HOw long to charge?

spydre

Okay, so the battery I was having problems with (I call it Battery 1 as that's how I have it marked for references/testing purposes) - yesterday when I put it on to charge, I cleaned the contacts of both the battery and just in case, the charger. Battery 2 was charging fine, but I thought it may be charging a little slow - but I still got around 18 hours on an unfinished charge (including nighttime when I was sleeping).

I plugged Battery 1 into charge yesterday at 3:30 pm, and by 10:00 am, it still wasn't completely charged. It's a 900 mah ego starter stick. So, um, I'm thinking it's the battery, right?

I'm currently using Battery B (the battery my partner in crime loaned me because he has a Provari and only needs 1 of his stick/starter batteries for occasional back up, it's fully charged, and was turned off when I received it); Battery 2 is currently on the charger, and although Battery 1 is not fully charged, it is in my case as a back up just in case Battery B dies - it shouldn't - while we are out.

So, I'm wondering, just how long IS IT supposed to take for these batteries to charge? It didn't matter so much when my vaping was low enough that one stick battery was lasting me around 24 hours, if not more. But now it's starting to matter, since Battery 1 has such a short lasting time (we'll see if that changes after having cleaned the contacts). Plus, I have three batteries to charge now, unless Battery 1 decides to act right. If it's not acting right, next weekend, or possibly Friday, I will have to take it back to 3DVapor and exchange it, if it can be exchanged this long out.

First, can you tell the brand of charger your using?

Can you tell the brand of battstick?

And are you charging from a wall charger or USB via your computer/laptop??

do you allow your batts to rest after charging ? Or just use them ASAP after charging?

do you allow your batts to rest after charging ? Or just use them ASAP after charging?

This is an interesting question. Why would it make a difference if you let them rest after charging or using them immediately after? I've never heard of this before. What are the advantages vs. disadvantages of letting them rest?

It's eGo 900 mah, and it's the charger that came with it. Both about a month old by now, I guess.

Yesterday, when I got up in the morning, after charging since....well since about 3:30 the day before, Battery 1 finished charging during the night, but, of course, since I was asleep, it was still on the charger. Since the battery I was using, Battery 2, died shortly after that, I just switched them out, put 2 on the charger, and took 1 off the charger @ 9:30 am. It lasted about 6 hours yesterday (the day before it lasted 5 hours).

So this morning, I get up and Battery 1 still isn't fully charged. Battery 2 died between 8:30 and 9:30 am, so I put IT on the charger, and began using Battery B. Battery B died at about 3 or 3:30, I'm assuming partially because I vaped so much in the car on the way over to the hospital, but I wasn't vaping for an hour while we were in the hospital, and it wasn't long after that that Battery B died (so he may have a problem battery as well). So I started using Battery 1, as when we we left the house, it had been charged for longer, and I hope would have had more juice than the only 3 hour charge on Battery 2. At 5:00 pm, after charging for 8 1/2 hours max, Battery 2 was fully charged, and I took it off the charger and put Battery B on the charger. Battery 2 is now turned off. I'm still using Battery 1 to see how long it will last. It charged for, like I said around 18 hours and wasn't fully charged, and that was AFTER I had cleaned both the contacts on the battery, and the contacts on the charger.

Obviously, the problem isn't the charger as it finished charging Battery 2 in about 8 1/2 hours - possibly earlier since I just got home at 4, and didn't check the charge status.

So I'm wondering, how long IS it supposed to take for these batteries to charge?

This is an interesting question. Why would it make a difference if you let them rest after charging or using them immediately after? I've never heard of this before. What are the advantages vs. disadvantages of letting them rest?

inquiring minds Troy ;)

does it mater?

Wow. My e-smart batts take about an hour to charge fully and last about 2 days on one charge.

Hmm That sounds like a good option to have around for an emergency! 1 hour charging time ? doesnt get any better than that unless its a pasthrough then you can use it while you charge !

Thanks. Now, this Battery B (the one I got from the other vaper in my house) was handed to me yesterday, with a full charge. I checked on my charger and it was, indeed, green. So I turned it off and set it aside, and didn't touch it again until 10:10 this morning (found my notes). It lasted from 10:10 'til about 3, and now that other person is looking at me like I'm nuts that it didn't last me that long. The only thing I can think of is that I didn't actually have it off when I set it aside, but I'm pretty sure I remember turning it on this morning, but who knows. That's why I'm gathering data over a matter of days to a week.

Interestingly, even though Battery 1 was NOT completely charged when I started using it this afternoon, it's been 7 hours, and I'm just now getting the lack of vapor that I associate with a dying battery.

Never heard of them, but two days on one hour charge? What mah rating are the batteries? Not questioning you but that is unbelievable to me.

I have no idea about the mah rating, I never checked since this is my starter kit. I don't really chain vape, usually just like, I'm going to ball park it at maybe 30 "hits" on my breaks at work.? With a three hour span between breaks. I use it maybe 4 hours in the entire day.

I have no idea about the mah rating, I never checked since this is my starter kit. I don't really chain vape, usually just like, I'm going to ball park it at maybe 30 "hits" on my breaks at work.? With a three hour span between breaks. I use it maybe 4 hours in the entire day.

That may be why it lasts so long. I'm disabled, so I can vape whenever I want, lol.

That may be why it lasts so long. I'm disabled, so I can vape whenever I want, lol.

