Nic Levels

I have been vaping a 12mg liquid for a few months, however I still crave cigarettes. In everyone's opinion should I start an 18mg? Do ya'll think a higher nic level could possibly help me to finally stop throw down the cigs? I've tried 18mg and it gives me a head rush so I'm worried it might be too much. Thanks Ya'll

Everyone is different. I started well over a year ago on 24mg and after 6 months dropped to 18mg and that is where I am and where I plan to stay for the foreseeable future. I tried 12mg and still did not satisfy me.

You could order the same juice in 18mg and mix it 50/50 with your 12 to get a happy medium.

^^ This^^

Mix 1:1 volume ratio of 18mg and 12mg and you'll end up with 15mg juice.

Another thing to look at is that if you are still smoking, 12mg is not cutting it for you. Making the full-switch to electronics takes effort, and even though you say that 18mg gives you a head-rush, it's probably also a lot to do with the fact you're still smoking analogs at the same time... I'd give the 18mg another try (or cut it to 15mg as FishGuy suggested), and take smaller hits on the vape-gear.... I think you'll find that after the first week (hardest part), that you'll not be craving the analogs any longer.

I know I am repeating myself for the 10,000th time but in my opinion Nicotine is not the enemy, tobacco is. If you aren't getting enough nicotine at 12mg to stave off the cravings then move up and deal with the light headed side effect for a minute. I almost guarantee you it will subside in no time. If you do not stave off the cravings you will grab a smoke; i have had several employees vaping then all of a sudden I see them outside with an analog. I am like, why are you back smoking and they usually say something like "I dropped to 6mg nic and it just isnt doing it for me". Well duh.......get higher nic levels. If you are not replacing what your body is used to getting you will suffer worse withdrawals. You are already going to have some withdrawal from the hundreds of chemicals and carcinogens your body is no longer needing.

Its a hot button issue for me. People (usually those that still smoke) are incessantly asking me when I am going to drop the nicotine and I always reply "Never, I like nicotine just like you I just choose to not kill myself to get it". It is not a requirement of vaping to drop in levels. Do whatever is right for you. Like I said I use 18mg and occasionally 24mg every day and my wife has never even tasted anything less than 24mg. It is what it is, and we have both been over a year tobacco free.

For me the difference in 12 and 18 mg nicotine is like night and day. And if I want to micro adjust I do that with my tanks personally, if not I'd have some 24 mg in my vape box just in case (that I carry around everywhere)

The addict in me likes knowing its there even if I never use it, and I vape because I enjoy it, and I'd use any nicotine necessary and for now I don't plan on stepping down, I'm happy and enjoying my past time :)

If I ever do decide to get to 0 nic, as soon as I do I will be having a fire sale on all my vape gear. To me, its like O'Douls. I do not see the point.

Just my opinion. I do not vape because I enjoy it. I vape to not smoke cigarettes. Its that simple for me.

Edited by bcartervol98

You nailed it... the mental part is driven by the physical NEED. Your body is use to nicotine at a specific level, and as your nic levels drop, there is a trigger to the mental aspect, telling you that you need more nicotine! It's just like thirst... you get thirsty, and your body sends a message to the brain telling you to get a glass of water...

Once you find your sweet-spot in nicotine levels from vaping, the mental urge will move from "light another one up" to "hit the vape-gear"... bingo, you're off analogs!

Like BCarter said... nicotine is not the enemy... Nicotine is naturally occurring in hundreds of fruits and vegetables (albeit lower doses). Eggplants and tomatoes have some of the highest levels! And, I tend to agree with him on the aspect that if I ever work my way down to 0mg of nicotine, I'll have no use for any of my vaping gear... I use it to provide the nicotine my body has been USE TO receiving over the past 30 years! Sure, I may lower my levels from my current 16-18mg (someday), but I didn't start vaping as an 18-month program to taper myself off nicotine 1mg per month until I no longer need/desire it.... I started vaping to get away from analogs... and 60+ days later, vaping has been the ONLY METHOD that has worked :D

That's funny, I COMPLETELY agree with the O'Douls comparison, I've always said exactly the same thing. I enjoy vaping and plan to continue in the near future.

MSMom, if it helps any, my experience was that at 12 mg (albeit on a clearomizer and an ego knockoff battery) I would vape a bit and then need a cigarette. When I stepped up to 18 mg I realized I could quit smoking, and that wasn't even my goal when I started. I really just planned to cut back, and be able to do it in the car and office, and I knew in bed would be nice too.

But after I got the right Nicotine content, the analogs were tasting horrible and we all know how they smell, and I just really lost the desire. The first week was rough, (yet bearable), and with my nicotine level high enough I wasn't climbing the walls at work or anything. It was mostly just getting out of the habits of lighting up when I got in my truck, and going on smoke breaks with the coworkers.

Once i got past those mental habits I was good to go. I'm not sure if me vaping inside is related to it or it's just from the chemicals, but I'm sleeping better at night too at 18 mg and no cigarettes. I've always struggled with insomnia and it's not perfect now but it's a lot better, less waking up and a deeper sleep.

If I ever do decide to get to 0 nic, as soon as I do I will be having a fire sale on all my vape gear. To me, its like O'Douls. I do not see the point.

Just my opinion. I do not vape because I enjoy it. I vape to not smoke cigarettes. Its that simple for me.

