New member looking for a place to start...

JonnyKansas

Hello!

My name is Jon. I'm 29 & have smoked tobacco cigarettes for 10 years or so.

I've recently started using rechargeable & throw away ecigs as a supplement & am considering making the switch officially. I've smoked a couple Blu disposables & am now using a vuse rechargeable unit (got coupons for a free unit & free carts & night anther couple carts after determining that it's not so bad).

However, I'm thinking that, if I'm going to value in the long run, I should probably up my game a bit.

I've done some searches, one of which had led me here, but if anyone has suggestions as to a decent, inexpensive starter kit (looking at a budget around $40 given the results of my research) and/or any advice for a beginner/someone coming from tobacco use, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I'm looking at an ego spinner or twist street kit now, but don't want to waste my money, get discouraged, & by a pack of smokes after having decided I was quitting. It's still a little up in the air, but I've only had one analog today (read the thread on terminology. Thanks for that!), but the vuse is on the charger now, so I may be back or in the garage before long.

Thanks in advance for any input & I look guard to learning from this community!

My wife works at a convenience store and the Camel rep was giving out free Vuse to the employees. She gave it to me to try. I found it disgusting. It tasted like burnt rubber mixed with burnt electronics. The Menthol one tasted like Vicks vapor rub. He was passing out coupons to customers to get one for $0.99. Some took them most said they hated it for the reasons I did or that it broke in their pocket. IMO RJR made a very inferior product and they taste horrid. As far as disposables, I would recommend a Blu or N-Joy any day over that Vuse.

Go with a Twist or Spinner and a KPT Mini or Nautilus mini and some quality E-Liquid you will not regret it.

Welcome to V|T :)

My wife works at a convenience store and the Camel rep was giving out free Vuse to the employees. She gave it to me to try. I found it disgusting. It tasted like burnt rubber mixed with burnt electronics. The Menthol one tasted like Vicks vapor rub. He was passing out coupons to customers to get one for $0.99. Some took them most said they hated it for the reasons I did or that it broke in their pocket. IMO RJR made a very inferior product and they taste horrid. As far as disposables, I would recommend a Blu or N-Joy any day over that Vuse.

Go with a Twist or Spinner and a KPT Mini or Nautilus mini and some quality E-Liquid you will not regret it.

Welcome to V|T :)

Thanks for the advice. I actually like the taste of the vuse over the blu. It's more sweet, I think.

In any case, I'm more concerned with upping my game, as I said, so I'm glad to see in on the right track with the spinner or twist.

Welcome to VT!

You're already on your way, and I'd recommend buying what is considered as "upgraded" equipment... it will cost a few bucks more, but you'll get much longer and much more satisfying use out of it...

Buy a couple of Spinners or Twists... 1300mAh at the minimum... they'll last all day that way. At the very least, buy a couple of eGo-T 1100mAh or 1300mAh batteries.

Buy at least two (to start with) clearomizers of your choice... EVOD, EVOD2, Kanger ProTank 2 or 3, or the mini versions... Aspire Nautilus (or mini), Kanger AeroTank (or mini)... You'll be much happier with a better tank, and Pyrex rules over plastic if you vape anything with cinnamon, mint, citrus, or menthol (tank crackers).

As for the taste of Camel lights... there are several of the Turkish blends out there, and IIRC, Seattle Vapor has a good one... and the Exotic Tobacco flavor from the Vapor Talk Store is quite good, too... If you're a half-pack a day smoker, I'd recommend 18mg Nicotine levels for starters... you may find 12mg does the trick, but most people find higher is a good place to start for really quitting analogs.

I'm not even opposed to experimenting with different flavors by any means. Just figure I've gone most of the day today smoking the vuse, so I figure a regular tobacco flavor is a good place to start.

I'll likely pick up some other flavor while I'm shopping just for kicks.

Most people coming off analogs go with the tobacco flavors. I did when I started Vaping 5 years ago. I still vape tobacco flavors to this day from time to time. As you get off analogs your taste will change a lot so it is good that you want to try other flavors. :) Just make sure you drink lots of water as you move into vaping it will dehydrate you.

The water also helps your body rid itself of the toxins from analogs as well.

I may have got a bad cart with mine. But I think more so that I have had much much better. Yes you are on the right track with that upgrade. :)

It's hard to pick up a cigalike once you have had good juice on a quality device. The cigalike tasted like crap several months into vaping after good ejuice.

I started on cigalikes when that was all there was. That is why I say that once you have had better you realize how bad that disposable was. Although I have tried the N-Joy and it was not bad at all for flavor. What turned me off was it only lasted a couple hours and the battery was dead.

Ha! Jason beat me to putting up the link to the post I made with all the links on it. I need to put that into its own post for easier reference but haven't yet.

Read through the thread. There's a lot of good advice from our knowledgeable and friendly members.

Welcome to Vapor Talk. :)

Thank you all for the advice & links to more advice.

For starting purposes, I'm going with a Vision Spinner VV eGo 1300mAh, a Mini Kanger Protank 3, an eGo rapid USB charger, and some tobacco e-liquid. Is there any piece I'm missing?

I'll definitely be investing in more gear in time, but want to make sure I've got one of each part to begin with.

Edited by JonnyKansas

You'll want at least two batteries, and a couple of tanks... the initial expense is about the cost of a carton or smokes, so you'll not really feel the hit too hard :) Two batteries, two tanks, and a 5-pack of coils will keep you vaping for a month or two (not counting juice)... and you'll find within the first month of vaping, suddenly there is extra cash in your pocket :)

Buy what you can, when you can... just remember... a tank costs a few bucks today, but lasts forever (with proper care)... and coils are cheap compared to packs of smokes and lighters :)

Money is always tight when you start out... Seriously though, a couple of batteries and tanks can be purchased for what you'd spend on one or two cartons of smokes, depending on where you live.... (and they'll last far longer than a week or two). Two of each (battery/tank) are mostly a necessity, though... since you have a hard time vaping while your battery is charging (if you only have one), and most people have more than one flavor, so it makes sense to have a tank for each flavor, or at the very least, a spare in case you break one, or one malfunctions.

If you don't buy anything more right now, you really need to get more coils. Usually, a stock coil will last around a couple of weeks but you never know when they'll go out and if your only back up coil will work and/or last long enough to get more.

We're a broken record around here about back ups. And back ups of back ups. We can't emphasize that enough. :)

I spent about what I'd spend for a carton for the one of each, charger, & liquid.

I buy by the pack, so that's a bigger one-time purchase than I'd usually make smoking, but your points are all valid. I ordered online, but I'm going to see if any of the smoke shops in town sell vapes. I'm pretty sure at least one or two do. If so, I'll take more money from my trip fund, as I'd be buying smokes on the trip as well anyway, and purchase local while I wait for the ones I ordered to be shipped.

If you don't buy anything more right now, you really need to get more coils. Usually, a stock coil will last around a couple of weeks but you never know when they'll go out and if your only back up coil will work and/or last long enough to get more.

We're a broken record around here about back ups. And back ups of back ups. We can't emphasize that enough. :)

I went back & ordered 2 5 packs of single coils. Went mid on the ohms, since I don't get the difference other than lower=hotter. Went for singles because there were only the lowest ohm ones in Stock for double.