New to vaping, help!

cschmall

To start off, I just started vaping earlier this week, by buying a cheap vape at a gas station, just to try to quit smoking cigarettes, because I've tried basically all other methods in the past (regular disposable e-cigs, gum, colt turkey, etc.) I bought this cheap one just to try it out, to see if I would like it, if it would help at all, and then I would buy a decent one. I've looked through a few threads on here, but really have no clue as to what I'm looking at, or what I should be looking for. If someone could point me in the right direction as to a good starter kit, that's reasonably priced (I would like to spend less than $150 when it's all said and done.) And explain the difference between clearomizers and tanks, and also what difference the resistance makes. I would like to have one that lasts at least 12 hours or so, whether that would be a few batteries, or just a single one that lasts a while. Basically I just want you guys to tell me what I should by, how much, and why, haha.

Thanks in advance guys!

That's a large enough budget you can get something pretty nice. I enjoy my vamo v5 with the aspire nautilus clearomizer tank. It's safe and easy to get started. Variable wattage just lets you find a setting you like and it does the job of pushing out the voltage you need for the resistance of coil you have in place. For this tank either 1.6 or 1.8 You can get this setup, a charger, and a pair of 18650 2250mah batteries for about 120$ from http://www.myvaporstore.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VAM5-SS I've used them before and never had a problem with my order. You can get an extra pack of coil heads for that tank and some ejuice and you'll be good to go.

Of course there are a lot of other options that won't cost nearly all your budget but if you want something that performs and the battery and size of tank will last you all day of vaping this setup does that and then some. I have the same mod and tank and have gone 2 or even three days on the same battery charge and without refilling the tank with juice. Even if I do run out of battery life this place sells them in pairs with the charger so you're good to go while you charge the dead battery.

If you want to save money just go with an ego twist battery and a cheap tank but there is a good chance you are wanting to upgrade after you get into vaping and not smoking so I believe it's best to buy the better stuff sooner.

http://www.myvaporstore.com/Joye_eGo_C_Twist_Variable_Voltage_1000mAh_Battery_p/ego-c-tstxl.htm

http://www.myvaporstore.com/Innokin_iClear_16_Dual_Coil_Ego_Clearomizer_p/ink-ic16.htm

Edited by SteezeOG

The terminology can be a little confusing with tanks and cartomizers, atomizers, and clearomizers.

Back in the day, almost all the atomizers were the same, and looked kind of like the cartridge (filter end) of a "blu" cigarette. You put the fluid right in that little cartridge but it wasn't much. So people realized there was a way to seal that atomizer in a plastic enclosure and punch holes in the lil cartridge so that it could swim in juice basically and still work without just being a wet shorted mess.

As E-Cigarettes started to get bigger and mroe people started improving them as they got popular, companies began building the atomizer and surrounding tank as "all in one" units, it was convenient, no punching of things, trying to seal a plastic enclosure around a maybe not perfectly round atomizer etc. And when they were used up they could be refilled or thrown a way and replaced. That's called a "cartomizer" and its like a tank with coil unit all built together and designed to be "plug and play"

Clearomizers and cartomizers are often describing the same thing, but clearomizer means you can see inside of it and see the liquid.

Your budget is very good, you can get started with that for sure. In my opinion I would start out with either a Vision Spinner 2 or an Innokin VV3 or MVP 2.0

Those might sound complicated as a beginner but they're both VERY user friendly and IMO catered towards the new user who doesn't know how to use an Advanced Personal Vaporizer which is also called an APV.

APV means it's got variable power control. Variable wattage means the unit will check the ohm resistance in your carto/clearomizer and tell the battery to send the right amount of power for that tank.

The user above who suggested the Vamo V5, I agree it's also a good option especially if you like the form factor, and if it's priced right. I haven't been following the sales on them close but they did have some amazing prices on them in a few newsletter deals.

