Trying to learn

My kpt2 mini came with a replacement head and I already ordered 5 more, so I figured, what's the harm in trying to learn cleaning & dry burning? Well, I did the dry burn, but now everything tastes burnt! I figured I screwed up somewhere. So I put onthe replacement head I had on hand, and it also tastes burnt! I haven't done anything to it to make it taste that way. I'm confused. What could be up? I put on my iclear 16D and it works fine. My tank is also leaking on the kpt 2 mini every since I took it apart. I'm just so confused. Lol

If you put the replacement coil into the same juice that you had with the burnt coil, it is very possible the burnt taste transferred to the juice. Dump the old juice, clean the tank with a vodka soaked q-tip and let dry... then try again. A little burnt taste will be there at first because the old juice is still in the new coil wicks, but it will vape out after a few hits (or you can vodka soak the coil too, but it will take a few hours to soak, and a day for it to dry).

Leaking is typical after dis-assembly if you don't ensure the o-rings are straight and in good shape. One at the top and bottom of the tank section, one at the base, and one at the coil. When you put them together, you just want to go to "very snug", not "jelly-jar tight" or you can damage the o-rings or deform them, causing a leak :). One thing I've done with great success is to "lube" the top and bottom of the glass tank with a q-tip with a drop of juice (or even water). It will keep the dry glass from grabbing the dry o-ring and ripping it or twisting it out of the pocket. Been there, done that, and the t-shirts aren't that nice :)

Edited by Earthling789

The kpt has silicone gaskets on either side of the glass housings. Make sure they are there.

Make sure your coil is seated properly

Give juice time to wick before firing a new coil

Also clean all parts thoroughly after burning. Residuals can remain.

In approaching 2 years I have yet to dry burn a coil. Just doesnt make sense to me as cheap as replacement coils are. I would much rather spend .95cents every couple weeks than mess with all that. Now I do use tanks exclusively so there is never a coil without a wick and yes I would think dry burning a coil with a wick in it would result in burned wick.

I have said a lot, dry burning an OEM coil is pointless. Like Earthing said drain your tank because it now has the unburnt particles that have flavored the juice.

Having said that, The burnt taste is not from the wick it is from not getting all the gunk off the coil. The OEM KPT wicks are Silica and will not burn. Silica has a very high temp resistance at 1000°C. If you dry burn with a Silica wick, it will turn white again when done correctly. The other problem with dry burning OEM coils is getting hot legs. This will melt the rubber insulator and cause a really bad burnt rubber taste. That taste will also carry over even if you change coils.

I second comps thoughts, a dry burn will reach temps much higher than when used in juice. The old insulators were a rubber compound. The newer ones are silicone based. Either way the heat is much more intense when dry burning. I wouldn't recomend dry burning the std kpt coils.

Yes people. Time for a science experiment........

Go to your junk drawer and dig in deep, way in the back, in the corner, underneath that old pile of rubber bands you'll find an old lighter.

Grab a piece of silica wick and light that lighter and burn the wick. Keep trying..... Hold it on there nice and long...... Keep going .......

Yep, it won't burn. Comp got it right. You can dry burn a coil and it will improve it if done right. But you gotta knock the junk off the coil and you have to pulse it as Tam says or you'll fry the coil and burn the insulator. It's a pain but it does work if you're desperate or if you love tinkering. It also helps if you don't let the coil get too far gone to begin with. Hey, if you're on a budget and you wanna stretch a coil it will work.

But rebuilding a Kanger coil is ridiculously easy too. It takes me 15 minutes to rebuild about 6 coils nice and fresh. Even at B&M prices I buy 30 feet of wire for a little over $10 and I can make about 4 or 5 coils per foot. What is that like, .10 per coil. It's a steal. I've finally figured out how much cotton to use for wicking and it's great. I use Rixter's method with some slight modification but his method is fine. It's posted in the "Cloud Chasing" forum - How To Rebuild a KPT Head.