cotton wicks?

so since im dabbling in the dripping world im interested in cotton wicks. i got some 100 percent cotton balls from walmart brand name is white cloud, and peaches and cream 100 percent cotton yarn. i seen ppl use both but before i try it wanted to ask you guys. now i know i need to boil and dry it before use. but any suggestions on the cotton i have ok to use, dont use or whats agood cotton and where can i find this. thanks yall

I use Peaches and Cream cotton yarn 2mm to replace the flavor wicks in my Davide minis and KPT 2s for my VG base flavor but I'm not a dripper. Upside for me is great vapor and flavor, downside is it seems to burn faster than silica and needs to be replaced more often. I am willing since the flavor I vape 90% or more of the time is "no PG added".

Screw boiling the cotton. The little bit of smut that could be on it(if you bought a sealed bag) is still most likely 12x better then the standard air we all breath.

I only boil mine 'cause I tried not boiling it and wound up with an oily aftertaste for over an hour, at which point, I boiled all that I had for about 10 min and then let cool and repeated the process 2 more times. Then spread it out on a couple cookie racks and let it dry for 3-4 days. Poof, no more problems, and I have more "clean" cotton than I can use in a year! Is it a hassle? Yep! But, I couldn't find any organic or sterile cotton in my area and could not vape on it right outta the bag. So, "to each, his own". For me, it wasn't a germ or cleanliness issue. It was all about taste.

Edited by Joshuab3687

I only boil mine 'cause I tried not boiling it and wound up with an oily aftertaste for over an hour, at which point, I boiled all that I had for about 10 min and then let cool and repeated the process 2 more times. Then spread it out on a couple cookie racks and let it dry for 3-4 days. Poof, no more problems, and I have more "clean" cotton than I can use in a year! Is it a hassle? Yep! But, I couldn't find any organic or sterile cotton in my area and could not vape on it right outta the bag. So, "to each, his own". For me, it wasn't a germ or cleanliness issue. It was all about taste.

Well if you feel that that's what cleared up your taste then more power to you. But if you boil cotton anything that is on that cotton ball or yarn will rise to about the top inch or so of the water in the pan. So how would you remove it without dragging it back through all that muck? You could pour off the top certainly, but as everyone knows, the top isn't the first thing to pour out when it comes to a liquid. So either way, it doesn't do you any good, but I'm glad it helped clear up your taste. :)

I use cotton balls, i have tried boiled an un-boiled, i honestly didnt notice any difference between the two. I am using a brand i get on base at the main exchange, the brand is Exchange.. lol sometimes i get a nasty taste, but that all depends on the ohms of the coil. Its almost like it has a little break in period. After the first few pulls on it, it starts to taste clean.

I'd like to hear some more input on what people are using for cotton. I'm going to start rebuilding and I've purchased some silica but I've read some good reviews with people using cotton.

Does everyone just use cotton balls (or qtips?)

What are the other options out there for cotton wicking?

I use cotton on my kayfun and igo w

but I use a SS Cable in my RSST

I love the flavor I get with cotton as well as cotton holds a good amount of juice

What kind of cotton do you use Geff, cottonballs?

Im about to try out some nano dragons on the igoW and see if that helps my flavor out. Think my issue is my 3mm air holes

Large airholes will reduce how much flavor you actually taste, i have that issue on my RSST. (i need to buy a new cap, cause i havent used it since i drilled the hole, i like to taste the flavor)

One thing you might want to try, if you dont or havent already, try ekowool though, I have large airholes on my IGO-W (larger then the ones on my RSST) and i just started using ekowool, and i can actually taste the flavor of my bowdens mate. It is not as flavorful as with my octopus RDA (single small airhole) but at least i can tell its bowdens mate and not just air... lol