MVP won't charge

Comp's suggestion to try another AC/DC adapter and cable are spot-on. I've had mine about 9-months, and it did not want to charge once... I tried another charger (from my old cell-phone) and a fresh cable... charges fine now. Turns out that the charger I was using was on it's last leg... and the "pretty" (but cheap multi-port cable supplied with the MVP) probably wasn't helping matters either.

Man, you two are up and at 'em early this morning! :sleeping::coffee:

When I first read this post I wondered if it might be the cable and/or AC adapter or both. Hopefully, that's what's wrong with this one and not the battery itself. :)

When you plug it into the charger, do you get a green or red light around the fire-button? Also, when you plug it in, does it cycle through the red/yellow/green lights?

If it cycles through the lights, then remains red, that is a fault code (apparently), which means the unit is dead :(

The green light shows up around the fire button. Also it does seem to cycle thru the colors. I can't remember right now- does the green light stay on throughout the charge or does the green light come on when it's completely charged? Paul

Normal charging operation is no cycling of the lights when you plug it in, and the green light stays on throughout the charging cycle. Once it is charged, the green light should go off... usually between 4 and 6 hours, depending on the charge-level and input mAh of the charger used.

I just tried mine and the lights cycle through and then whatever light (based on charge status of the battery) will come on steady. It should go from red to yellow to green as the battery continues to charge, eventually turning off when it's completely charged.

Tea, good to hear...

Fish, I just checked mine... no cycling through the lights, BUT, the power was ON when I plugged it in. I tried it again with the power OFF, and yes, the lights cycled (because it has to power on, in order to charge). When my battery is charging, I only see the green light.... have never seen red or yellow during charge, even if I've depleted the battery. Strange....

As far as what Comp said about the wall wart and the cable, I second that it's spot on. Literally, in the space of two weeks, I went through TWO USB cables - the cable my Nexus had been fraying where it bends right above where you plug the cable into the tablet, and then when I started using ANOTHER USB cable - formerly a cell phone charging cable - it was evidently having the same problem even though the outer covering of the wire wasn't broken, it was getting wonky internally. Had the same thing happen with the USB cable that came with my external phone battery/charger almost immediately. But now everything is working fine. The MVP charger is currently only used for the short distance between my USB port on my PC and the external battery/charger, what is SUPPOSED to be the cable for Galaxy 4 is charging my tablet (only because of cord length) and my SO (who taught me never throw anything tech related away, you might need it again) unearthed another USB cable, and rather than using THAT for my tablet, because the cord is so short, it's charging my phone, since my phone can sit on top of the desk near the power strip, and the tablet goes on my desk surface (one of those old computer hutch desks).

To whomever said 4 - 6 hours to charge the MVP? There's no way if you are using the recommended maH charger or higher. I was using a charger with the recommended maH, and if I charged shortly after the light turned red, or even until it stopped working because of low voltage, it took an hour and half, maybe two hours to completely charge. Just about comparable to how long it takes to charge an 18650, maybe a bit longer.

To whomever said 4 - 6 hours to charge the MVP? There's no way if you are using the recommended maH charger or higher. I was using a charger with the recommended maH, and if I charged shortly after the light turned red, or even until it stopped working because of low voltage, it took an hour and half, maybe two hours to completely charge. Just about comparable to how long it takes to charge an 18650, maybe a bit longer.

Yes, you can charge it with a higher mAh wall charger, but this is straight from Innokin:

This product is intended for use with the charger

provided with the unit. We recommend you always use
a high quality 5V 500mA USB wall charger (CE/UL
Certified). Use of unauthorized chargers may lead to
overheating and possible burning of items in contact
with the unit. Innokin Technology is not responsible for
battery and charger explosions, fires or malfunctions
due to the use of a low-quality charger. This product

does not come included with any wall charger

Using a 500 mAh charger will generally take ~ 3 hours to fully charge the MVP (from fully depleted). Using the USB port on your PC, provides a maximum 500 mAh charge rate, but typically only provides an average of 350-400 mAh (depending on load on your PC's power supply, your PC could actually DRAIN the battery during peak-load-times), thus extending the charge-time to 4 hours, or longer. A great majority of people will charge devices which come with ONLY a USB cable strictly via PC USB port, which is why I gave the 4-6 hour estimate. Using the appropriate wall-wart charger, will shorten that time to 3-hours.

Charging via a higher mAh rated wall-wart will speed the process, but depending on the charging circuit of the MVP, it may not allow it to reach more than 70-80% charge (by stopping the charge-cycle after reaching Stage-1), thus reducing the run-time between charges (but this may increase the life-span of the battery). Furthermore, if the circuitry does not stop charging at Stage-1, or quell the charge-cycle properly to Stage-2 by reducing the current, the battery may overheat, become stress-damaged (shortening the life-span), or possibly experience catastrophic failure.

Here's some more info on Li-ion battery charging, courtesy of Cadex:

The charge rate of a typical consumer Li-ion battery is between 0.5 and 1C in Stage 1, and the charge time is about three hours. Manufacturers recommend charging the 18650 cell at 0.8C or less. Charge efficiency is 97 to 99 percent and the cell remains cool during charge. Some Li-ion packs may experience a temperature rise of about 5ºC (9ºF) when reaching full charge. This could be due to the protection circuit and/or elevated internal resistance. Full charge occurs when the battery reaches the voltage threshold and the current drops to three percent of the rated current. A battery is also considered fully charged if the current levels off and cannot go down further. Elevated self-discharge might be the cause of this condition.

Increasing the charge current does not hasten the full-charge state by much. Although the battery reaches the voltage peak quicker with a fast charge, the saturation charge will take longer accordingly. The amount of charge current applied simply alters the time required for each stage; Stage 1 will be shorter but the saturation Stage 2 will take longer. A high current charge will, however, quickly fill the battery to about 70 percent.

Li-ion does not need to be fully charged, as is the case with lead acid, nor is it desirable to do so. In fact, it is better not to fully charge, because high voltages stresses the battery. Choosing a lower voltage threshold, or eliminating the saturation charge altogether, prolongs battery life but this reduces the runtime. Since the consumer market promotes maximum runtime, these chargers go for maximum capacity rather than extended service life.

Some lower-cost consumer chargers may use the simplified “charge-and-run” method that charges a lithium-ion battery in one hour or less without going to the Stage 2 saturation charge. “Ready” appears when the battery reaches the voltage threshold at Stage 1. Since the state-of-charge (SoC) at this point is only about 85 percent, the user may complain of short runtime, not knowing that the charger is to blame. Many warranty batteries are being replaced for this reason, and this phenomenon is especially common in the cellular industry.

• 9 months later...