Hey guys, new to the forum and I need a bit of advice. I just purchased a Fatty V3 from my local B&M and I am having some issues. Firstly I am using a Sigelei 20w device and anyone familiar with this device will know that it cannot fire below .6 ohms even if its advertised to. I am shooting for around 1.5-1.8 for this Fatty atomizer and the first coil I installed read around 2.4. I've wrapped about 5 coils since that one and they all read "LOW RES". its either reading the coils between 0.0 - 0.4 ohm. I even tried popping the original 2.4 coil back in there and it read "LOW RES" again... can't figure out what I've done. Any advice is truly appreciated! Thanks!

-Ryan

First off are you using a separate ohm meter to test your coils or are you using your Sigelei? To be safe it's always best to use a dedicated ohm meter. The ones on the batteries are not always accurate.

Thanks for the response guys! I have been looking into picking up an ohm meter for testing, but just haven't yet. I am still a bit new to the vape world. I will definitely be picking one up next time I am by the shop. Also, I did check the 510 connection to see if there were any issues there and on the mod it has a spring loaded pin so I know that one is good and the connection on the atomizer is fixed so it doesn't appear there is any movement to be had. This one truly has me stumped. I know that this atomizer is a weird one as it has some funky parts to it and is a little more complex than necessary in my opinion, but it still makes we wonder what has changed since the first two coils I put on there.

Thanks again for the help!

Not just about contact. Those pins and threads have to be clean as well. In all these devices, the pins and threads are subject to juice and that means dirt build up, corrosions, poor contact. Also, a submerged or wet coil will read differently than a dry coil. These are the main reasons your device is not as reliable for reading ohms.

Thanks Bebop! I have checked everything and all is clean and looks brand new, really both devices are pretty much brand new. I will definitely be getting an ohm meter for more reliable information. But any thoughts on the fact that a perfectly good coil was reading 0.0 ohm and simply would not read? I even used one of the coils that wouldn't read on the Fatty onto a Trident and I am currently vaping on it right now, reading 2.1 ohm. Thanks again for the input!!

The manufacturing tolerances and quality control for coils is a bit sketchy. I have had brand new coils come out of the package shorted out (0 ohm). It's not unheard of. Sometimes you can take them apart and see where the coil itself is touching some metal and find the short. A little fiddling with a toothpick or needle can take care of a short sometimes. Don't be afraid to pull it apart and investigate.

If it's your own build then you've got a short somewhere or loose connection coil to post.

Edited by Bebop12

Thanks Bebop, thats what I was trying to figure out last night. The Fatty is on of those RDAs where you wrap the kanthal around the post and tighten down the connection clamping down the wire. I was fiddling and trying to figure out if it wasn't making a good connection with the post. I'm gonna grab a ohm meter on my way home from work today and do a bit more "fiddling" see if I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. I've never had an issue with my coils on my Trident but this Fatty seems to be a fickle RDA. Thanks again for the advice! Much appreciated and I welcome more!

Well just to round this out in case anyone else has the issue I had with the Fatty V3 RDA. Keep an eye on your posts on this device. When I took this completely apart I switched the positive and negative posts. One is longer than the other and they have to be in the correct side. If you have this RDA you will notice a insulator on the deck where the post fits through, that is your negative post or the shorter of the two. If you make sure to have them correctly placed, you won't have the issue that I did.

As a short review of this RDA, it is a little overly complicated for what it needs to be. However, if you are a single coiler like myself, and enjoy a good flavor over a huge cloud this RDA could be one that would make it into your rotation. The draw is a little tight for my liking, but I may drill out the air holes a bit and see if I can open it up a bit. Also, this thing can hold a decent amount of juice as doesn't dry out fast at all. Overall, I really like this device, now that I figured out what I screwed up in the first place, and I would recommend it as a decent single coil RDA.

Thanks again to all the quick responses!

Agreed Sirius, the Fatty has "adjustable air flow" but I wouldn't really call it that. I would call it one small hole that doesn't quite cut it, other than for mouth to lung. Which is fine for my regular relaxing style, but I do like the Trident better and I just picked up a Quasar and a Kayfun 3.1 to try out. I can see the Fatty V3 staying in my rotation just due to the single coil design, but it will probably take a back seat to the Trident, Quasar, and Kayfun.