Looking for my first Mechanical Mod

jasonculp

I am looking for my first mechanical mod. It isn't going to be my daily vape. I just want it to build some coils and use an RDA here at home and hotels (home away from home)

I am kinda strange, everything I see is too flashy. I want something simple, black or stainless. I don't need engraving, anodization or texture. I don't have a problem with the ones I see, they just don't fit my extremely boring personality...lol

I am also looking for inexpensive. Not cheap, I just don't have too much to spend due to all of the other supplies I am wanting to buy.

Any suggestions?

I really like the purely plain Jane copper mechs. Let them patina and they get real dark and extremely subtle. Not flashy at all with a long earned patina. I saw a few that had zero etchings or design. I can completely get where your coming from although I see bright stainless as flashy.

Magneto

The gold magneto. It's not shiny, looks a little aged, which I really like. It's more of a subtle elegance that comes from its sheer simplicity. And the price was excellent! :)

It's funny. When I asked this question I couldn't find any I like...now I have a list. I really like the Magneto. I also like the copper mods, especially the single mode ones. I like the look of the seamless tube.

I guess there is no reason to be too picky. I know myself very well, this will be the first of at least a few.

I am really leaning toward the 4nine. I just don't know about the clones. I really don't have the money for the tarsius ones I see, they are pushing $180. The clones are under $50.

I have never bought a genuine or clone so I really don't know what the quality difference is.

This one really catches my eye because it is very minimalist and looks virtually seamless. It is also tiny, which is great. It is also very simple.

Any opinions?

I went out for a little ride today, and stopped by a sidewalk sale at the local mall... mostly to snag a fresh lemonade, lol... Apparently a new vape-shop has opened up at the mall, and they had a few mods out on the tables, and their prices weren't horrible.

I didn't see a Magneto, but the Tesla M1 (Copper), and M5 (brushed Aluminum body w/ Copper rings/rods) really caught my eye! Maybe one day soon I'll pull the trigger on one of them? I had looked at the Tesla Lava(?) VV/VW before, and wasn't impressed with the look/feel of them, and for the money, I think the VTR would be a better choice (for me) on a VV/VW device, but the Tesla Mechs are really nice designs.

My opinion is I stay away from clones. I have seen clones that are decent and some "clones" are outright high quality. With that said my bud bought a few clones and some of them were so lousy it seemed like they were made out of the foil a candybar is wrapped in. I would go with an authentic piece OR higher quality clone. I get buying a real cheap clone if you just want to see If it's for you but not even completely. You don't get the true experience with a cheapo mech. Not saying there aren't exceptions.

I am really leaning toward the 4nine. I just don't know about the clones. I really don't have the money for the tarsius ones I see, they are pushing $180. The clones are under $50.

I have never bought a genuine or clone so I really don't know what the quality difference is.

This one really catches my eye because it is very minimalist and looks virtually seamless. It is also tiny, which is great. It is also very simple.

Any opinions?

I have an Infinite stingray and it's so damn close to the real one its hard to tell the difference. Like Richstag said, it all depends on who the clone was manufactured by. Stay away from anything without a decent reputation behind it. Some well known companies that make good clones are Infinite, HCigar, and EHPro.

The clones I have been looking at are Infinite. I have read many reviews and it seems to be as close to the "real thing" as you can get. I really want to pull the trigger. The only thing holding me back is the need to buy kanthal, silica, an RDA and on and on...lol

The clones I have been looking at are Infinite. I have read many reviews and it seems to be as close to the "real thing" as you can get. I really want to pull the trigger. The only thing holding me back is the need to buy kanthal, silica, an RDA and on and on...lol

Just because you have a mech mod it doesn't mean you have to have an RDA or RBA for it. I use a full sized Kanger Pro Tank 2, KPT3, Aerotank, and Davide on mine with a 1.8 ohm single coil and they work amazingly well!

If you're going the RDA route, before buying wire and torch and everything else you're going to need...the first thing on your shopping list should be an ohm meter if you don't already have one. I prefer the dedicated ohm meter specifically for coils, it's much easier to use and you don't need as many hands... Safety first! :)

I do have a good DVOM. I also have taken an 510/Ego adapter and soldered leads onto it that plug into my DVOM. I do think I would like to buy a dedicated one though. That is my problem. I want everything...now...lol. Of course as a tinkerer, I have most of what I need. Torches, miniature tools, all kinds of electronics, craft supplies, and on and on.

This is a big problem with an addict.... I no longer do drugs, but I get addicted to everything else I do... except saving money...lol

Thanks for your concern. I agree Safety First!

Edited by jasonculp

When I tried using my Fluke meter I found that I didn't have enough hands to be able to hold everything and still be able to read the output. lol The dedicated ones are only around $20 or so. They're much easier to use and convenient too.

Vaping is a healthier addiction. :D