Living with the uninformed.

NBC 5 in Dallas just ran a story talking about how Frisco, Texas is implementing regulations on e-cigs to stop sale to people under 18. I agree with that completely. They then stated that flavors of the juice was directly aimed at kids. To which I said was bullcrap. My grandfather (I live with my grandparents at the moment) then goes on this rant that it's all a ploy to get kids on real cigarettes. He went on to talk about how they are not known to be safe so they should all be banned until research is done. I said research won't be done if it's banned. The FDA won't waste their time researching something that isn't legal. Or at least they won't focus on it as much.

Still looking like a couple more months till I can afford to move. How do you guys deal with living with someone that is so strongly against this?

I got into a discussion with someone from the "older" generation about it, he was completely against it because of the media hype. I steered the conversation making comparisons to prohibition, infringement of rights and the fact that they don't ban cigarettes even though they know that they are deadly. Plus the fact that it is all about big money and government... then the light went on.

You hasta choose your battles. enjoy

The same way you deal with people firmly entrenched in their religious beliefs when you are an atheist. You don't bring it up, unless you know you can have a calm, rational discussion (and you know you won't get kicked out of the house for it. Sadly, I know of some even minor atheists that were kicked out of their homes when they told their parents they don't believe in any god.).

IF the topic comes up again, and the whole flavor thing comes up again, ask your grandfather this. If they were aimed at getting kids back on analogs (which kid use of analogs has DECREASED), why the flavors? Analogs don't have flavors, so, well, no one who ENJOYS flavors, like I'm assuming kids would, and most adults do, would have even LESS reason to smoke analogs. Straight tobacco taste is nasty to me now. Ten to 15 years ago there used to be a buttload of "artificial flavorings", very subtle added to analogs, until the FDA took control of tobacco products and outlawed any analog flavoring other than menthol. Any time they pass a law requiring someone be over 18 to purchase e-cigs or e-cig paraphernalia, I'm in favor it. Luckily, even my local news stations are getting the message that people don't lose their tastebuds at 18, and they enjoy the flavors now more than ever because they can actually TASTE better - and the purpose is to have a vape that tastes better than the analog, right?

But your best bet is to avoid the topic. If it comes up because you both see a news story on it at the same time, or he brings up an article he read, just say, "It's best that we agree to disagree, all right?" Just because you are related and living together doesn't mean you can't have differing opinions, and grandparents, well, they aren't likely to change their opinion. I have a family member who quit by using the patch when they were still by prescription - it took twice as long as it normally would, but it worked - and he sees vaping as just a substitute for smoking, so technically that person is still smoking.....even if a person works their way down to zero nic, he's sure that person would pick up an analog if he/she stopped vaping. He wasn't happy when I told him that the numbers show more people successfully put analogs downs from vaping than by any other method, although we did agree the chemical methods - Wellbutrin and Chantix - are dangerous.

Just keep your head down, and keep telling yourself that it won't be long until you have your own place. And don't talk about subjects that cause arguments.

If you do decide to help him understand vaping ( IF you want to - it's totally up to you) the correct action is not to take up any of his objections at all. Don't even get in to it. Just ask him if he's willing to look at some information. If he is, great. Uma has loads of articles, videos etc of reputable people presenting the truth about vaping posted here on this site you can reference.

If he's not willing, I wouldn't bother pushing it at all.

My father could bery much be that way....we occasionally argues a bit, I always ended it telling him I could go back to smoking if that made him happier.....he usually said "you should quit all of it"....thats from an ex hardcore smoker.

best to just keep a low profile, smile and nod....

Local news ran another story about vaping. Again the usual nobody under 18 and they also touched on no use allowed in theaters. I can agree with that but that's another topic all together.

I was watching this with my grandfather in the room and he asked me "So what do you have to say in defense of what you do." I kindly said "Let's just agree to disagree." He then spews at me "Yeah your just saying that because you know your wrong and you do something that is disgusting." I am trying to not to bite off my tongue right now.

Ughhhh :wallbash:

His definition of alternative method is the patch or gum. Neither worked for me when I tried before I moved back to Texas. This is the only thing that has worked for me that hasn't made me feel sick or feel the desire to smoke analogs.