Resistance and Nic and vapor production

The reason for this question is the liquid I use is primarily VG and even with my standard Davides and KPT 2s produces a LOT of vapor. Thing is I love the taste so much there is no way I am changing anything lol. I could care less about the vapor production or throat hit, I am simply concerned with nicotine intake.

So here is the question. I currently use 1.8 ohm coils exclusively because of the flavor but am finding myself in places where I want to have less vapor production. Would upping to a 2.2 or 2.5 ohm coil produce very much less vapor and the main question is would the nicotine intake be the same?

May be a dumb question but still want to know the answer. Just when you think you know everything lol.

The thing is I am sitting in my office with a Mini Davide atop a Spinner 2 and when I exhale my computer screen disappears and want to maintain the same nic intake while lowering the amount of visible vapor if that makes sense.

I didn't notice any difference I actually.like 2.0 and higher.

But now that you mention it I did need higher nic, I also have noticed now that I'm building my own vapor drops huge in a 2.0 ohm coil.

Set up a fan it'll help. Humidity.has to be high down there.

I didn't notice any difference I actually.like 2.0 and higher.

But now that you mention it I did need higher nic, I also have noticed now that I'm building my own vapor drops huge in a 2.0 ohm coil.

Set up a fan it'll help. Humidity.has to be high down there.

Humidity seems to affect how long it hangs around but not the amount produced in my experience but it does get pretty humid here. You should see it when I am on the lake they tell me I look like a steam engine lol but its because of the humidity and how long the vapor sticks around. The initial exhale is not that much different but sometimes it lasts forever. I guess that's why I don't get "cloud chasing" because I am getting too much from a standard setup. I know its a personal preference.

Edited by bcartervol98

Theoretically, the volume vaporized is the same, regardless of PG/VG... BUT, I've noticed that my higher VG juices do seem to deliver (or deposit) more nicotine into my system... So, I use 18mg for my 80/20 - 50/50 juices, 12mg in my 30/70 juices, and seem to maintain a good balance that way... Could it all be in our heads? Possibly, but it seems to work for me :)

Like you, I'm using standard tanks (no dripping), but I've yet to dive into 100% VG because I can taste the glycerine over any "flavors", even at 30/70 levels... and I prefer to taste the flavor, not the glycerine... which is probably why I still regularly vape a couple 80/20 and 70/30 juices :D

Theoretically, the volume vaporized is the same, regardless of PG/VG... BUT, I've noticed that my higher VG juices do seem to deliver (or deposit) more nicotine into my system... So, I use 18mg for my 80/20 - 50/50 juices, 12mg in my 30/70 juices, and seem to maintain a good balance that way... Could it all be in our heads? Possibly, but it seems to work for me :)

Like you, I'm using standard tanks (no dripping), but I've yet to dive into 100% VG because I can taste the glycerine over any "flavors", even at 30/70 levels... and I prefer to taste the flavor, not the glycerine... which is probably why I still regularly vape a couple 80/20 and 70/30 juices :D

Well to say mine is 100% VG is not accurate. All I vape is Fuzion 18mg and they use a 100% VG Nic base with no added PG but with flavorings it comes out to be about 65% VG base and 35% flavorings that contain some PG. My wife hates it too, my flavor that is. The smell, the taste. Last weekend we were on the lake and she uses 70pg 24mg Peppermint and realized about midnight she had left her case in the car and had to use mine that night and acted like she was vaping excrement or something lol.

Edited by bcartervol98

Turn down your voltage :)

I am only at 3.8 lol thats about as high as I go. Even at 3.3 the lowest setting there is not a noticeable drop in vapor production only a HUGE drop in flavor and satisfaction haha.

Maybe I should phrase my question like this

If I use a 1.8 ohm coil in one tank and a 2.5 ohm in another and vape at the same 3.8v will I get the same amount of nicotine from both?

My .02

I don't think this is known because we know logically that nicotine production would be based on VOLUME of juice vaporized so whatever combination burns juice faster (and likely, more vapor) would produce more nicotine to be absorbed.

But what is not known is what factors increase the absorption of that nicotine. Is it simply holding in the hit? Does the temperature of the vape affect absorption? Does pg/vg ratio affect absorption?

It would follow that just raising coil resistance would decrease vapor production and therefore lower nicotine production. (Given same voltage)

But perhaps the combination of higher coil resistance but holding in the hit longer would seem to give less vapor on exhale but increase nic content. Maybe. Maybe simply holding in vapor longer itself on a shorter hit with lo resistance?

Edited by Bebop12

Does the temperature of the vape affect absorption?

Proven by the University of Kentucky study on the temperature of nicotine patches... higher heat DOES increase the rate of nicotine absorption. A patch applied to the skin at 102-104-deg showed upwards of 30% faster rates of absorption over a patch at room temp. Now, does that still apply when we're talking about temperatures of vapor? I don't know, and I'm sure there's a point where a plateau is reached, or temp negatively affects absorption (breaks down nicotine)... I've just not seen any studies on "vapor temp and nicotine absorption".

The rest is also subjective... but logical... more vapor "should" increase the volume of nicotine, as well as holding the hit longer to allow for maximum absorption... but those are factors I've not read any studies on, either... so I'll stick with what sounds logical for now :)

So, yes, using a higher resistance coil will produce a cooler vape, and less vapor, so logically (yeah, we're making assumptions here), nicotine absorption should be lower?

Edited by Earthling789

Makes sense, but seemed like a good discussion to have. I felt like higher resistance at same voltage would yield less nicotine because of the rate at which the liquid is vaporized.

I just need to hold my draws longer so I do not fog up my office, search for a liquid with a higher PG % that doesn't taste like *** lol or just say eff it and cloud it up lol.

• 3 months later...

I vape VG liquids as well, and so far I have not noticed the thickness of the vapor going down as I am reducing my nicotine intake. Could change depending on the brand, but my computer screen has a habit of becoming temporarily invisible as well! In cloud of Watermelon Wowzer Amazingness!!!