Here's what I would probably recommend starting with, The MVP 2.0 is bigger, personally I was scared to death it would be too big and not cigarette like enough. Then I got it and realized that size totally wasn't a problem and I loved the form factor, it's shaped just right IMO and built rock solid, feels quality. It also lasts several days on a charge, and is easy to set up correctly.

http://101vape.com/mods/183-innokin-itaste-vv-v3-express-kit.html

The VV3 is a much smaller, slender, ego or e-pen shaped device that's also an advanced personal vaporizer.

http://101vape.com/mods/183-innokin-itaste-vv-v3-express-kit.html

Here's some good cartomizer/clearomizer tanks that are easy to use, and have replaceable coil units which also include the wick. So you keep the cartomizer, unscrew a lil plug looking thing from the bottom and place it in 91 alcohol to clean the gunk out, or throw it away and place a new coil in.

I personally take the coil out and soak it and rinse it then let it dry and next time I swap the coil unit out I try that one and either leave it in or throw it away and grab a new one. Some people say that at 50 cents to $1.50 it's not worth soaking them and they prefer to just chunk and replace. Whatever works for you, just letting you know it's a possibility.

http://www.sweet-vapes.com/shop?page=shop.product_details&flypage=vmj_color_plus.tpl&product_id=3259&category_id=90

http://www.sweet-vapes.com/shop?page=shop.product_details&flypage=vmj_color_plus.tpl&product_id=2807&category_id=46

Those are some good starting out type carto/clearomizers IMO. I have some more expensive pro tanks but I've realized I'd rather have several less expensive ones since they vape about the same (otherwise I wouldn't want them, the vape quality is important) and I can easily switch them out and have several loaded with different flavors.

Edited by charliestheman

While SteezeOG's suggested set up is nice, I wouldn't recommend it for someone new to vaping. If you have the one Vamo and something happens to it -- you have no back up, and it's also more complicated than you're probably ready for right now with all the other stuff you'll need to learn. You'll most definitely want to move up to a better set up later, though, and the Vamo is a good APV (advanced personal vaporizer) when you do.

A Vision Spinner kit like in the link below might be a better starting place. The Spinner is a variable voltage device and very simple, yet gives room to grow.

http://www.carolinaecigs.com/smoov-vision-spinner-1300-mah-variable-voltage-kit-electronic-cigarette.html

These 1300 mAh batteries should last you well over 12 hours (depending on your coil resistance, how much you vape, etc.), but it's a very good work horse. I have several that have lasted well over a year before they needed to be replaced, and they're still my go-to battery that I use every day despite having a couple mechanical mods and APVs in my arsenal.

I would suggest getting a lower resistance coil like a 1.5 or 1.8 ohm for your clearomizer or tank. These two terms are basically interchangeable. The clearomizer is called that due to having a clear "tank" for your juices. I personally prefer the 1.8 ohm coils but you may find you like other resistances better, only you will be able to say which one works best for you once you try different ones.

I guess the vamo is a tad advanced for someone with no electronics knowledge or interest in knowing the basics beyond pushing a button and sucking. I jumped right in with a V3 and protank 2 and didn't find it challenging at all but I also build computers and have basics of electronics and beyond in my past education. I just hear a lot of people get a ego twist and tank and then a month later are going with something beyond that. Either way the twist and stuff like that is nice for a vape in the car and to travel with. Just don't expect to spend $50 on it and be done with vape purchases for life I guess is what I'm saying. If you're into tinkering and getting the most out of things you'll be back in a few months asking about a mech mod and rebuildable atomizer. :yes

Op I started just like you, tried out a gas station vapor kit...kinda liked it but visited a vapor store where they hooked me up with a better setup and have really enjoyed it. Solo much better than the gas station gear. Visit a local vapor shop and see what they suggest.

I started out with a single eGo-T 950mAh battery and Ce4 clearomizer kit from my local retailer ($20 w/ free e-juice starter). I picked up a second "kit" so I could have an extra battery, tank, case, bottle, and charger. I wasn't fully excited about the disposable clearomizers, so I quickly picked up a pair of bottom-coil "tanks" from Kanger (mini ProTank3's), and then added in two more 1100mAh batteries, so I could always have batteries ready to use. From there it ballooned to an MVP 2.0 kit and larger Kanger tanks (two ProTank2, a ProTank3, and an AeroTank - and was gifted two mini ProTank2's). I stayed with Kanger because I liked the fact that I only had to keep up with two coil types (single or dual).

