BBQ pit masters speak up!

I don't think it's possible to make a good brisket in an afternoon! lol.

But I would suggest searing on grill then baking in oven at around 275 until done.

You can also use wood chips with a gas grill. I normally soak them for about 3 hours, then pack them into some foil and poke some holes in it. This allows the smoke to flow through the holes without burning up the wood chips too quickly.

This method however, normally will take me about 10-12 hours for a finished product.

the oven can be your friend in a bind.

personally there is nothing that can speed up a good brisket. slow and smokey.

I was about to say the exact same thing. In my opinion a good brisket takes atleast 10 hours. I have done it using the searing/oven method and it turned out mediocre. Flavor was pretty good but was not near as tender as I would like. Over all I definitely suggest not wasting 10 bucks on a brisket unless you're going to smoke it right! ;)

Edited by mvince201

Yes. I personally use an electronic one. I am able to stick the probe into the grill and get a reading from outside. I would highly suggest one of those, but the type that sits inside works well too.

I have just had very bad luck with the built in thermometers that grills normally come with. They never seem to be very accurate IMO. Which is why I suggest a better one.

Please do not smoke with gas lol. Sorry, I am a charcoal-hardwood purist. I specialize in pork and am not a big fan of brisket so I may not be much help but my pork butt has won many many competitions back in the day.

For me to do a pork butt it takes about 50lbs of charcoal and about 12lbs of wood of choice. I stick to hickory that I harvest myself in my backyard but often add fruit wood for flavoring.

If I were doing it on a gas grill (and I wouldn't, but if I did) I would put on a good rub, wrap it in foil airtight and let it go 7-8 hours in the oven at 250 and then finish it on the grill to put a crust (bark) on the outside.

Edited by bcartervol98

Well that officially BLOWS...... lol So, next question, if I use wood chips for the smoke and a gas grill can it be done on a single tank of gas? 20 bucks per tank + brisket.... lol

On the two grills I cook on enough to be able to answer this, both are a yes with plenty to spare. But grills are different, I've cooked on old rusty ones with old burners that drank fuel, and took a lot of fire to keep the temperature up because they weren't well insulated. If it's a somewhat modern gas grill, and regulates temperature well and isn't the size of a circus tent you should be fine.

Edited by charliestheman

Please do not smoke with gas lol. Sorry, I am a charcoal-hardwood purist. I specialize in pork and am not a big fan of brisket so I may not be much help but my pork butt has won many many competitions back in the day.

For me to do a pork butt it takes about 50lbs of charcoal and about 12lbs of wood of choice. I stick to hickory that I harvest myself in my backyard but often add fruit wood for flavoring.

If I were doing it on a gas grill (and I wouldn't, but if I did) I would put on a good rub, wrap it in foil airtight and let it go 7-8 hours in the oven at 250 and then finish it on the grill to put a crust (bark) on the outside.

^^ What he said.

You will never get the flavor out of a gas grill (smoking or not) that you will out of a traditional smoker. Hands down. But if you have to, that's the way to do it. I forgot to mention that you should wrap your brisket in foil, that's a good point.

Sounds like I need to steal my neihbors smoker.... lol I could do the oven/grill thing. I have both the circus tent size and burners that are showing age... lol Do you prep it with anything before the rub? Is there a good ready made rub I could get?

I am no professional nor have I won any competitions by any means. But I do love to smoke some good meat. I like to get the Harter House rub and I use it as a base and add my own ingredients. Sometimes I use it by itself. Either way, I think it's a really good base rub.

I make my own but for a commercial rub I haven't found better than "Stubbs".

http://www.thehotsaucestop.com/stubbs-bbq-spice-rub/

I will have to try the Harter House and see if I like it.

Also its hard to beat Wickers for a great injecting marinade and finishing sauce. It is vinegar and spice base no ketchupy sauce that will burn and be too sweet for smoked meats imo

http://www.walmart.com/ip/10451863?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=41833582510&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=19880599990&veh=sem

I had a feeling you were an A** man! :evil:

Its a running joke with my lake group about how everyone loves the taste of "Brians Butt" lol

I make my own but for a commercial rub I haven't found better than "Stubbs".

http://www.thehotsaucestop.com/stubbs-bbq-spice-rub/

I will have to try the Harter House and see if I like it.

Also its hard to beat Wickers for a great injecting marinade and finishing sauce. It is vinegar and spice base no ketchupy sauce that will burn and be too sweet for smoked meats imo

http://www.walmart.com/ip/10451863?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=41833582510&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=19880599990&veh=sem

Its a running joke with my lake group about how everyone loves the taste of "Brians Butt" lol

I have made my own several times and had pretty good luck with it. I like to use the harter house rub because it has most of the main ingredients I start with anyway, so it saves me some time. I have never tried Stubbs where can you get it aside from online?

Brian out Jeff! lol Stubbs I've seen in stores, I'll have to check on the injection stuff and the other. I know purists/advanced bbq ppl make there own normaly. I'll probly start with a pre packeged product though to try and get the hang of it.

B those birds look so comfy with their wings all folded up on their breast. :D We rarely cook inside during the summer and our Thanksgiving and Christmas turkey's are always grilled. No gas here only a charcoal grill will do. I'm no expert but I do a mean grilled tenderloin, ;) If I cook on wood it is on the fire pit.

gallery_1116_216_3786.jpg