Always Test Your parts

kngfdrgn

So I know this kind of thing gets said a whole lot around here but I figured I'd give an example. For those of you looking to build your own mods use quality parts and don't trust that the manufacturers specs are correct.

I have a test box I built out of a plastic cigarette case specifically for test firing different parts.

IMAG0096_zps0342a2a4.jpg

I bought what was supposed to be a 40 amp switch and test fired it last night. Things didn't go as well as I hoped but it did give me an opportunity to hopefully teach people something.

This is what can happen when you use faulty or cheap parts.

IMAG0093_zps7def0898.jpg

It melted all the casings on the wires and the switch smoked. That was using a 15 amp battery pressing the switch maybe 2 or 3 seconds. Now imagine what would have happened if I had used that switch in my mod with the 35 amp battery I wanted to.

That's why I have the test box. All I have to do is pop the lid up and no more battery connection. You never know with this stuff and even when it's from a quality vendor you can still get a dud.

In my case I suspect that they either used cheap materials that melted or soldered the connections with low quality solder.

Either way I'm glad I tested it. If that had happened inside my metal box I'm building it would have ended badly. all in all I'd rather have a workshop that smells like burnt plastic than end up in the er

Exactly. it wouldn't have mattered if I bought the highest rated most expensive part I could find, I still would have put it on the test box first.

And good stuff can still come bad. Had it happen to me - my first Zmax - V3. Loved the damn thing, but the button trouble popped up, and the place that I got it from agreed that it needed to be replaced, after I had to explain to them that no, it didn't just happen when the battery was low, they finally tested it and were able to replicate the problem, but they no longer carried it. Did some research, and the button problem was sort of frequent, but since I got it at a REALLY good price from Discount Vapers, I couldn't find any other site that had it for what I got back. So I moved on. Now after close to a year and a half, I'm back to a Zmax V5. :) But yeah, sometimes, good stuff just comes, essentially, DOA, or flawed for whatever reason. That's why there are return policies. :)

I've dealt with electronics from all over the world... from cheap Chinese no-name parts to high-end Japanese, US, or European parts, and one thing is constant... you do get a bad part from time to time.

kngfdrgn is correct... most companies batch-test only a handful of parts per machine, per shift, daily... probably ~ 0.1% of the total production of any given part.

That's why from a safety perspective I feel like we should be teaching newbies to test parts before using them. It's really not hard to build a test box or safety cage. I had a buddy loose use of an eye for a little while a few years ago from a faulty capacitor that exploded.

In quite a few of the hackerspace communities I'm a part of they have guides to setting up test benches and what safety precautions you should take with which parts.