I bought all of my tanks but one (not counting the ones that came with kits, or the gifts) from eBay, and paid less than half retail prices. The two 1100mAh batteries also came from eBay ($7 shipped for the pair). Just be careful buying from eBay, and make sure you're buying "genuine" items. BTW, my local retailer is/was selling clone batteries and claiming them to be genuine... so be careful even at B&M stores.

If I had to do it again, I would have approached things differently, and my advice to anyone with a budget of $100 would be to pick up a pen-style battery "kit" with two batteries (eGo-style, twists are nice), two disposable Ce4 tanks, case, and charger... (The Kanger EVOD kits are nice too, as well as the Innokin LEO kits).... you'll use those daily and are very portable for work or in the car. From there, I'd add in an MVP 2.0 battery and a package of iClear's replacement coils, or if you prefer another tank brand, buy one or two of those and a 5-pack of coils at a minimum. With a twin-pack eGo-style kit under $25 from most online sources, MVP starter kit for ~$40, and additional tank/coils for $15-30, you're under $100 for enough equipment to keep you vaping for a LONG time!

Edited by Earthling789

I advise going to someone you who's an advanced vaporer and have them teach you what you need to know ,and do, to become advanced vaporer from the get-go. I ain't a super smart guy and that method worked for me. I researched alittle about how to get the absolute best vape quality (which included coiling your own atomizer), watched a few youtube videos on everything I read about, found someone who was an Advanced vapor, sat with him watching him coil his own work , asked a Kajillion questions and just dived right in. Been vaping happy ever since.

Do not fear what you don't know. Its easy. Aint nothing but a chicken wing on a string easy.

Good luck

Im new here...jyst learning the vape stuff.

i started with a expensive garbage cigalike,lasted 1 mth,needed constant maintence,always leaked juice into your mouth,constantly burning up atomizers.

so i went back to smoking.2 years later i started buying dispisable blu ecigs,after the blu...i still wanted a analong.

3 days ago i bought a v4l zeus.i have no urge to smoke a cig.today a control test.after 3 days vaping i tried a cigg today...2 drags and i put it out...taste was terrible,feeling was aweful.but this was the test.after 3 days with a blu ecig,if i took a drag of a real cig...i would get that light headed feeling.

not with the zeus.i love this beast,simple,clean to setup,plenty vapor and satisfies.

Oh...one more thing....battery life on the zeus is pretty impressive.i have the small 900mah battery,i vape pretty offten and 15 hours later she still has power.every 6 hours i add 20 more drops of juice to keep it full.

Well, I ended up going to a shop today, and bought an itaste with a protank 3, and so far I've really liked it, all except the issue of the e juice leaking onto the battery... The girl at the shop even put it all together and showed me how to set it up, and I'm still on the same tank that she filled for me.. I just noticed when I took the tank off to put it in the case when I was going to work that there was a significant amount of liquid on the battery. I just spent $125 on this setup and don't really want that to go to waste... post-31172-140036555083_thumb.jpg

Did you get extra coils with your pro tank 3? Make sure the coil is screwed in to the base tight. If continues to leak, change the coil out.

Make sure you keep the top of the battery dry too. Blow the extra juice out through the protank gently. Keeping it clear and battery dry improves performance

Just want to clarify... Coil to base can be tight tight. I've never had a leak doing this. But base to battery finger tight only for sure.

Are you guys getting leaks if you screw coil to base really tight? I've never had that problem...

Just want to clarify... Coil to base can be tight tight. I've never had a leak doing this. But base to battery finger tight only for sure.

Are you guys getting leaks if you screw coil to base really tight? I've never had that problem...

When I over tighten the coil to base it reduces/restricts air flow for me. :)

Check that the stem on the coil is firmly pressed in to the coil body. It's just a press fit over the top of the actual coil itself.

You could pull the stem and try adding another flavor wick over the top of the coil or a small piece of cotton.

Yeah, take a pic

Edited by Bebop12

Yeah that's a dual coil.

Ummm.... Well, like I said you could add cotton because it sounds like the flow is too fast if it's just leaking on its own. I mean, as the coil gets some use it's going to slow up naturally anyway.

Dry it all up, reassemble and blow gently thru the tank a few times. Dab up any juice. Dry your 510 connection. Then assemble and vape well on it. The leaking should diminish.

Are you using a thin juice? 60pg or higher? That could be contributing too....

Edited to change to pg

Edited by Bebop12