I vape about 2ml a day, my wife as it turns out vapes closer to 4 or 5. Both our jobs are vape friendly and I can sit in my office and vape away lol. Then at home. I have a hard time finding a place I cannot vape to be honest, outside of businesses and restaurants and even they mostly allow it. If not, the bathroom works for me haha.

I vape about 2ml a day, my wife as it turns out vapes closer to 4 or 5. Both our jobs are vape friendly and I can sit in my office and vape away lol. Then at home. I have a hard time finding a place I cannot vape to be honest, outside of businesses and restaurants and even they mostly allow it. If not, the bathroom works for me haha.

I haven't tried it in businesses yet, but I've only been INSIDE of two non-vape stores since starting, other than the venue where the graduation/going away party was, and I didn't do it inside there because there were a couple people with asthma there, and I'd never vaped in a closed room with them, or even inside with them, so I didn't want to risk it and cause an asthma attack that would ruin the party (these are people that I've learned, over the years, start wheezing from a normal perfume application).

As for homes, I usually ask. Well, at the family reunion, I didn't ask my cousin, hubby just automatically said don't do it in the house, and I haven't asked at someone else's house that I've been to a few times because, again, a history of hospitalizing asthma, so I didn't want to take any chances, and have her husband mad at me for it. My mom's house? I can vape in, while my father can't smoke in it! (I still can't believe he's still smoking 13 years after mom quit and made him start smoking outside. He did quit smoking for a couple months...but then he had a massive health scare, like close to death, and I think the fear after getting out the hospital from that, even though he still had aspiration pneumonia, led him to pick up the analogs again. Either that, or he gave into the urge to smoke when he was out with friends and didn't have his lozenges with him, and it led him right back to his normal habit.

That reminds me, I have to ask hubby is my snoring has improved. I know it won't have gone away completely, because I have hereditary sleep apnea, but I'd like to know if it's improved.

Was instructed by a battery geek to rest my rechargables for at least a hour before use...something about extending life and not venting batts.

I heard that many times. Something about allowing the chemical reaction to complete before reversing it.

Similarly, fast charge and slow (normal) charge. Fast charge may finish sooner but it may actually hold less charge.

I never pull one off the charger and put it into use immediately but not because of this, just because I am never ready to use it. As soon as one dies it goes on a charger, and it usually a couple days before I need that one again. At any rate it gets plenty of time to "cool down" so to speak. I had never heard that it is good for my battery before. Thats good news though!

Edited by bcartervol98

A few random thoughts.

It's kinda useless to ask for opinions as there can be quite a bit of manufacturer diversity involved. The old apples and oranges deal.

@ the OP, if both batteries are identical (same manufacturer and same age) it sure sounds like one is bad.

Also determining a 'full charge' by the the light can be a false assumption.

With a regular charger (using 14500, 18650 etc) they will try to charge a cell to 4.2V, but they will not start the charging process unless the voltage is below a certain threshold. Pop in a cell that is at ~4.1V and the light will not change (to charging color) it will act/look as if it's fully charged.

And although 4.1V sounds pretty good, in actually the battery is only at about ~80% capacity.

With the Vision Spinners it is sort of the same. The power light goes off about 30-40 minutes before the light on the charger goes green. If I unplug at any point after the power light goes off,but before the charger light turns green, I cannot plug it back in and restart the charging process and the battery has a noticeably shorter life for that charge. I do not plug them in anywhere that I do not have a full 5 hours to let the process complete.

Okay, now I'm wondering something else, well, two something elses.

1) Even if a stick battery is turned off, is it possible for it to lose charge? At 9:30 last night, Battery 2 (my "good" battery) finished charging it. I turned it off and set it aside to charge another battery. Then at 9:30 this am, I picked it up, turned it on, and began using it. It died at 4:30 - so about what, 7 hours? Could it have lost some of it's charge from sitting, even when not turned on?

OR conversely

2) is it possible that my vaping has increased sooo much over the last week that a battery that would last me between 12 and 18 hours would only last me 7 hours now? Most of the time today, I was messing with the computer or my phone, so I wasn't vaping as much as I would be, say, if I was just sitting watching TV (although I play with my phone then, too, lol).

Battery "B" is giving me about the same amount of time in use - so is it just possible that we are are somehow already at the end of the stick batteries natural lives? I know for certain they haven't been charged anywhere near 300 times. Contacts on all stick batteries have been cleaned, contacts on the charger have been cleaned.

Wow. A lot of complexity here that I havent experienced.

I have all Joye-tech ego batts, variable and fixed. I used to not charge them until they fully ran down. Then i did quite a bit of research on batteries of the ego variety and lith ion batteries in general. I now charge my batteries whenever I want without regard to charge cycle. Ive charged them at various levels of charge, even when they are at 70 - 80 - 90%. . I have noticed no difference in charge life.

Apparently even if the battery is on or off the drop in life is miniscule. Not enough to even think about. I havent found it to make any difference.

There is some evidence that "charge ind light" can come on before battery is fully charged but it is a small factor. A few percent.

The number one factor in battery life is compatible charger. The charger must be rated for the battery.

The number 2 factor is heat. Leaving batteries exposed to heat shortens battery life.

And of course discharge varies with load. You will get different life based on coil draw.

After that it's just how much your vaping!

As usual, the previous is my educated opinion and subject to human folly and fate. YMMV

Cheers