Japanese organic cotton vs. domestic?

• 4 months later...

update: I got KGD cotton yesterday because I wanted to try it and see what the fuss is about...

it wicks WAAAAAY better than organic cotton from walgreens. could tell right away.

I always put my wick through the coil and then pre-soak it...

pre-soaking organic cotton it likes to bead up the juice over the cotton and takes it a while to really soak in... putting more than a little bit will cause wicking problems and it will run dry and burn on ya (from a RTA standpoint...i'm sure it won't make much difference for a dripper user)

however with the japanese cotton, I peeled off the thicker outter layers and used the inner stuff to make my wick... the very instant that juice touched that stuff it soaked in and absorbed it all immediately. no beading of the juice what so ever! with my first build with it I intentionally put what would normally be too much wick and it just keeps soaking up juice like a sponge and staying completely saturated :D flavor is much stronger and stays stronger because of how saturated that wick stays. but it doesn't flood. it just stays saturated.

So that said: from a dripper standpoint probably not worth it as you can manually force the wick to saturate and stay that way...

from a rebuildable tank standpoint: definitely worth it! the faster it can wick up juice: the better.

pbusardo did a test comparing organic cotton, japanese cotton, rayon, and hemp. Japanese cotton wicked the fastest every test, organic cotton took more than a day to wick up juice, rayon was second fastest, and hemp was 3rd...

rayon was not too far behind japanese cotton, but japanese cotton always had a significant lead over the rest for how fast and easily it wicks up 100% VG.

update: I got KGD cotton yesterday because I wanted to try it and see what the fuss is about...

however with the japanese cotton, I peeled off the thicker outter layers and used the inner stuff to make my wick... the very instant that juice touched that stuff it soaked in and absorbed it all immediately. no beading of the juice what so ever! with my first build with it I intentionally put what would normally be too much wick and it just keeps soaking up juice like a sponge and staying completely saturated :D flavor is much stronger and stays stronger because of how saturated that wick stays. but it doesn't flood. it just stays saturated.

Give this method a try with Japanese cotton pads. I find the wick keeps it's shape a lot longer and it creates a juice channel. With Japanese cotton the top and bottom layer is more dense than the center. We will use this to our advantage.

Separate the cotton pad by peeling it apart, keep the denser part(top/bottom) of the cotton on the outside and roll it like you would a cig. So the the wick will have the denser on the outside and fluffy on the inside. Like I mentioned that the wick will now keep it's shape and will not get all mushy after some use, don't need to re-wick as often. Juice will soak through the dense outer layer and at the ends where the wick is trimmed. I talked to a few vapers and they really like this method of wicking with cotton pads.

I picked up a couple packs of Samurai Cotton at VapeCon. I love it. It wicks better than the stuff I was using before, and it leaves no extra tastes. I don't have to worry about that gross flavor at the start of my day. (I rewick with my coffee every morning)

I just picked up a small package of organic cotton from my local B&M tonight.I pulled off a piece and wicked my flat ribbon coil,juiced it up and right off the bat I could tell a difference in taste.I've been using basic cotton for so long that I immediately noticed how much better it is.it wicks the same as domestic cotton IMO.I can't wait to try Comps juice on the organic cotton! Idk why its taken me so long to finally buy organic cotton but its all I will use from now on.

I bought a small pack of 20 for a dollar.

You can get Organic cotton at any CVC or Walgreen's and get a bag that will last you over a year for $4.99. Don't know what you spent at the B&M, but I'm sure it was more than that. :)

Wow... 20 for a buck? My local B&M sells 12 Japanese Organic pads for $5, or 25 for $10!

I bought a 200-count pack of medium-size (5 x 6cm) Japanese Organic cotton from Amazon for $7. So far, I've managed to use ... two-and-a-half... in two months? At this rate, I'll "burn-through" 15 a year, so somewhere around 2027 I'll need to order more? :D

You still have the link? :D At that price I'll buy some. :D I would be able to do my rebuilt coils with it and not even up the price.

Selena - Cotton Labo Organic - Japanese Cotton from Amazon, currently $7.30 with free shipping for Prime members. It's also listed as an "add-on" item, but wasn't when I bought it....

I've tried one "pad" of the Koh Gen Do cotton, and from what I remember of it, there is little difference. The Koh Gen Do "name" is actually a Japanese Cosmetics "brand" isn't it? Like Almay, Mabelline, or Cover-Girl?

As for their cotton, it's just a well-made, premium organic cotton. I have zero complaints on the Selena brand I bought from Amazon. Wicking, flavor, durability, and consistency of the cotton seems to be on-par with Koh Gen Do.... at a MUCH lower price-point! I don't have both to compare side-by-side at the moment, but I think the Selena brand might be a tiny bit thinner? But, the thickness issue may be the difference between Small/Medium/Large pad sizes, or their compression in the bag, too?

In all honesty, both brands are probably made on the same assembly line, just shoved into different packaging... Just like when I was buying diapers for my kids... A family member worked for the paper company that made/packaged several different brand-names, and gave me the inside-scoop on the process. Other than the package or "print" on the waist-band, the diapers themselves were identical in every way, except price :)

• 2 weeks later...

In all honesty, both brands are probably made on the same assembly line, just shoved into different packaging... Just like when I was buying diapers for my kids... A family member worked for the paper company that made/packaged several different brand-names, and gave me the inside-scoop on the process. Other than the package or "print" on the waist-band, the diapers themselves were identical in every way, except price :)

From my experience there is a difference in diaper brands. In a nut shell, my daughter started to get a rash after a popular brand diaper changed their formula to a new absorbent material. We switched her to another brand and the rash went away.