variances in taste, but I really don't see how the composition of the coil wire has anything to do with the taste of the juice. Of course, that's just my opinion...I'm fine with all three. If there's some fact as to how this could be so, I'm all ears.

I can tell absolutely zero difference in the taste of my juices between using Nichrome, Kanthal, and Nickel coils. I've heard vapers say that they can tell the difference, but I'd love to see the results of a blind taste test between the three. I think that different builds contribute to variances in taste, but I really don't see how the composition of the coil wire has anything to do with the taste of the juice. Of course, that's just my opinion...I'm fine with all three. If there's some fact as to how this could be so, I'm all ears.

​When I fist started using the factory Ni200 SubTank Mini coils, it tasted different.  I was going from the RBA with a kanthal Tiger Wire coil to a standard spaced nickel coil.  It was quite a bit different.  I used it for a few days, and wasn't really happy, then all of the sudden it changed.  I don't know what changed, possibly the coil broke in, or I learned to get my settings where they need to be, but now I have one of the best flavors that I have achieved with a stock coil.

Now if I can just figure out how to stuff a twisted non-contact .1 ohm coil in the RBA, I will be happy!  5 or 6 attempts this weekend, and I gave up.  It is always touching something somewhere!

I love the Aqua V2. It is on my rotation.

​The vape shop bought it from drilled three more air holes and widened the deck shafts, really chucks the cloud!

Edited by Mplough

​...Now if I can just figure out how to stuff a twisted non-contact .1 ohm coil in the RBA, I will be happy!  5 or 6 attempts this weekend, and I gave up.  It is always touching something somewhere!

​That's the biggest problem I've encountered...while RDAs would benefit from TC the most, because of the ultra low resistance of Ni200, it's almost impossible to squeeze a dual coil nickel setup into one. It might not be so tough in a 26650-sized RBA, though.

I have not coiled a RDA yet.  I just wish my Lemo 2 had more airflow and better connections. The 2 peice base throws my ohms off, and the tight airflow isn't my favorite.  It does have a huge build deck though.  I really hope someone comes up with a good single coil, high airflow RTA soon. It may be out there, I just have not found it.

Well, i don't think TC is a gimmick at all. It works, there's less fuss with resistances and power settings, the vapor and flavor are there. The coils are cleaner. In my opinion TC is here to stay and will probably only become more useful. The vape is great and consistent.  

Im pretty sure the wire itself has nothing to do with flavor.  I hope not anyway, lol.  

In the other TC discussion I mentioned that flavor profile and settings may be more highly dependent with flavor nuances rather than coil type.  Then again, the same applies to non-tc mods. lol I guess I associate tc mods with nickel builds too much, and only mentioned it on this thread. haha

Is it placebo effect? Maybe
Conditioned that some of us find certain flavors taste diffently (better for others) with non-tc mods since we have used it far longer than TC? Perhaps. 

I am curious with iJoy  Asolo and their claim that it does tc function with kanthal.  I, too, think that TC is here to stay.