I agree almost completely, except that I do enjoy vaping as I have finally found flavors I like. If I didn't enjoy it I wouldn't have made it these last four weeks! I think it is about balance, find that happy place that replaces the habits and rewards of the old stenchers and stinkies. My wife and I are both on 12mg and going strong. I chain vape and take breaks, have a few vapes, back and forth, and just kept at it for the first week or two and it has completely changed. I no longer crave cigs in any way and am simply amazed!

It takes what it takes but it does work and that is the bottom line in my opinion. Practice and play, find what works for you and get off them stinkies!

I agree almost completely, except that I do enjoy vaping as I have finally found flavors I like. If I didn't enjoy it I wouldn't have made it these last four weeks! I think it is about balance, find that happy place that replaces the habits and rewards of the old stenchers and stinkies. My wife and I are both on 12mg and going strong. I chain vape and take breaks, have a few vapes, back and forth, and just kept at it for the first week or two and it has completely changed. I no longer crave cigs in any way and am simply amazed!

It takes what it takes but it does work and that is the bottom line in my opinion. Practice and play, find what works for you and get off them stinkies!

I agree. It's been over a year for me and I love how easy it was to switch. I have a big collection and just like every new Vaper I went nuts and tried everything but it hasn't become a hobby for me. I enjoy helping others make the change by sharing my story but in the end if I could just blink my eye and make it happen; I would do neither.

This is why I bought one nice mech and a good tank system. I didn't want to mess with the hobby end of trying all 3,194 clones out there. I just wanted a sturdy reliable system that I could crank up when I needed to. When I kick cigs for a while, not just a week or two, I plan to step down. Then as I am getting really low I plan to divert my attention by carving a display case to set my mech in as I retire it along with my addiction to nicotine.

Im in this for my health.

BTW, I had been wondering another thing about nicotine levels. Will hotter vapor make your system absorb the nicotine at a higher level?
http://www.quit.org.au/about/frequently-asked-questions/faq-nicotine-inhaler/faq-nicotine-inhaler-using.html this site says (when using their product) warmer weather produces more nicotine than cold weather....I'd say yes. The only thing I could find on EC is that mech mods and vv mods deliver more nic than (first generation) cigalike EC http://www.nature.com/srep/2014/140226/srep04133/full/srep04133.html :vapor: Edited by VaporTron

I would say that www.quit.org.au is out sell certain products and discourage others this is what they say about E-Cigarettes.

http://www.quit.org.au/about/frequently-asked-questions/e-cigarettes/can-i-use-e-cigarettes.html

"The sale, possession, and use of nicotine in the form of an e-cigarette in Victoria is against the law. There is a lack of evidence that e-cigarettes are safe to use, or that they help people to quit smoking."

Nicotine absorption through the skin (via transdermal patch) is affected by heat. If the patch is warmed more than body-temperature, the rate of absorption through the skin is significantly increased during the first 30-minutes of wearing, due to heating prior to or during topical application of the patch to facilitate skin penetration, increase kinetic energy, and facilitate drug absorption. - Int J Physiol Pathophysiol Pharmacol. Sep 30, 2011.

Nicotine being vaporized for inhalation is not significantly affected by "more" heat, except in the event that the nicotine % is high enough to allow for combustion as heating reaches the flash-point of the nicotine. Yes, nicotine is combustible!

The body absorbs the vaporized / aerosolized nicotine via mouth, throat, and lungs, regardless of the temperature of the vapor. Heat affects the volume of vapor production (from the pg/vg/water content ratio), more-so than the % of nicotine. The pg/vg/water is the carrier / transfer-mechanism to deliver the nicotine.

I have vaped in hot conditions, cold conditions, and have used cooler resistance coils and lower ohm warmer and cannot tell one bit of difference in the way I feel the nicotine. Seems to be dissecting it too far imo.

Okay Carter. I feel like I get better satisfaction from the hotter vapor. Maybe its just because it fills more of the feel of a cig.

BTW, I do this with anything. I figure out how to make it work best for me. I never think something can be dissected too far. But hey, I find this stuff interesting too...

While temperature does have an effect on how the body absorbs anything, temperature of the vapor will have an effect, but less on the absorption rate, more on the delivery (volume). All things being equal, more vapor equates to more nicotine potentially aerosolized.

The coil vaporizes the pg/vg/water to create a vapor-carrier to deliver nicotine in microscopic droplets (think, near-molecular-level). What determines absorption, once you inhale, is not the temperature, but rather the surface-area (mouth/throat/lungs) contacted by the vapor. A mouth-puff (not inhaled) will not deliver the same volume as a straight-draw-lung-hit. The longer you "hold" the hit also will increase the potential for full-absorbtion. Also, a "cold" hit which produces very little vapor will deliver less nicotine to the body than a "visible" vapor will.

From the study I listed above, they were dealing with a tiny transdermal patch, delivering across 2.5 sq-in of skin. Vaporizing the nicotine produces a large dispersal of nicotine throughout the volume vapor, thus providing more potential for a larger surface-area to absorb it. Once nicotine is contained in the vapor, the body readily absorbs it. Heat has far less effect in this case, because you have increased the surface-area exponentially, and the membranes of your mouth/throat/lungs more readily absorb the nicotine for blood-delivery than does the tougher barrier of exterior skin!

This is why vaping is so effective at nicotine delivery. The mechanism is similar to smoking...